Author Topic: Thought this was cool  (Read 3069 times)

trans man

Re: Thought this was cool
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
As far as MC buggys My first build was an LT-2 with a 03 R-1 motor and a modified type 1 bug trans as a F-N-R box. The thing is a blast to drive but I wanted something more like our 10 car.

The VW trans works great.
Beats the heck out of the chain, sprocket and centerboard hub set up we first used.
The only issue I had was it jumped into reverse and broke the inherently weak VW reverse gear. I fixed the prob. by fabricating a lock on the shifter so it can't do that again. The drive shaft: Up here they run an dirt oval class called legends cars.
They use the Yamaha FJ1250 air cool bike engines. they have a U-joint system that fit's right onto the output shaft of the R-1 (The R-1 is a liquid version of the older FJ) you can then cut out the center of a comparable VW clutch plate and weld it to the U-joint and presto. Modifying the trans is fairly easy. cut away the bell housing and turn it into a side shifter. Jamar makes a bolt on kit for this or you can do it the way we did by making a support block and going through the side of the trans and tying into the 2nd/reverse gear stack. easy as pie.
As far as more pictures I took very few but I'll see if I can dig some up.
By the way The R-1 buggy is for sale.
I'm sorry guys, I'm not really into the MC powered stuff any longer.
The R-1 was a lot of fun and I drove a Busa powered LT-2 but the Nitro will scare the hell out of you. And like I say " If your toys don't scare you what's the point.

And this is the guys website...http://iminitro.com/Pages/Nitro_L_Specs.html
Carlriddle can you pm me some pics of that shift housing on that type 1 transaxle. I want to know more about it.  :o :o :o

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 06:07:34 PM »
It wasn't mine, I was quoting his build.  Copied from his build.  Sorry I'll go stand in corner.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

trans man

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
It wasn't mine, I was quoting his build.  Copied from his build.  Sorry I'll go stand in corner.
That's alright, If someone finds something that works, when go with it! 8) 8) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal