Author Topic: Well poop.  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Well poop.
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:16:11 PM »
So, trailer over to glamis, trailer works well, might consider some sway control on it - car haulers are simply not designed for rear engine cars.  got light at around 70mph.  Had 390#'s of ballast up front as well.   

Real issue was the fans.  Started out just fine.  Car rips.  Short little run just running through the gears and the fan did not fire off.  On the bright side I was watching the gauge and it never got real hot.  Also, I wired the warning light right.  LMAO  The fans were working before.  So, I am confident this is a wiring issue.  I have been poking around the fuse block, etc probably just got something loose.  Just need to track it down. 

As it was a "shakedown / night ride" we checked fuses, made some basic observations then loaded it up and came home.  Had it been a weekend, I would have figured it out there.  Worse case, I could have hard wired it.  But, limited tools, hot, and I knew the time I spent doing that was the time I would have been riding.  So, a few minutes riding, load it up and come home.  Long day. 

But, figured this is a good chance for some ideas on trouble shooting a fan.  My guess is it is a connection somewhere.   Any body have any words of wisdom?  Also, why don't we run them hard wired?  I have dual fans.  Seems one could be hard wired - maybe too much headache.   Any pearls of wisdom to share with the inept?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Well poop.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
What exactly is your definition of hard wired?

So that they run all the time when the key is on?

Uses more juice (drag on the alterator and engine a bit) and could over cool a lil if you have a really good sized radiator for your application.

I would put 12 volts via a wire or even jumper cables to the fans. Make sure they spin and this can also show you a bad ground at the fan.

The sending unit likely trips a relay that sends the heavy current on to the fans. You checked it?? If you have one?

If not the sending unit may need one?

You got power going to the sending unit?

Have to know your system a lil better to make a real educated guess.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Test 12V+ from point of origin with a test light to the fan relay switch positive activation terminal. Check 12V+ from point of origin to fan relay power terminal with test light. Jump across 12V+ activation terminal to ground terminal on relay and check for 12V+ at output terminal of the relay  with test light. At same time check for 12V+ at the fan/fans it/themselves. Report back.  ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
First off though check all ground wires at relay and fans.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 06:35:09 AM »
Yummi

I have mine hard wired Thur a switch.  So ifen things get a little warm I can just flip a toggle and the fans will run until I shut them down.  Just run a 12V+ Thur the switch to the fan side of the relay's.  Works for me.  Never need it on much but every now and then after a hard run before I shut the motor down.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
Hmm, not really wanting to go out and finger in out - procrastination is my friend today....
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal