Author Topic: "Road Rail" Design (UK)  (Read 20213 times)

wightsparks

Re: "Road Rail" Design (UK)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 03:23:31 PM »
so only you can choose your level of difficulty. as far as what you want to build... if one had to choose from those pics, this on would be the easiest to duplicate with out plans.
I like it and the Tomala. Either would be pretty easy to build.

Actually they are the same! - or possibly the frame is a copy of the Tomala. The Tomala guy is Polish and has build thread but I need to sign up to a Polish forum to see it and get hold of him  - failing so far even with google translate!

As Fabr says I don't need lots of travel 8-10" will be fine. The VW rear rorsion bar set up is what I put on the Fug from a Porsche 944 so i may well do that again.

dsrace - thanks for the frame design input.

Baloo - someone just posted on my thread in the mig forum with a fug - he might have a set of panels.  I would want to lower the engine on the Suzuki if I went that route.

Don't think they will be Rallying Binky - far too much gadgetry, fun to watch but hugely over engineered.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
Ya,electric powered tilt fronts are not typical race fare. I truly enjoy the build though. I do like how they try to tell just how many "easy fabbing" things take well------FOREVER to do well.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
still fun to watch
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

wightsparks

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Somehow I missed Baloo's thread on here about the "beach buggy" I have seen it elsewhere in less detail but this pic jumped out

Coupled with the idea that I can get a 2.5L V6 version of the Suzuki Vittara, remove the FWD bit of the 4WD and drop the engine lower - or get the RWD version if such a thing exists - might get me close to what I am looking for.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:24:29 PM by wightsparks »

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »
just needs a roll cage  ;D

Offline Grimm Reaper Racing

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »
https://i.postimg.cc/p5jcf7gm/9t-YWd3-BSw-RE1.jpg

This looks pretty interesting.  Beefy, heavy, but I like it.
See you all duneside.😎🤙

wightsparks

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
Some build photo's mixed in with other designs and stuff here http://mudmasters.pl/

Offline Baloo

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
Somehow I missed Baloo's thread on here about the "beach buggy" I have seen it elsewhere in less detail but this pic jumped out

Coupled with the idea that I can get a 2.5L V6 version of the Suzuki Vittara, remove the FWD bit of the 4WD and drop the engine lower - or get the RWD version if such a thing exists - might get me close to what I am looking for.

hi yes 2wd vitaras exist, and that pic is well old lol
it ended up with a 3.9 rover engine and a fugative bonnet

so that is a mk 1 vitara chassis  mk 2  has some differences which imho are good

mk has power steering rack not the vague steering box of the mk1
mk 2 has 5 link rear axle not the the 3 link
mk 2 has lower front strut mounts easier to hide under the body work

you can get a V8 lower than the suspension tops

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:37:16 PM by Baloo »

wightsparks

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Mk2 is up to 2005 yes?
If I can lower the engine and keep the 8 points it gets interesting.

Alternatively, in a too much coffee moment I wondered if it was possible to reverse the gearbox output/drive and run the whole thing backwards giving me rear engined 4WD   8)

Offline Baloo

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 02:09:12 AM »
Mk2 is up to 2005 yes?
If I can lower the engine and keep the 8 points it gets interesting.

Alternatively, in a too much coffee moment I wondered if it was possible to reverse the gearbox output/drive and run the whole thing backwards giving me rear engined 4WD   8)

hi
   yes 2005 they finished might be a few 2006 out there
  you can get reverse drive transfer boxes but they will probably be remote boxes like a Suzuki  sj or g wagon, think milner and raceway make them but price will make your eyes water
http://www.rakeway.co.uk/page12.html

the other issue I see with rear engine is that it will be above the rear diff which rises and falls with the suspension travel
unlike the front diff which is fixed so you will have to mount the engine high to give clearance and its already a tall engine

I pondered using a Subaru engine up front, nice low flat 4 or 6  with a nice engine sound,  however the drivers side exhaust exits straight at the front prop shaft  so maybe a Subaru engine in the rear ?   mated to a 2wd box feeding a reverse rotation remote transfer   simples  ;D

Offline Baloo

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 02:21:29 AM »
Subaru have been making cars for much longer than most of us think, some early models had a separate chassis with a rear engine and 4wd, I have a sambar rolling chassis from 1980, at least I think its a sambar  it came as a rolling chassis, will get some pics of it

Subaru also made a small 3 cylinder engine car with cvt transmission  that was 4 wd as well  that has potential to make into something too , like this guy

http://subarujusty.proboards.com/thread/2684/4x4-justy-buggy 

wightsparks

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »
Yes I had considered the Subaru engine as well. Probably need to mate it to the existing transmission though to keep the 8 points.

Saw your Justy project, did you finish it?

I'll be keeping my eye out for a cheap LWB Grand Vitara <2005 then.  Though that will need another garage, but if I build a scratch frame I can get it almost finished in the space I have. decisions, decisions!

No rush, still have the electric reverse trike to finish..

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 04:16:31 PM »
so did any of the manufacturers over there across the pond make a v8 front wheel drive car? as in for a rear engine turn it sideways and weld the spiders in the diff then run a drive shaft to an independent front and rear diff??

Offline Baloo

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 02:47:10 AM »
so did any of the manufacturers over there across the pond make a v8 front wheel drive car? as in for a rear engine turn it sideways and weld the spiders in the diff then run a drive shaft to an independent front and rear diff??

not to my knowledge, biggest transverse I think I have seen is a V6  Toyota or jag,  I think  wrightsparks wants to use an un modified chassis so he can keep the title of the vehicle it came off  mounting a transverse engine and box amidships is going to call for chassis mods meaning he wont be able to use the title anyway ,and you would need some humongus wheels/tyres to counter having 2 diffs in the drive line

the justy is nearly finished  l couldn't get it to run I might have fried the ecu, back then stand alone engine management wasent common or cheap and I lost interest   but it is still in the hay loft, I will drag it back out sooner or later and get it running

and they make a  2.7 V6 Vitara with close to 200 horses its called the xl7 that would make a good base ?

wightsparks

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 06:15:48 AM »
Thanks for the tip Baloo The 1st gen XL-7 up to 06 looks good, the 2nd gen XL7 (no hyphen) is a unibody.

" The first-generation XL-7 was a Suzuki design, had a body-on-frame construction, and was essentially a stretched Grand Vitara. The North American version had a Suzuki-designed 2.5- or 2.7-liter V6 engine , on a rear-wheel drive-based platform with optional four-wheel drive. The UK version was also available with a 2.0-liter diesel engine, made by various manufacturers including Peugeot. "

A bit pricey for a donor as a runner but a crashed one might come up. 2L or the V6 would be fine for me. Hopefully the chassis does not extend too far as it's 4.8m (187in) long!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal