Author Topic: Weight Distributing Hitch or air bags on a light duty vehicle  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Weight Distributing Hitch or air bags on a light duty vehicle
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:01:33 AM »
All you pep's using air bags.  What would the life of them be in terms of rubber rot and the such?  Two years three what?
I am thinking of installing a set on my one ton to help counter the wave motion on rolling bumpy hi way's. I pull a 5ver loaded wighing in at about 17.000 LB's.  I think that is 7711.2 KG for you down under guy's.

I have had some on a 95 half ton for at least 7 years.  I have had more trouble with the pump than anything.  No problems with the bags.  All half tons are not created equal either.  The axles/brakes on a 90's chevy are easily as heavy duty or heavier than a 70-80's 3/4 ton.  I don't know if the bags will help with bucking on crappy highways.  They are just an extra spring.  They don't really affect anything except ride heigth that I can tell.  They might make an improvement if it keeps you from bouncing off of overloads or bump stops.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:07:39 AM »
Yeah buddy.I've used both and IMO bug would be far ahead to use the bags. If he needs a sway control that is easily added to any hitch. Just a tab to weld on .
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 08:07:44 AM »
Bags still will have the same load on the rear tires, they wont transfer any load to the front like a WD am I not correct?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
I have had some on a 95 half ton for at least 7 years.  I have had more trouble with the pump than anything.  No problems with the bags.  All half tons are not created equal either.  The axles/brakes on a 90's chevy are easily as heavy duty or heavier than a 70-80's 3/4 ton.  I don't know if the bags will help with bucking on crappy highways.  They are just an extra spring.  They don't really affect anything except ride heigth that I can tell.  They might make an improvement if it keeps you from bouncing off of overloads or bump stops.

I think that bouncing off the overloads mite be some of the problem.  And then when the weight comes back down it gives it the submarine dive effect.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:37 AM »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »
I think that bouncing off the overloads mite be some of the problem.  And then when the weight comes back down it gives it the submarine dive effect.

Bouncing off the overloads is a big problem.  I had a 96 GMC dually that had overloads, and when empty, the right bump or railroad tracks would smack your head aginst the roof.  It was wiplash central.  With the right loading just above the overloads, and the right road with waves or even rough concrete divides, it was almost undriveable it was so rough.

Admin

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 08:21:25 AM »
Rear axle is about 30" from the bumper, add 400lbs, of cargo, in reality I already have my tounge weight accounted for, then add a trailer on top of that at 400lb tounge weight and she is loaded... Either way Air bags Vs WD cost is about the same, Air bags stay with the van when it goes, WD does not, Wd likely will make my van handle much beeter steering etc, Im not worried about the 50 mile trip to durhamtown, I am more so worried about the 1000 mile trip home/ little sahara etc.. Both of my toys weigh in roughly 1200/1000 lbs, this trailer i have there isnt much room for adjusting the load, just pick which one needs to go on front/rear... When i came down here i had the trailer and the van loaded, the back tires were even squated down.. ;D

Admin

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »
I am just taking a crap shoot guess at trailer weight as well. I could be way off, I am guessing unloaded it weighs 1500 lbs, prowler was 1100 stock, im gonna say 1200 now, Drak was adverted at 795, im gonna say more like 900, another 500lb of shit in the back of the van...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »
Do what you want but IMO you are making a mistake using a WD hitch. I'll never go with a WD again.Hell I'd sell you mine cheap but I use the hitch with it's 2 5/16 ball too much as it is.  Hell just the hitch weighs about 60 pounds all by itself.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 08:34:24 AM »
I got a spare receiver to cure that problem..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
How's a receiver gonna fix what problem?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 08:46:38 AM »
Do what you want but IMO you are making a mistake using a WD hitch. I'll never go with a WD again.Hell I'd sell you mine cheap but I use the hitch with it's 2 5/16 ball too much as it is.  Hell just the hitch weighs about 60 pounds all by itself.

Like so... :)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »
Ahhh,I see what you mean. Nope,won't help tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »
Who says the bags have to be sold with the truck? Take them off in that case. If you can build a buggy I bet you could make some brackets to put the bags on a new rig. ;)
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
I'm surprised bug didn't think of that.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal