Author Topic: CNC plasma cutter  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Wyattboche

CNC plasma cutter
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
Does anyone know where i can find a small cnc plasma cutter with table to put in my 2 car garage for reasonable price?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: CNC plasma cutter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »
No, and if I did it wouldn't be available anymore. LOL!!! Good luck. Have you thought about fabbin' your own?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:42:13 PM »
Depending on your idea of reasonable, this may work.  These are more of a small shop\home model.  Not industrial strength by any means but they do the job.  The description says it has been used hard and needs belts and other work so heads up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plasmacam-computer-loaded-w-100-image-library_W0QQitemZ250522237398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5449f9d6

They also have other models i believe-  or features you can add,

http://www.plasmacam.com/indexfla.php

$8200 may seem like a lot, but the machine we use at my work was $250k.

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:44:12 PM »
Also if you plan to use it in your garage, a water table would be a great addition.  The smoke they put out is thick, and the dross is a real fire hazard without one.

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:58:39 AM »

You can try there for a turn key option, there are several "roll your own" options out there, like:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Or back up to http://www.cnczone.com and just look around.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
What about torch mate they do small tables, I dunno what you all feel about them.
http://www.torchmate.com/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:00:21 AM by Reidy02 »
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

matt(boily)

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:00:23 AM »
I've talked to them before. There systems seem very good. Great support. I quote a 4' x 4' with the torch height control(a must) for about 20k landed with the plasma cutter, cutmaster 51, and a 440lpm compressor. That was when teh AUD was good its back up there now so it might be a good time to consider one. I definitely am :D

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »

You can try there for a turn key option, there are several "roll your own" options out there, like:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Or back up to http://www.cnczone.com and just look around.
I have info coming about the plasmacam. There going to send me a cd and more info.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:24:38 AM »
I've talked to them before. There systems seem very good. Great support. I quote a 4' x 4' with the torch height control(a must) for about 20k landed with the plasma cutter, cutmaster 51, and a 440lpm compressor. That was when teh AUD was good its back up there now so it might be a good time to consider one. I definitely am :D
Hey Matt was that from Torchmate?

hemi43

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:49:20 AM »
I will be building one in a month or so, and will post full build pics here.
I don't know if you have your plasma cutter yet, but IMHO , get the Hypertherm 45. if you want your cuts to look like they were laser cut.

I figured that with a bit of scrounging, I should be able to build the table (without plasma cutter) for about $2500.

Dan.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »
Hey Dan, when I was talking to the guy from Torchmate he said Hypertherm was the best when he told how much they were I asked if I could use the plasma I got off e-bay, he said that the high frequency would stuff up the computer have you heard anything like this? By the way I'll be watching your build with great interest. Good on ya for sharing!! ;)

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 07:19:35 AM »
We run 2 plasma tables at work, both with Hypertherm machines.  One is a 260 Amp the other 100.  No troubles with high frequency interference that I know of.  The 100 cuts up to 1/2" well, 3/4" ok if we are in a bind.  The 260 cuts up to 1 1/2" pretty well.  It has interchangable heads down to 30 amps, nitrogen etching, and we've been experimenting with different processes for aluminum up to 1/2".  You have to lower the water on ali, and run a fan under the plate to keep H gas from building up and exploding.   10:

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
he said that the high frequency would stuff up the computer have you heard anything like this?

I worked in a jobshop several years ago that had a torch pattern cutter converted to use plasma. I was constantly burning up the servo drives and electronics. The only thing several "consultants" from different companies could come up with is the HF from the plasma was causing it. The brought it back to oxy/acty and never had any other problems......

hemi43

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »
Hey Dan, when I was talking to the guy from Torchmate he said Hypertherm was the best when he told how much they were I asked if I could use the plasma I got off e-bay, he said that the high frequency would stuff up the computer have you heard anything like this? By the way I'll be watching your build with great interest. Good on ya for sharing!! ;)

High frequency will for sure trip your electronics, but I've never heard components being damaged by it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the HF is created from a machine with poor sheilding around it, and not from the "arc" itself.
I built a CNC mill with basically the same electronics that I will be using for my plasma machine, and it will trip the instant I fire up my TIG welder even though it's in the other room !!
Using a Hypertherm plasma cutter on a CNC table has been done thousands of times, so don't be discouraged if you hear of the odd person that has had issues.
I'm not sure what you bought off of E-bay, or that if it will work. The guys at Torchmate know what they are talking about !!
Another person you may want to speak to is Tom at "CandCNC".
He sells an electronics package called "BladeRunner Dragon-Cut CNC Plasma Controller ", and so far, I think that's what I will be using.
I have a few weeks left to get my Son's buggy finished, and I'll probably get started then on my table.
I can only go a few days without having a "project" !! ;D
Dan
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:41:22 AM by hemi43 »

hemi43

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
We run 2 plasma tables at work, both with Hypertherm machines.  One is a 260 Amp the other 100.  No troubles with high frequency interference that I know of.  The 100 cuts up to 1/2" well, 3/4" ok if we are in a bind.  The 260 cuts up to 1 1/2" pretty well.  It has interchangable heads down to 30 amps, nitrogen etching, and we've been experimenting with different processes for aluminum up to 1/2".  You have to lower the water on ali, and run a fan under the plate to keep H gas from building up and exploding.   10:

H gas buildup?? I didn't know that it was produced when cutting Aluminum !! :o
Good tip !!
Why do you have to lower the water ?
I just got my machine a couple of weeks ago, so all I'm doing right now are manual cuts. This thing is unreal !! I can cut 3/8 plate with just a straight edge, and the resulting cut is almost perfect with zero slag buildup. Aluminum cuts are great also, but the finish is not as good as steel. I was told that if I used Nitrogen instead of compressed air that my finish would be better.
Do you have any recipes for plasma quench ?? I don't want to run straight water for obvious reasons, rust.
Thanks, Dan

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal