Author Topic: syracuse pics  (Read 14089 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: syracuse pics
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »
lol !  no respect no respect!  this last $1400 bill has made me a changed man I tell you!!

Ds

Are ya going to sleeve the pinion bearing bore?  That could have saved you in the first place.  That pinion looks like it wanted to move away form the ring gear.  A steel sleeve would help that from happening. IMO. Mindeola and Mega Sand both use a brass bar that rubs on the back side of the ring gear just opposite of the pinion.  Just like the old Chevy spicier rear ends. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »
lol !  no respect no respect!  this last $1400 bill has made me a changed man I tell you!!
If you insist. ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »
my motor ( 3.8 ltre 3800 series II ) is supposed to be 215 - 225 hp and 250 tq at the flywheel with the cold air intake and headers. what did your 1.2 litre put out?

To be frank, I have no idea. A lot for a little engine, but we countered for the lack of torque (the real villan..) by spinning it up to 10K rpm.

It was a class rule, and there was a set engine build that worked and all in the class used. Therefore it was well developed before I came along and was well proven. I just used it as well and didnt ask questions (yeah I was younger then....)

The recipe was a nissan A12 engine block and crank (steel), A14 cylinder head, Hepolite pistons, forged rods (forgotten the brand), cam and solid lifters, 2 webbers, exhaust x size tubing exactly this length..etc etc etc .. thing zinged like a two stroke....

Never balanced the first engine..... just built it, modded it and ran it....for years... freshened each season... so NO IDEA how smooth it could have been had it been balanced....

Still got it laying in bits around the place.... poor lil thing..... 8)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 07:29:39 AM »
To be frank, I have no idea. A lot for a little engine, but we countered for the lack of torque (the real villan..) by spinning it up to 10K rpm.

It was a class rule, and there was a set engine build that worked and all in the class used. Therefore it was well developed before I came along and was well proven. I just used it as well and didnt ask questions (yeah I was younger then....)

The recipe was a nissan A12 engine block and crank (steel), A14 cylinder head, Hepolite pistons, forged rods (forgotten the brand), cam and solid lifters, 2 webbers, exhaust x size tubing exactly this length..etc etc etc .. thing zinged like a two stroke....

Never balanced the first engine..... just built it, modded it and ran it....for years... freshened each season... so NO IDEA how smooth it could have been had it been balanced....

Still got it laying in bits around the place.... poor lil thing..... 8)

sounds like a buggy motor in the making! what do you think?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »
Ds

Are ya going to sleeve the pinion bearing bore?  That could have saved you in the first place.  That pinion looks like it wanted to move away form the ring gear.  A steel sleeve would help that from happening. IMO. Mindeola and Mega Sand both use a brass bar that rubs on the back side of the ring gear just opposite of the pinion.  Just like the old Chevy spicier rear ends.

damn ya gotta love all the good info on this site, I have yet to find this kind of info anywhere else!!!!

I don't know about the sleeve but I am going to call and find out today.  thanks for the info and it all makes a difference. that plate artie meantioned isn't listed in the weddle catalog but if you call and ask about it they do have it. I wonder how many other trick little items they have no one knows about because they are not listed in the catalog?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

artie on edge

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
Yep I agree, seriously, those guys have probably FORGOTTEN more than most will ever know about 091's.

I dont know them myself but I have dealt with Charlie Albins back when he was just another racer buildings trans that we finally didnt break.... man he knows his stuff, Im assuming the Weddle team are the same.... I likey.... 8)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45:02 PM »
Ok got some info on the 091, the plate that artie was talking about they do have but the owner of weddle says that some swear by it and others don't think it makes a difference. he says he just leaves that one up to the consumers and builders but didn't say it was a needed part. just so everyone knows it's $80 and 1/4" thick, you will have to space you tranny mounts 1/4" farther apart but doesn't affect flywheel, clutch or starter posistioning.  the sleeve fast corvairs talked about is for when the bearing housing has lost it's tolerance and needs to be sleeved, mine has not in this case and last but not least the brass pin is only on the big trannys that you meantioned, there is not enough material in the side case of the 091 to support that pin. I was told that the pin rides .002 off the ring gear but I didn't think to ask what happens if you hit it. does the pin eject so you know it's been hit or does it just simply file it off until the next time and how would you know unless you tear down every season. In my case this doesn't apply but I am still curious?  I still wonder how many more little secerets there are on the 091's that aren't offered but they have the parts for? it's one of those cases where you have to know the right question to ask!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »
Artie on edge     9025 smites!! what have you been up to?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
So true way too often.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »
Artie on edge     9025 smites!! what have you been up to?

Gotta laugh huh? Mate, just (to quote fabr) "feelin tha luv man....."  b:1

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
I'm not feeling it so much now that you have a bit of a lead on me.LOL!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
Ok got some info on the 091, the plate that artie was talking about they do have but the owner of weddle says that some swear by it and others don't think it makes a difference. he says he just leaves that one up to the consumers and builders but didn't say it was a needed part. just so everyone knows it's $80 and 1/4" thick, you will have to space you tranny mounts 1/4" farther apart but doesn't affect flywheel, clutch or starter posistioning.  the sleeve fast corvairs talked about is for when the bearing housing has lost it's tolerance and needs to be sleeved, mine has not in this case and last but not least the brass pin is only on the big trannys that you meantioned, there is not enough material in the side case of the 091 to support that pin. I was told that the pin rides .002 off the ring gear but I didn't think to ask what happens if you hit it. does the pin eject so you know it's been hit or does it just simply file it off until the next time and how would you know unless you tear down every season. In my case this doesn't apply but I am still curious?  I still wonder how many more little secerets there are on the 091's that aren't offered but they have the parts for? it's one of those cases where you have to know the right question to ask!

Ds
     I don't agree with them on the fact that the sleeve is only needed when the case egg's out.  Read my lips.  I have build allot of 002 and 091 trans in my day and all that I put the steel sleeve in lived much longer then the ones that didn't.  The steel sleeve keeps the pinion from flexing sideways when the power is on.  The pinion is always trying to move away from the ring gear under power.  The more support you can give it the better.  I always would set the pinion deeper into the ring gear also.  The reasoning in that is as the pinion moves the ring gear side way's the pinion will want to move back also.  That way it would keep more of the pinion teeth on the ring gear longer. 

To clarify the brass pin thing, it is set a thousand or so from the back of the ring gear.  As the pinion tries to move the ring gear side way's under load the pin acts as a rubbing block for support. The pins are threaded on there od with a locking nut so you can keep them adjusted accordingly. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
It is apparently ring gear flange deflection thenthat causes R&P issues in the mendis? Apparently the case is strong enough  if the pin works to stabilize the ring gear. Why don't they just make a better diff or spool? Do the pins wear and need regular and/or adjustment often? I don't know these things and need educated.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2009, 04:33:22 PM »
It is apparently ring gear flange deflection thenthat causes R&P issues in the mendis? Apparently the case is strong enough  if the pin works to stabilize the ring gear. Why don't they just make a better diff or spool? Do the pins wear and need regular and/or adjustment often? I don't know these things and need educated.

Master every thing is running in 90 weight oil so with a few thousand of and inch clearance then the brass pin will go a long time before any real adjustment.  The only time it has contack with the back side of the ring gear is when under extream loads.  It's main job is to transfer the load to the main case. Keeping the ring gear from moving back, The stock 091 ring gear is not large enough to accommodate a flat surface on the back for a large brass pin to run on. On all the Mendie's and such the ring gear bolts are all in broad of the dia enough to allow for the brass pin.  And there is plenty of meat on the case for the threaded boss.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »
gotcha!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal