Author Topic: St.Joes 2010  (Read 4862 times)

Hoodlum

St.Joes 2010
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:59:26 AM »
We are beginning to plan out St.Joes 2010 trip,and would like to invite anyone and everyone that can make it...Great riding area...
The dates are 6/20th-6/27th..That's a Sunday to the next Sunday,so make arrangements to be there when you can!!!
Hoodlum

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: St.Joes 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
Great to hear! As usual I gotta ask if the area is good for full size buggies or mainly for quads and minibuggies. Got some more info about it?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

odypilots

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »
There are two parts to St Joe. The trails in the woods that I didn't even try in my Pilot after hearing how tight it was, and the sandish flats. I say sandish because it's kind of a sand/ tiny gravel mix. Paddles not needed. There are some wide open areas in the flats, and a bunch of trails through the tall grass that some of them would be too narrow for the bigger buggies. All it would take to widen them up would be for someone to take wider buggies through them. Some of the trails are cut into the terrain that wouldn't widen out easily, though.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »
Where is this location?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
Missouri
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
It is 20 miles from my house. It used to be a lot bigger area. They keep shutting more of it down due to dust and lead content. It used to have 150ft hills. It is mainly 4 wheeler and motorcycle trails. There is a sand drag track about 10 miles from there. If you like old log roads I can set you up. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Hoodlum

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:08:19 AM »
It is 20 miles from my house. It used to be a lot bigger area. They keep shutting more of it down due to dust and lead content. It used to have 150ft hills. It is mainly 4 wheeler and motorcycle trails. There is a sand drag track about 10 miles from there. If you like old log roads I can set you up. Tim

I have been going atleast once a year since 2006 and they haven't closed anything since then...Maybe that was before my time...
As for larger buggies,yes it is a good place for those as well...It's not as large as LS,and there aren't any dunes,but it's still a great place to go ride and take the family..Lots for everyone to do.....VERY nice place....
How bout it Odypilots,you in this year?
Hoodlum

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:37:32 AM »
Well,hell, now I don't know what to do. Why don't you and Doug Heim try to coordinate the times so that members could take in one or both on the same trip. You know,kill 2 birds with one stone if wished. St. Joe's is a third of the way to Doug for me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

odypilots

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »
I have been going atleast once a year since 2006 and they haven't closed anything since then...Maybe that was before my time...
As for larger buggies,yes it is a good place for those as well...It's not as large as LS,and there aren't any dunes,but it's still a great place to go ride and take the family..Lots for everyone to do.....VERY nice place....
How bout it Odypilots,you in this year?
Hoodlum

Nope, I won't be able to make the ride this year.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
I could make it but I do like the dunes. Lets see who all jumps on for the possible gathering when it gets closer. Dont let this thread die. keep us updated as the time gets closer

Hoodlum

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
I could make it but I do like the dunes. Lets see who all jumps on for the possible gathering when it gets closer. Dont let this thread die. keep us updated as the time gets closer

Well,if you have ANY thought what so ever of going,you need to make camping reservations soon..You can make them 6 mnths prior to your arrival date,and the campground fills up fast....You can always cancel if you can't make it....
http://www.mostateparks.com

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 05:44:42 PM »
Yes, it was before your time. I used to ride there before it was a state park. It was in the early 70's that I first rode in the number 9 hills. The trails weren't limited to the 800 acres like now. Where 32 goes past the museum there were hills about 100 ft high and very steep. Very few buggies could climb them. Of course we didn't have paddles then. I had a Highjumper sprite with a buse trany and a 1600 with a zenith carb. It climbed the hills in 2nd gear. Before we rode there we rode at the Sugar Bowl in Leadwood. That was in the eary 70's. I had a Meyers Towd. The ride areas around here have been slowly closed. If you haven't been in Park Hills in a while, that big chat hill in the middle of town is being taken down. I haven't rode there in years, it just isn't the same since the state made it a park. I ride on private land [about 2000acres that joins the National Forest]. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
Holy crap Doc you must be old as water ;D
Around here I can remember thousands of acres that used to be rideable too...
But trash/noise and vandalism put a stop to it......
Really quite a shame

Ozpilot

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:22:41 PM »
Its funny how everybody that's been around long enough to remember what places used to be like won't go there because its not the same anymore but those that weren't around back then use and enjoy what's left (and probably travel further to enjoy it!).

It seems its the same everywhere in the world (well, in all the "developed" countries).

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
LS is the same as it was 50 years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal