Author Topic: Weighed My Pig Today  (Read 6247 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Weighed My Pig Today
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:17:18 PM »
Was bored,waiting for parts and a couple different rear springs. Soooo,I got out the scales. I thought I was remembering right. 2015 pounds wet without driver/passenger with desert tires. 1800 approx with paddles and razors. I guess I shouldn't bitch about it's performance as much as I do. Never was intended to be a lightweight sand car as much as a hardpack and brush runner.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Weighed My Pig Today
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
well as you know i used 4 bath scales that say accurate up to 350 lbs each. now i know that is not an accurate way to weigh it but gives me a good idea. front end weighed 540 lbs! that was not all that shocking since i know i can't lift it off the ground like the previous models. total weight was 1280 lbs with half tank of fuel (11 gal tank) also with turbo of course also have a red top batt rather than a little bike batt. i have been guessing 1200 to 1250 lbs all this time so i am not that far off. my previous models weighed in at 825 lbs to 850 lbs which is what i based my guess off of  on this current mc midi rail lol so i might be 500 lbs lighter than you fabbr  rofl  i am not shooting for a racer in this one just comfortable and i now know i can't beat sand racer in the thick of the trails but when we hit open ground  :-* ;D ;D rofl rofl
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
I weighed in at 375 front corners and 630 rear corners.  40/60 weight bias.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:40:57 PM »
Oink!

Mines just under a 1000 at the moment. Needs rear brakes and a few other small items. Should be around 1200 ready to roll.

Scales......

In that pic it was 930#'s. 360FT and 570RR.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:47:00 PM by BDKW1 »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 06:00:25 AM »
I weighed mine like you did BDKW- once. I found it to be a bit unreliable. Small changes as to where the tire "adapters" land on the scales and very small differences from level of the "adapters" skewed the numbers fairly significantly shown on the scales. That was when I bought a real set of scales. I was amazed at the differences i was seeing between the two methods. I may be wrong but from that pic of your weighing setup I'd be willing to bet you are a bit heavier than you think.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 06:07:28 AM »
Oink!

Mines just under a 1000 at the moment. Needs rear brakes and a few other small items. Should be around 1200 ready to roll.

Scales......

In that pic it was 930#'s. 360FT and 570RR.
Small items like shocks,seats,fuel, brakes,wiring,body panels, floor, etc., etc.,etc.?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »
I weighed my pig yesterday too. 

He was ripe. 

So I ated him.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 07:30:03 AM »
I set mine on bath scales 1 tire at a time w/ 2x4 under other 3 to level.  Weighed 3 x and averaged together.  My car was just under 1100.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
I weighed in at 375 front corners and 630 rear corners.  40/60 weight bias.

mine is pretty much 40/60 front to rear as well.35/65 would've been better imo so that two occupants would set that back.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 09:58:46 AM »
BDKW1  is that a winter quick change rear end?

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
BDKW1  is that a winter quick change rear end?

Yes. They actually make an IRS unit now, when I built that I had to make the center axle to bolt the CV cups to.

Fabber, those are pretty damn accurate. I have checked them on a 4200# truck against the scale at the scrap yard down the street from My old house. They were only 20# off the certified scales. Getting them floating right and zeroed correctly is a must. All of the scales are marked for the load plate location. All the load plates are marked for the pivot bolt location. All sets are color coded to keep them matched.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 05:49:48 AM »
cool!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sandracer1

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »
well as you know i used 4 bath scales that say accurate up to 350 lbs each. now i know that is not an accurate way to weigh it but gives me a good idea. front end weighed 540 lbs! that was not all that shocking since i know i can't lift it off the ground like the previous models. total weight was 1280 lbs with half tank of fuel (11 gal tank) also with turbo of course also have a red top batt rather than a little bike batt. i have been guessing 1200 to 1250 lbs all this time so i am not that far off. my previous models weighed in at 825 lbs to 850 lbs which is what i based my guess off of  on this current mc midi rail lol so i might be 500 lbs lighter than you fabbr  rofl  i am not shooting for a racer in this one just comfortable and i now know i can't beat sand racer in the thick of the trails but when we hit open ground  :-* ;D ;D rofl rofl

I cannot believe you guys are that lite. My little Revolt weighs 800lbs. WTF. Are you guys all chromoly? I guess I should take mine to the truck scales by the house to see for sure.

So DS, I will just make sure I pull WAY ahead of you through the trails so you have to work for it buddy. Trails, short stretch of the open to see you behind me, then back to hiding in the trails like a little bitch. rofl rofl rofl

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 10:26:18 PM »
I cannot believe you guys are that lite. My little Revolt weighs 800lbs. WTF. Are you guys all chromoly?

There is only 1 piece of Chromo on My car, the rest is DOM. The main structure is .095 and .083. The bracing is .065. The 5 link is .156 wall and the front arms are .120 on the lower and .095 on the upper.

Still on the look out for some reasonably priced UHMW for skid plates, that should save a few pounds on 6061.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »
except my bracing tubes my entire 1.25" od frame is made out of 1020 dom .120 wall. when i compared 8 20' sticks of that tube to .095 wall it was like 120 lbs diff. my bracing is .083 and why did i make it that heavy?......because i had 600' of that tube on the rack and figured it would be better for when i roll it  rofl  the 2.5 shocks weigh more than the 2.0 and the turbo system is def not a light system!  i bet i could've shaved 200 lbs in .095 wall and w/o hood. it is amazing what 32- 5/16" x1" long bolts and nut weigh in each rim for my bead locks as well as the rings compared to a standard aluminum rims as well let alone alone the nuts and bolts on the hood i didn't add to my previous builds which were 825 to 850 lbs wet on the coop scale some time back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal