Author Topic: Buggy build update  (Read 9621 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Buggy build update
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 09:17:38 PM »
Ride height. ALL alignment dimensions always are to be set at ride height.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SandDragon

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 04:04:27 AM »
thanks it sure does go back together slower than it comes apart.

SandDragon

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »
OK guys I need some more help how do you tighten the rear axle nut and hold the hub at the same time? How tight should it be and how do you check it? another question when you have the axles in and you move the trailing arm up and down there is a point when the axle is at its shortest point how much play should there be in the axle back and forth? I'm also guessing that that little bag of grease is enough for one CV it doesn't look like much to me.

Thanks

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »
OK guys I need some more help how do you tighten the rear axle nut and hold the hub at the same time? How tight should it be and how do you check it? another question when you have the axles in and you move the trailing arm up and down there is a point when the axle is at its shortest point how much play should there be in the axle back and forth? I'm also guessing that that little bag of grease is enough for one CV it doesn't look like much to me.

Thanks

Big steel bar about five feet long with two holes drilled in it to go over two of the lug nut studs. 275 foot lb's.  big cheater bar on the ratchet handle. About .5 to .65

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SandDragon

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Thanks for the help the only problem is the .5 to .65 in axle play I believe it is more like .25 to .375 I can put another washer behind the trailing arm bushing to get a little more room but it doesn't give much more than a 1/4" of thread depth in my pivot bolt but I will be using safety wire to keep it from backing out. thanks again trying to do this right the first time.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »
Thanks for the help the only problem is the .5 to .65 in axle play I believe it is more like .25 to .375 I can put another washer behind the trailing arm bushing to get a little more room but it doesn't give much more than a 1/4" of thread depth in my pivot bolt but I will be using safety wire to keep it from backing out. thanks again trying to do this right the first time.

Turn some off the end of the axles and move the keeper ring grove back some.  .250 to .375 us a tad close.  You mite be able to just turn some off each axle end with out messing with the groves to get the .500 you need.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SandDragon

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »
Thanks again I'll do that I have a friend with a lathe.

Islander

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
275 foot lb's.  big cheater bar on the ratchet handle.
I'm glad I've got a 750 foot lbs torque wrench in the shop  ;D  No need for the cheater bar when torquing!!

trans man

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
SandDragon, What's your progress on your car? Is it done? Need some pics! 8) 8) 8)

SandDragon

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 06:28:03 PM »
Sorry been real busy this year havent had much to set and chat. If you go to my photobucket you will see my car in action it runs good had some stuff break but that is because i didnt check the bolt before going out. About got it back together and getting ready to make a trip to LS some time in early June.

trans man

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
Cool!!! I think we are looking at making another trip to LS in sept. Hope you can make it and see you there. I'll keep you posted. 8) 8) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal