Author Topic: Proper brake bleeding  (Read 2807 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Proper brake bleeding
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
This is one of those things that always seems to be a mystery to many.I hope this guideline will help.

Do's and don'ts.

DO fill mc reservior and check it OFTEN(every 2-4 pedal strokes).
  Do stroke the pedal slowly.
  DO NOT "pump" the pedal.
  DO NOT use large amounts of pedal pressure. Doing so can force the air into "solution" with the brake fluid much like CO2 is in solution with the pop in the can. You DO NOT want that. It will later appear as a bubble in the fluid.

START AT FURTHEST CYLINDER FROM MASTER CYLINDER
1.Fill reservoir.
2.Put cap on loosely.This is to stop the fountain of fluid that can happen from splashing everywhere.
3.If this is a new install open bleeders and let any fluid that will flow flow and close bleeders.     
4.Clean off bleeder screws if dirty.
5.Depress brake pedal.Do not use a lot of pressure.Just enough to push the pedal to the floor when bleeder is opened.Do not worry if pedal goes all the way to floor before opening bleeder. Do NOT pump pedal.One stroke at a time!
6.Open bleed screw.You may not have any fluid escape for a few tries.
7.Close bleed screw.
8.Release pedal.
9.Repeat till fluid comes out without air.you will not have a firm pedal yet.Don't worry.
10.Move to the NEXT FURTHEST cylinder from the master cylinder.
   REPEAT STEPS1-10 for the remaining wheel cylinders.
When doing the last cylinder you should begin to have a firm pedal if you have follow the procedures with the earlier cylinders. Again DO NOT use excessive pedal effort.None is needed.

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

Re: Proper brake bleeding
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
Good right up master. The first time i did this i pumped the brakes like a mad man and it took forever to get all the air out of the lines.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:01 PM »
I second that.. How but more write ups like that one, maybe one on First time start up of a efi motor that is what is in my future..

VLADD

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:09:29 AM »
And make damn sure your assistant is pushing the right pedal ii:
I dated this really hot cheerleader chick in hi-school I spent over an hour under my camaro bleeding the brakes......silly broad was pumping the clutch...Too bad she liked my stickshift so much :o

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 06:19:02 AM »
I have seen Fabrs way work sometimes but I have had a lot better luck doing it slightly different if the system is new/empty or new parts that are empty.

My way usually takes two people unless you can be at the bleed point and reach the pedal or brake lever.

Once you are ready to start bleeding the brakes start as he stated at the farthest one from the master cylinder then work your way to the next closest.

You open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and then tell your person whos working the pedal or lever (Lets pretend its a pedal for this sake) You tell them "Go down". They should then with a nice slow complete stroke go all the way down and once there they HOLD IT and say "Down". 
At this point you close the bleeder screw and say "Up". Then the person who is working the pedal slowly and smoothly lets the pedal up and when its there they say "Up".

At this point you open the bleeder and say "Down" again and of course repeat the process.

This methoed has moved a lot of fluid for me a lot faster when the system is empty (new or replaced lines,cylinders etc.)

Once you get a smooth rythym and signs of fluid flow to the wheel cylinders (The person at the wheel cylinders is "The boss" making the calls.) The person at the wheel cylinder SHOULD be able to start opening the bleeder screw a little later as the pressure builds to allow a tiny pressure to build up to prevent air from backing in and then starts closing it right at the end while fluid is still flowing out.

This has worked better for me in systems that have a lot of air in them. 

Once you have fluid to all fours then I do it one last time like Fabr described to make sure its good.

I have had systems we could not get to bleed at all without doing this. Sometimes my stuff sometimes equipment at job sites I was working on with company mechanics. There were a few who had never seen my way but after being frustrated with the way they were trying it with no results they tried my way to complete surprise. If you cannot get it to work the one way try the other.     
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »
You tell them "Go down". ... This methoed has moved a lot of fluid for me ...

Let me get this straight - No donkeys but this is cool? 

(Go ahead and delete - I know, sooooo off topic....)
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 08:50:06 AM »
Sorry I was not in a perveted state of mind when I typed that. But.....

Just say "Press down" and "Let it up" then.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »
I was just poking   ff: - not at you Nutz.  ;D 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:01:36 AM by yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 09:13:38 AM »
I know but as you pointed out it does sound funny when you put together what you did. I also saw the other post I believe your reffering to. heehaw :]

I still think its a good way to bleed empty brakes.

(I coulda said bleed breaks...  Wait theres that perv again.) 

plkracer

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »
 :u lol I love that smilie. Thanks for the humor yummi.

trently

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
Over the year's I've had the best luck with a plain ol' Mytevac (sp?). Just pull the clean fluid thru the system , Works great

Trent

Admin

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »
On a new system, I generally stick a piece of tubing on the bleed valve and insert it directly into the brake fluid container, giver a few pumps, then after doing all 4 that way, I do each individual one to get the small air out...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal