Author Topic: DS a-arm kit information needed.  (Read 101856 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: DS a-arm kit information needed.
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2021, 06:32:16 AM »
I'm sure DS(Brian) will be here before long to answer any questions you may have. He has been very helpful to his buyers.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2021, 06:56:29 AM »
like fabr said, all have been happy. installation will differ from frame desing to frame design and skill level. some have it done in two easy days and some take a week or 2. again, that depends on frame design, skill level and available tools.  there 101 a arm front end out that have been installed, that number says something about them. they are for sale on sandparts.com .......there are a few different conversion threads on here with progress pics.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline big dave

« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2021, 08:13:01 AM »
i have had mine for around 8 year very well built and reliable system.

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2021, 07:30:22 PM »
i have had mine for around 8 year very well built and reliable system.

How is the ride and handling compared to a well set up beam?

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2021, 07:39:46 PM »
like fabr said, all have been happy. installation will differ from frame desing to frame design and skill level. some have it done in two easy days and some take a week or 2. again, that depends on frame design, skill level and available tools.  there 101 a arm front end out that have been installed, that number says something about them. they are for sale on sandparts.com .......there are a few different conversion threads on here with progress pics.

Appreciate  the feedback
It does seem like it could be pretty straightforward doing the swap with how it comes as an assembly. Been looking for as much info as I can on it to try to picture how I may want the finish product to look. Seems like there are many options.

Do you know if these units are prebuilt and ready to ship or are they built to order?

Thanks

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2021, 08:46:10 AM »
both depending on demand.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
yes the kits are weld on. there is some fab work but minor compared to 99% of others.

https://dtsfab.com/index.php?topic=4054.0

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2021, 06:07:04 PM »
yes the kits are weld on. there is some fab work but minor compared to 99% of others.

https://dtsfab.com/index.php?topic=4054.0

Nice.  Thanks for the link and the pics. 

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »

This is what I am considering updating the kit to. Older pic though. Rear has been updated to coil overs along with some other upgrades. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:12:50 PM by Aprilfools »

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
At this point I'm going to chime in on this.  The DS front end kits are very well designed and work well.  I'm positive there are no unhappy customers that have converted their sand cars from beams or crappy geometry a-arm fronts.  Positive!.   However there is a lot of good to be said for well set up beam fronts when it comes to rugged durability for hitting rocks and snagging trees and stuff. From the pic I may be wrong but it appears your buggy may fall into the rocks and tree obstacle use? If its primary use is sand and open country then there is no way I'd keep the beam.   Just food for thought. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Aprilfools

• Fabricator
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2021, 09:26:50 PM »
At this point I'm going to chime in on this.  The DS front end kits are very well designed and work well.  I'm positive there are no unhappy customers that have converted their sand cars from beams or crappy geometry a-arm fronts.  Positive!.   However there is a lot of good to be said for well set up beam fronts when it comes to rugged durability for hitting rocks and snagging trees and stuff. From the pic I may be wrong but it appears your buggy may fall into the rocks and tree obstacle use? If its primary use is sand and open country then there is no way I'd keep the beam.   Just food for thought.

Thanks for the reply, good info.
I'm in Michigan, we make a few trips to the dunes each summer and primarily just trail ride through the woods and back roads. My beam is very heavy built so I would assume the stronger of the options, but I think for the riding we do this DS set up should be ok. How does it compare in whooped out sections and handling minor jumps at the dunes?

I see in most applications I've seen pictures of, air shocks are the more used shocks, are these preferred over coil overs with this kit for a certain reason or just a personal preference?

Thanks

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2021, 09:42:38 PM »

Thanks for the reply, good info.
I'm in Michigan, we make a few trips to the dunes each summer and primarily just trail ride through the woods and back roads. My beam is very heavy built so I would assume the stronger of the options, but I think for the riding we do this DS set up should be ok. How does it compare in whooped out sections and handling minor jumps at the dunes?

I see in most applications I've seen pictures of, air shocks are the more used shocks, are these preferred over coil overs with this kit for a certain reason or just a personal preference?

Thanks
The set up will easily handle anything you wish to do with it in the dunes. No problem.   The air shocks is what the designer has always used from the beginning and I think most buyers have followed suit. They do work well.  I believe that if you were to go coil carriers with bypasses you would have a set up as good as any $$$$ setups out there including the $$$$$$ cars. There is no comparision between an air shock vs simple dual rate coil over vs coil carrier/bypass combo. It's a good/good/best comparision.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:48:52 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »
BTW,we have 2 dtsfab group meet ups a year at Little Sahara Oklahoma. Our next one is Oct 18-22 ride days. You are certainly invited. We would love to have you. We have members all over the US that come. Literally, east coast to west and North border area to florida. It's worth the drive.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2021, 06:13:23 AM »
fabr touched on some very good points and thanks for the compliment fabr!

the air shocks are the easiest for new to the game people to understand, adjust and install. they are also the cheapest and lightest weight. this has always been the appeal for most but you can use what ever shock you want. when i built them in the beginning i never included from lower shock mounts as it's best to set you own shock mounts up for the finished frame. i had many many people say i really needed to include lower shock mounts, so i started. as most of the experienced dts members know, universal seldom works perfectly. i just happen to know the new builder doesn't offer lower shock mounts either.  if you are running trails and hook a tree at speed, an a arm will likely bend or deform at the least. as fabr mentioned, an a arm will not bounce off like a beam front end..... depending on speed and where they hit that is. i'd like to see a side pic w/o the skin and a measurement between the upper and lower main frame tubes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal