Author Topic: car derived sxs  (Read 52125 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: car derived sxs
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2020, 09:56:38 AM »
Welllll, it IS a rear shot...............................
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:10 AM »
the one trip i forget a belt they were just waiting to get nasty pics  LMAO LMAO sick sob's  LMAO LMAO   baloo i do not have any pics at work with me. i will look around tonight and see what i still have.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »
also..... basically you pic a size of carrier that will fit nicely inside the rim your going to use and then match those measurements back at the frame. pivots on the same plane at the same moment in a perfect world.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2020, 01:20:17 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
i posted those two links for the pictures more than anything. so basically you either design a carrier based on how you build the trans/engine cradle or build the carriers then build the cradle to match. when i say cradle i mean the structure surrounding the trans that your a-arms or radius rods will bolt to. i am not sure if your going to use heims or bushings.  of course the carrier will need to fit inside your rim with brakes attached. the brakes have gotten  overlooked on a few here and there lol. so i always want the biggest carrier i can fit inside the rim, for support.  you want the a-arms ( i will assume your building a-arms) mounts/ pivot points centered down the centerline of the cv as close to center as possible.  now there are variations to that and they are acceptable. if you pitch the upper pivots in ahead of the cv centerline then you want the lowers inside of the cv so that the imaginary line drawn from center of top bolt to bottom bolt, runs through the cv.  now if you design it this way then it needs to match at the trans side and i mean match as in the same direction. everything needs to pivot on the same lines at the same time to minimize axle plunge. you don't want any bind either which is why the cv needs to pivot on the same axis as the a arm pivots/bolt centers. i am adding a pic of an old cad print from my early sand rail design. p2 represents the center of the cv.  now to illustrate or better explain what i was saying above....    if p1 stuck out farther past the cv then p3 would need to be shorter/closer to the carrier so the center line of the pivots still ran through the cv. now in doing this, it complicates the trans side or trans output flange cv side.  that cad print is of a bike powered rail rear end that used a sprocket. included a pic of that center carrier that the rotor and sprocket bolted to. you can see the studs sticking out that the cv's bolted to. this should help explain the center area of the cad print. the last cad print is of the carrier i used for that rail. it used a 97 jeep cherokee front wheel bearing
( 4x4 of course) and the 27 spline stub axle off the cherokee for u joint axles or you can buy 27 spline cv axle from karteck.  that carrier was for a 12" rim so you could square it off and expand for a 15" rim. you would need to weld tabs on or something to reach out to the center of the cv.  i don't know if i am the best person to try and explain this. i do know it with out thinking about it but cannot always illustrate it very well. 
the last pic was an unfortunate break but you can see at the trans side how the line up the same as at the wheel. yes there u joints and i still pre fer u joints and yes i am currently running cv's. long story as to why lol

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
those pics got shuffled. you'll know which i was referring too.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »
these are the carriers in the cad pring

Offline Baloo

« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
thank you for your help   im reading and wading through the pics
so ive more or less discounted the transverse engine due to the unequal length driveshafts so that leave me with 2 cars here
that i can use,  one is a vw pasasat  which has the easy to configure transaxle  the other is a mazda RX8   5:
yes i know not that well looked on over here for longevity but its a buggy that probably doesn't do 50 miles a year   but on the plus sie it has an irs diff that would be easy to package ?  and that rotary engine might be interesting as its going to rev a lot more rhan a piston engine,  10,000 i am being told   that would give me a lot more flexibility out on the track, select second and thats it   a bit like an auto
what are your thoughts on an RX8 as a base ?

Offline Baloo

« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »

hi ds   do you  run with front brakes only ?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2020, 03:00:21 PM »

hi ds   do you  run with front brakes only ?

those were used on bike powered so the brakes were in the center. they are independent however they are also live rearends so one brake across from the sprocket.
 here is an early version

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 03:02:48 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »
thank you for your help   im reading and wading through the pics
so ive more or less discounted the transverse engine due to the unequal length driveshafts so that leave me with 2 cars here
that i can use,  one is a vw pasasat  which has the easy to configure transaxle  the other is a mazda RX8   5:
yes i know not that well looked on over here for longevity but its a buggy that probably doesn't do 50 miles a year   but on the plus sie it has an irs diff that would be easy to package ?  and that rotary engine might be interesting as its going to rev a lot more rhan a piston engine,  10,000 i am being told   that would give me a lot more flexibility out on the track, select second and thats it   a bit like an auto
what are your thoughts on an RX8 as a base ?

as far as my thoughts on a wankle engine in a sand rail  ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
i really like rotory engines

Offline dsrace