Author Topic: Hydraulic to Cable Clutch  (Read 2085 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Hydraulic to Cable Clutch
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
I am going to go with a pedal clutch on the barracuda, but my 04' GSXR 1000 uses a cable clutch. I was thinking I could use a VW style CNC slave cylinder, but I'm not sure if it is overkill. It may be difficult to fit into the proper position due to its length. I can probably fab a mount to the motor mount that will hold it vertically directly above the clutch. Also, the clutch cable doesn't need much pull to activate and I'm not sure how much of my pedal I will be able to use. I'd like it to feel normal vs. an inch of pedal travel to engage the clutch.

Any suggestions? 
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Hydraulic to Cable Clutch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
Uhhh,for once I have no ready ideas.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
There's a shocker! LMAO

I think the CNC slave will work out, I just need to get one from a local shop to check dimensions. As far as the throw needed to engage the clutch I think can keep enough slack in the clutch cable to use most of the pedal. I can run the cable through a long spring to keep it from snagging or looking sloppy. So the slave will go through its motion and pull the slack out of the cable before it engages the clutch. Worst case, I may have to shorten the stationary mounting rod to make it fit where I need it to fit.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »
both work. both can fail i on my vw & v6 i run hydro

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
LOL!!!! Actually ,I was busy at the time and had to run. Just use a clutch master of a small bore,something like a 5/8" wilwood or similar. Using any typical slave of approx 1" or smaller bore ,this ratio would be close.  Then fab a pedal travel stop to prevent any overtravel and you're done. You MIGHT have to toy with bore sizes later but I doubt it.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »
Do you still need to use the cable or can you connect the slave right to the clutch arm?  Or is it inside the motor?

Only thing I wonder is if you might need an extra return spring on the slave to make sure it doesn't keep pressure on the clutch throw out.  With a clutch handle once you release it, providing the cable is smooth there is free play so virtually no pressure on the clutch arm.

I just remember all of the Banshee clutch balls being welded. thumb down

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
on my cable op zx12r, I mounted the slave to a bracket I made.  Bolts to side of engine, slave arm direct to clutch arm.  No cables, hydro all the way.  About 6" of clutch pedal movement moves the slave about 1-1/2".  All is good!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
I need the cable. There is no "clutch arm". The clutch mechanism is beneath a cover. When it actuates it presses a rod into the block to engage the clutch. I think engineer is right, that it will probably need a return spring to assist the slave. I'll keep that in mind. I'll post a pic later so you can see what I'm working with. Thanks for the input!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal