Author Topic: syracuse pics  (Read 14091 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: syracuse pics
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
Fuel tank? yeah! To be honest I didnt notice it.Personally Im not in favour of it but each to his own I guess. I cant see how the shaft will ever rupture the tank and I guess these things dont hit trees that often... if they do they are WAAAAYYYY lost.. ;D A rupture would dump the fuels straight onto the sand? Not run back to the cabin area? Either way... I still dont like it.....  :-\

Just doesnt 'seem' right to me. I have seen a car with two tanks, one either side of the driver and navigator, that didnt 'seem' right either but it was race legal.  :police:

I pre-fer my tank in the rear. one thing you should know is that the reason the rail came to me in the first place is because a buddy took it out after a few and lawn darted it so hard ( with a stock beam ) he bent the right wheel around and into the frame caving it in. the impact also pushed the main two tubes (that run through the frame back to the torsion housing) back so hard it bent the torsion housing into a shallow V and down a little. they took it to a frame machine and had it straightened as best they could and then brought it to me to cut the front off and convert out to a-arm. this I why I said the steering shaft could rupture the tank!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:28:08 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 05:24:56 PM »
I just re-looked at that picture...I didn't know what that was till you said something...I guess it puts more weight on the front tires ;D

it's funny you mention that spec. the original owner had a local guy change the pulleys on the supercharger to add an additional 5psi of boot on that 3800 engine. he said it would wheelie to easy with the play cut 16.50's on the back so with a full tank of fuel ( I think 10 gallons ) it balanced out real nice.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
A tank under the seat seems foolish also but many are built that way.When it really is considered tho there's no place really safe for the tank considering the flimsy way most are constructed,mounted and such. A FuelSafe container($$$$$$$$$$$$) is the best option and then mount it just about anywhere you wish.

I have always thought that some kind of mount that would eject itself ( and shut off the outlet ) in a rollover would be the way to go.

artie on edge

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
Your point is taken....  I think everyone who knows me on here knows I am a safety advocate (a tad extreme sometimes), we HAVE to build safe machines (for ours and our passengers sake), but where do you stop? If my car was as safe as technology could physically make it, it would probably weigh as much as a Leopard tank.

Given the scenario youve just described, the guy who commisioned you is a silly bugger. He's had the front crumple happen and STILL didnt relocate the tank...

"Rules! For the guidance of wise men and the control of fools". (was prolly 'Big Brother' who coined that phrase...)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »
Your point is taken....  I think everyone who knows me on here knows I am a safety advocate  yep        (a tad extreme sometimes), we HAVE to build safe machines (for ours and our passengers sake), but where do you stop? If my car was as safe as technology could physically make it, it would probably weigh as much as a Leopard tank. yep

Given the scenario youve just described, the guy who commisioned you is a silly bugger. He's had the front crumple happen and STILL didnt relocate the tank...  I agree that's why I said I was out voted.  lol

"Rules! For the guidance of wise men and the control of fools". (was prolly 'Big Brother' who coined that phrase...)

never heard that phrase but I do like it!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »
just an update, here is what happened to my transaxle! it's the pinion gear.  I got cheap and left the oe R&P in the transaxle, well it just wasn't strong enough!  so now it's at shanes awaiting parts for repair. it will now be all weddle so the only thing left vw is the vanagon main case, 091 bell housing and input shaft. weddle said that the oe vw 457 R&P was only 25% weaker than theirs so I gave it a shot but for what theirs cost it better not brake, time will tell. here is a pic.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:31:24 AM »
Ouch!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:33 AM »
Hiya Ds, I cant help but notice the irony... the text under your avatar.... sorta fits here dontcha think?  ;D

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »
Bewdy Artie, well spoted. That's a smite ;D ;D ;D
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »
Hiya Ds, I cant help but notice the irony... the text under your avatar.... sorta fits here dontcha think?  ;D

that's funny! where I am sure several have noticed it you are the only one to comment on it. Ya I got a case of the cheapy's and it bit me in the back side. but the built transaxles as well as the top end ones are all still a weak point in a build. I have abused a stock bike tranny far far worse than this built 091 and never broke one but once again there are other variables to it each case.

artie on edge

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
I abused one of these for 5 years in a heavy car without a single failure. The thing was set up by an old german guy called Ron Schmidt and he used mainly Albins bits in it. I pulled it apart at the end of each season and reraced it but never replaced a single major component.

Does yours have the torque plate sandwiched between the casing and the bell housing? Its sole purpose was to stop case flex and keep the ring and pinion alive. Seemed to work in my casing.

Removing all slop from the shift fork tongue and grooves improves shift quality but its still crap.

Good luck.

and a ps..I was using a 1200cc nissan engine so it wasnt like i was firing huge HP figures through it either... that prolly help,,, ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »
I abused one of these for 5 years in a heavy car without a single failure. The thing was set up by an old german guy called Ron Schmidt and he used mainly Albins bits in it. I pulled it apart at the end of each season and reraced it but never replaced a single major component.

Does yours have the torque plate sandwiched between the casing and the bell housing? Its sole purpose was to stop case flex and keep the ring and pinion alive. Seemed to work in my casing.

Removing all slop from the shift fork tongue and grooves improves shift quality but its still crap.

Good luck.

and a ps..I was using a 1200cc nissan engine so it wasnt like i was firing huge HP figures through it either... that prolly help,,, ;D

thanks for the info! the parts I had that broke were stock vw probably from 1976 but now have all weddle, however I don't know about the tq plate and will now have to ask. my motor ( 3.8 ltre 3800 series II ) is supposed to be 215 - 225 hp and 250 tq at the flywheel with the cold air intake and headers. what did your 1.2 litre put out?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
also I run 33x12.5x15 at offroad tires and I am more aggressive in the dirt than the sand solely because I know the terrain better. but I do like to jump and ride wheelies quite a bit, on both dirt and sand but at the dunes I love to run through the whoops full bore!! for now I will have to hold back a little more till I get another bike rail built.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
Good luck keeping your foot out of it :m :m :g :k
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »
Good luck keeping your foot out of it :m :m :g :k

lol !  no respect no respect!  this last $1400 bill has made me a changed man I tell you!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal