Author Topic: Thought this was cool  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Thought this was cool
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:16 PM »
Saw this on MBN and thought it was pretty cool.  Guys name is Nitro 1 I think.  Don't know if he is a member here or not.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Thought this was cool
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:06 AM »
"Look ma' no chains"  I have a mental picture thats what Master's setup will look like. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:43 AM »
More pics/info
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:44:54 AM »
As far as MC buggys My first build was an LT-2 with a 03 R-1 motor and a modified type 1 bug trans as a F-N-R box. The thing is a blast to drive but I wanted something more like our 10 car.

The VW trans works great.
Beats the heck out of the chain, sprocket and centerboard hub set up we first used.
The only issue I had was it jumped into reverse and broke the inherently weak VW reverse gear. I fixed the prob. by fabricating a lock on the shifter so it can't do that again. The drive shaft: Up here they run an dirt oval class called legends cars.
They use the Yamaha FJ1250 air cool bike engines. they have a U-joint system that fit's right onto the output shaft of the R-1 (The R-1 is a liquid version of the older FJ) you can then cut out the center of a comparable VW clutch plate and weld it to the U-joint and presto. Modifying the trans is fairly easy. cut away the bell housing and turn it into a side shifter. Jamar makes a bolt on kit for this or you can do it the way we did by making a support block and going through the side of the trans and tying into the 2nd/reverse gear stack. easy as pie.
As far as more pictures I took very few but I'll see if I can dig some up.
By the way The R-1 buggy is for sale.
I'm sorry guys, I'm not really into the MC powered stuff any longer.
The R-1 was a lot of fun and I drove a Busa powered LT-2 but the Nitro will scare the hell out of you. And like I say " If your toys don't scare you what's the point.

And this is the guys website...http://iminitro.com/Pages/Nitro_L_Specs.html
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »
This is a tranny out of a Porsche 944. Not super common but not as rare as many.

The 944's had the motor in the front of the car and the tranny at the back.

I am pretty sure the flywheel was still on the motor to help it run smoothly and a long driveshaft carried full motor RPMs to this trannies input shaft.

These cars came with turbos too so you know the tranny can take some snot.

What Fabrs doing is neat with his crossbreed but this might be a little easier way to do it similair for those without the means. Although it may be a tad longer. Just get a driveshaft adaptor OR attach a homemade adaptor to a sprocket of a motor turned sideways

I need to look at these more.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:13:46 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »
It'd work fine at about a 15" +- length penalty.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »
Realistically,why are there not many front engine mid buggies. The weight penalty of a bike motor is negligible. Might even make the car better balanced.Sure would cure a lot of problems and expense.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »
I wonder that about the "mid/front" setup like the Sandrockets myself.

They seem to have little to no traction issues.

The idea that a rear engine car jumps better is a myth IMO and actually usually a worse jumper if the shocks are not dialed in. It makes the rear end kick up often when the shocks are not right and so many seen to not be as good as they could.

I think a mini Sand rocket would be awesome with a tranny like this Porsche one fed by a decent a decent bike motor. Only real issue is the seat would need to be taller if a single seater to clear a driveshaft. The full size two seaters it runs between the seats in a protective shield.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:42:03 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »
I'm only thinking 2 seater. I agree with the balance/shock issues of rear engine. Honestly I've been thinking out of the box for a while about this higher HP car I'll do next to avoid if possible the fortin or albins I'd want.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »
Couldn't this setup use the subi tranny also?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
Sure could.

We aint heard from this guy for a bit but hes got the same idea.

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/9656-best-build-world-tribute.html

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
That is the main reason I asked. I remembered reading that link a while ago and just the other day I went looking for it. Haven't heard from him for a bit, he hasn't posted over there for over a year. I would like to know how his setup worked out. His version is more like a raped subi with eliminating some of the gears. I see no reason why the subi tranny can't be used especially with the awd elimination kits available. I do like the idea of a front engine mini\midi with a mc power plant. Just back your ass up a bit to make room for the engine up front.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
I see no reason why the subi tranny can't be used especially with the awd elimination kits available.

In the early 90s times a lot of the Subees were front drive only. Till like the mid 90's. Before that (90's) there were a good few too that were only front wheel drive. In case you care and did not want to bother with an AWD tranny.

Offline jsbm

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
Come on Nutz I always care. I know about the 2wd subies but the awd are more common

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
As far as MC buggys My first build was an LT-2 with a 03 R-1 motor and a modified type 1 bug trans as a F-N-R box. The thing is a blast to drive but I wanted something more like our 10 car.

The VW trans works great.
Beats the heck out of the chain, sprocket and centerboard hub set up we first used.
The only issue I had was it jumped into reverse and broke the inherently weak VW reverse gear. I fixed the prob. by fabricating a lock on the shifter so it can't do that again. The drive shaft: Up here they run an dirt oval class called legends cars.
They use the Yamaha FJ1250 air cool bike engines. they have a U-joint system that fit's right onto the output shaft of the R-1 (The R-1 is a liquid version of the older FJ) you can then cut out the center of a comparable VW clutch plate and weld it to the U-joint and presto. Modifying the trans is fairly easy. cut away the bell housing and turn it into a side shifter. Jamar makes a bolt on kit for this or you can do it the way we did by making a support block and going through the side of the trans and tying into the 2nd/reverse gear stack. easy as pie.
As far as more pictures I took very few but I'll see if I can dig some up.
By the way The R-1 buggy is for sale.
I'm sorry guys, I'm not really into the MC powered stuff any longer.
The R-1 was a lot of fun and I drove a Busa powered LT-2 but the Nitro will scare the hell out of you. And like I say " If your toys don't scare you what's the point.

And this is the guys website...http://iminitro.com/Pages/Nitro_L_Specs.html

the type 1 transaxle you used was it stock or did you build it right before? how much time did you put on it?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal