Author Topic: Making a 2 smoke run backwards.  (Read 4421 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Making a 2 smoke run backwards.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
you are correct about the bendix. I didn't say the bendix would work by rewireing the field windings.To do that you are correct that the old starter/generators worked because they could be constant mesh.
 Newer electronics that have the reverse rotation would be programmed for the reverse rotation and the normal rotation.With older electronics a second (switchable) pickup would do the trick.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »
The golf Karts I have seen with the electric autostart use the generator/motor combo connected by a belt (no bendix) The driver steps on the gas pedal and the electric motor starts to spin in the desired direction once the motor can fire it does and then it in spins the generator to recharge the juice taken out of the batteries. Works great but limited rpms somewhat. Perfect for a putzy golfkart.

My Grandpa had a Simplicity lawn tractor that worked the same way. It was a four stroke so it would not run backwards but the generator/starter were one and the same and connect by a belt and pullies.  Genrators (of old) did not like too many rpms or they would sometimes throw the windings. Dunno if a newer setup could be used like this that could deal with serious rpms.

Maybe a belt setup that got loose once running like a lawn mower disenguages a drive belt in a deep "V" pulley? 

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Camel

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:56 AM »
I am not that familiar with twin sled motors, but I had a 1973 Yamaha 250mx that would run in reverse.

Tim,

same here, a white Yamaha MX400 that was a pig to get running right.  I was mucking around with the (cutting edge back then) CDi timing at a MX event.  Got the bitch to the line, kicked and kicked and kick started it and when the green flagged dropped - I shot backwards.....

Camel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal