Author Topic: GSX-R1000 Fuel Questions  (Read 2685 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
GSX-R1000 Fuel Questions
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
I finally got my engine running after some help on Gixxer.com figuring out a misleading Suzuki diagram.  nono

I have a couple of questions. It will only cold start when I prime the carbs. Otherwise it barely coughs about every third or fourth try after the fuel pump primes. I did unplug my fuel line and it pumps, but it doesn't seem like much pressure. I can pinch the fuel line pretty lightly and stop the pump. Suzuki says it needs 40 PSI. Sounds like a bad fuel pump, right? When I prime the carbs it will run and keep running, but when I rev it quickly it cuts out. It will rev slowly without cutting out, but if I blip the throttle it cuts out.

I may also have a bad IAP sensor. I have one being shipped, but the one I have kills the motor when the vacuum line is connected. So as of now the vacuum line is at atmosphere. Hopefully the IAP sensor solves everything and I can avoid another fuel pump.

Any thoughts? Thanks
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: GSX-R1000 Fuel Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
40 psi for carbs?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
40PSI to fire injectors. I kind of doubt its the fuel pump. Probably more of an IAP sensor issue. I found the test procedure in the service manual (keep forgetting I downloaded that), so I'll check it when I get time. Hopefully later today.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
Kinda of a dumb question but the filter on the pump and the actual inlet for the pump are clear?

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Good question. I didn't realize the pump was so serviceable when I installed it so I didn't disassemble and clean the filter. That will be the next step if the IAP sensor doesn't do the trick. Probably needs to be done regardless. I'm learning a ton about this engine and everything involved... so that's a good thing! LOL

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
+1!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline MC

• Fabricator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
In general if the motor has been sitting awhile, like when your building a car, you really should send the injectors out and have them cleaned. I see this all the time, dirty injectors and bad grounds. I suggest to my customers to send the injectors out for cleaning before the start of each race season and clean all grounds.

The stock fuel pressure should be around 43 LBS, I would suggest bumping that to 47-48 if your not using something like a power commander.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
If the fuel line when the pump is on is soft then I wouldn't think it was dirty injectors?  40 psi is gonna be hard to crush the line with just your fingers I would think.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
In general if the motor has been sitting awhile, like when your building a car, you really should send the injectors out and have them cleaned. I see this all the time, dirty injectors and bad grounds. I suggest to my customers to send the injectors out for cleaning before the start of each race season and clean all grounds.

The stock fuel pressure should be around 43 LBS, I would suggest bumping that to 47-48 if your not using something like a power commander.
Good advice for sure. My first busa ran like crap for quite a long while. I think it finally dissolved the majority of crud in about 60 gallons. Ran great then.  eyes rofl rofl
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
That might be a blessing. It'll give me time to calibrate the steering wheel operator before it reaches warp speed!  LMAO

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
That steering wheel nut should be tightly torqued........................................... ;D ;D ;)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
That steering wheel nut should be tightly torqued........................................... ;D ;D ;)
Yup!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal