Author Topic: Dual rate coil overs vs air shox  (Read 4493 times)

borris

Dual rate coil overs vs air shox
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
 You guys with experience with them tell us your likes/dislikes or tuning tips. Pros/cons???

Bugpac

Re: Dual rate coil overs vs air shox
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:46:59 PM »
I have now had both, I am very happy with the dual rate coilovers, IMO there is a lot less body roll in a coilover, with a cross over collar they are very user tuneable with ease....They do take some finiking to get right springs etc, they will cost more in the long run, the spring rate wont fade with heat just the dampening...My vote is for dual or triple rate coilovers, Not cheap pieces of shit either, Got to spend the cheese and get a good name brand tuneable shock...

lee1969GB

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »
What would you think for a 2 seat buggy weighing 462lbs front and 880lbs rear. what would the 2 options cost and parts to adjust them. The rear is five link so would work 1 to 1 ratio with the shock and looking for about 12 inches of travel each end.

borris

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »
There's no doubt that airshox will be cheaper and easier to adjust than coilovers if you are looking for a cost comparison. Which is best is a matter of personal preference and of what the actual use of the car dictates AND of the vehicles weight. Personally I'd think you would be served well using airshox. I use c/o's.

VLADD

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »
I have driven both, mostly I think it is a matter of prefference on the ride and where you are using the buggy...I think on dirt you are better off with a coil over, I know getting the perfect spring rate can get pricey and having a pile of coils is a pain, but I have driven some sand cars with fox air right after driving a coil over car and the fox airs were nice going through the rollers and whoops but felt a bit squishy and sloppy (I don't know if sloppy was the right word) on the trails...My vote would be for coil overs on the trails and fox airs on the dunes

bikelomen

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:02:24 PM »
Here is a good site on how to get your spring rate and explaings a bit on the subject. Hit the how to use calculator tab and it will tell you how to use it. It may not be perfect but its a great start off point for choosing your springs

http://f-o-a.com/calculator.html

LiveWire

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
What would you think for a 2 seat buggy weighing 462lbs front and 880lbs rear. what would the 2 options cost and parts to adjust them. The rear is five link so would work 1 to 1 ratio with the shock and looking for about 12 inches of travel each end.

I would look at Works G-series triple rates and connect the shock to one of the 5 links to give you a 1.5:1-2:1 motion ratio. They would set an 8" travel triple rate shock up with 10", 5" and 2.5" springs. You would fill out the A-arm ABC sheet as if the link the shock is connected to is an A-arm. They not only use this to figure out the motion ratio, they also use it to calculate the progressive rate of the suspension to determine what spring rate for each stage and where to adjust the cross over collars. At $473 for a pair, that is very inexpensive compared to buying all the springs and collars separate to put on shocks that do not come with them. I just had a pair built fro the rear of a Drakart Extreme, 24.5" extended length, 8.5" travel. I specked them out, they came in, I installed them on a guys machine and he loved them.

borris

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
Got a linky? :)

DuneBuggyDude

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:41:38 PM »
Coil Overs :D If you blow a shock from over heating. At least you can limp back to camp on springs. Be there, done that!!!

LiveWire

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 04:28:46 PM »
Got a linky? :)

Swing arm ABC sheet:
http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/instructions/swingarm_abc.pdf

I'll get a picture of the shocks I had done off my other computer later. The prices quoted were based on 10% off through me.

They changed the gold anodized parts to black now and for some reason, the ones pictured do not have heims even though they are included.

These show the heims plus res and dual res line options. I have never gotten the dual lines. I think it flows in one and out the other to circulate the oil for better cooling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal