Author Topic: Welding Accidents  (Read 971 times)

FeedBot

Welding Accidents
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
Welding Accidents

Hazardous Potential Energy

Hazardous Potential Energy

I think it's ok to laugh at this video.. the guy just bounces off the pipe like he's riding a bronco.  LOL but it soon becomes sobering when you  realize this could happen to anyone.  It's not so easy to see potential energy stored in everyday things or jobs we are doing... and  It really hurts when we get hit with that (now kinetic) energy.  This potential energy is best described as some weight up high that can drop on you, or a compressed spring ready to deliver a punch. Flammable or Explosive liquids and gasses also fit into the category of hazardous potential energy.  Something as simple as cutting open a 55 gal drum, wood dust in a dust collector, an acetylene bottle cracked open, any of which could kill you. Huge pieces of metal fall on people... dead.  I've even heard of a guy at the sewage plant who finished work one day, closed up everything and went home. The next morning he started right where he left off by opening a pipe plug... little did he know that the system had built up pressure during the night and when the plug was loose enough, it hit him right between the eyes. Then, surviving that, he had to endure months of other issues when the literal crap in the system entered his blood stream adding many other complications.  I could go on... but I think I'll just get to the important list.  Here it is

Forms of energy

Potential

Stored energy that can be drawn upon to do work. Suspended loads, compressed springs, and pressurized hydraulic systems are examples. Potential energy can be converted to kinetic energy and many of the other energy forms described below.

Kinetic

Energy resulting from moving objects such as released loads and uncoiling springs. When these objects are released, their potential energy is converted to kinetic energy.

Flammable

Energy converted from the combustion of gasses, liquids, solid chemicals, and vapors.

Chemical

The capacity of a substance to do work or produce heat through a change in its composition. Chemical energy can be converted from gasses, liquids, solid chemicals, and vapors.

Electrical

Energy generated through the conversion of other forms such as mechanical, thermal, or chemical energy. Energy stored between plates of a charged capacitor is an example of potential electrical energy. Typical electrical energy sources include open busbars, motors, and generators.

Thermal

Energy transferred from one body to another as the result of a difference in temperature. Heat flows from the hotter to the cooler body. Sources include mechanical work, radiation, chemical reactions, and electrical resistance.

Source: Welding Accidents

Via RSS and the FeedBot.

This is from the fine folks at http://welding-blog.com.  Looks like a good resource of information to learn some new skills, etc.  

Feel free to discuss?  

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Welding Accidents
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:57:14 AM »
BIL was killed with stored energy when the beam he was cutting from a column sprung only about 3". It was enough to make him lose balance and fall about 30 feet. Long before the days of fall protection.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal