Author Topic: car derived sxs  (Read 52755 times)

Offline deranged

Re: car derived sxs
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2020, 06:01:31 AM »
Welllll, it IS a rear shot...............................
LMAO
I live nowhere near a desert....

Offline deranged

« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2020, 06:01:58 AM »
the one trip i forget a belt they were just waiting to get nasty pics  LMAO LMAO sick sob's  LMAO LMAO   baloo i do not have any pics at work with me. i will look around tonight and see what i still have.

LMAO

Offline deranged

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2020, 06:05:25 AM »
Just to plug a little info in here.  I personally am not a fan of the center rear brake.  If you jam on the brakes all of the rear end joints have to unload and are taking a beating to slow down the tires and the car.  Outboard brakes once applied it has to stop the wheel and there is no shock loading and unloading of the driveline components. 
I hope I said that in a way that it makes sense.  I can see it in my head.  LOL

Justin

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2020, 08:18:56 AM »
Just to plug a little info in here.  I personally am not a fan of the center rear brake.  If you jam on the brakes all of the rear end joints have to unload and are taking a beating to slow down the tires and the car.  Outboard brakes once applied it has to stop the wheel and there is no shock loading and unloading of the driveline components. 

Justin
Completely agree. Inboard brakes are not a good idea off road. For a track car ,trying to eliminate all the unsprung weight as possible for handling,yes but not offroad for the reason you gave.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2020, 09:05:57 AM »

Justin

im with you both on this one, l like my  brakes  at the wheel end  :)

Offline Baloo

« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2020, 11:23:05 PM »
  morning guys
              i was tiding the workshop yesterday and came across these mx5 rear hubs,   the top fixing point is about an inch further inboard than the bottom   why would they do that ?      other wise they look to have potential to use instead of making hubs ?

anyway i think i have made the decision to build  a buggy based on the mazda RX8 that is parked around the back   ;)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2020, 10:47:01 AM »
theres a lot to it but simple answer is ......factory uses 4" of travel with a max of 6". 4" and still has bump steer, just controlable through power steering untill shock, struts and bushings wear.  moral of it..... dont do what they do lol lol you waant 12" travel so you need to build yours 3 times better.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Baloo

« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
  well i guess that makes sense   so im going to have to build my own hubs then

i went round the back of the barn the other day to have a look at the RX8 thats been there for 2 years

so thats the car thats going to give up its axle engine and box      but before i strip it   i think it would be a good idea to separate the engine wiring harness and get it running while its still in the body 

so with that in mind i called round at my pals who builds rotary engines for a living  a few cups of tea and lots of chat and i leave with this for free  an engineless damaged rx8  with running gear wheels tyres and seats which  will enable me to start mocking up suspension with out waiting till i strip the black one

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2020, 05:13:26 PM »
not bad at all. those are fun cars to drive btw. so that shot of it sitting on its side, you can see the line the suspension pivots on and part of that is to min axle plunge during the stroke which again is prob 4" maybe 6" on the extreme. there are other factors at play but none that want for 12" travel

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2020, 07:33:23 AM »
theres a lot to it but simple answer is ......factory uses 4" of travel with a max of 6". 4" and still has bump steer, just controlable through power steering untill shock, struts and bushings wear.  moral of it..... dont do what they do lol lol you waant 12" travel so you need to build yours 3 times better.
Ummmm,those are rear hubs/arms. No bumpsteer will happen. They did them like that to get a camber change throughout vertical travel with the intent of improving handling performance during cornering.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2020, 10:14:25 AM »
Ummmm,those are rear hubs/arms. No bumpsteer will happen. They did them like that to get a camber change throughout vertical travel with the intent of improving handling performance during cornering.

a camber change is one part of that rear suspension design. i have always called it bump steer, but i guess i dont know the true term. so  when i call it bump steer for rear suspension, i mean when it reacts like a front end that has bump steer issues. the efeects are less drastic in the rear but none the less very real.   this happens , on pass cars and truck rear ends, when the suspension is allowed/ moves beyond it intended use. the shocks are bad on my f350 dually, every larger bump i hit on the way back from witchita kicked my back end over a noticable amount.  uncontrolled steering moment is my definition of bump steer. the back end will get squirrly and can begin to dart left or right which will give most the sensation its the front. i have even seen/experienced this on 3x3 trailing arms rear ends. that is why i learned how to adjust them , after someone thought it was my front end that cause his bump steer.   with the rx8's rear end design as well as others of similar design, they are more proned to " bump steer" effects when suspension wears . i see this daily
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 10:19:24 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2020, 11:14:04 AM »
I see what you are referring to but it isn't called bump steer.It's called wore the eff out crap that causes what you are referring to.   5: :D :D   Baloos question was why the different mounting points and it is simply to create camber change to improve cornering. Simple as that. On long travel rear suspensions it will also possibly limit travel due to increased outboard cv anglesas the suspension droops. I KNOW you know this but just wanted to clarify.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »

I see what you are referring to but it isn't called bump steer.It's called wore the eff out crap that causes what you are referring to.   5: :D :D   Baloos question was why the different mounting points and it is simply to create camber change to improve cornering. Simple as that. On long travel rear suspensions it will also possibly limit travel due to increased outboard cv anglesas the suspension droops. I KNOW you know this but just wanted to clarify.

LMAO

yes that angle on the uprights in baloo's pic is for geometry change. i did not answer that question in detail because it doesnt apply to a 12" stroke irs build.    the explanation i would have to type out to actually explain all the wild angles in that rearend would be lengthy.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2020, 04:20:40 AM »
i got the jist of that boys

ive stripped what i want of the rx8

and guess what  the drive shafts are not equal length    5:  anyway i guess i can just  use 2 drivers side ones to equal it up

Offline Baloo

« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2020, 04:22:09 AM »
i will  get the diff and driveshafts set up on  a bench and see what we can come up with  i guess i have to make a hub first ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal