Author Topic: Chain driven final drive?  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Chain driven final drive?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »
I used to have a weird idea that was like this below.

The motor would be sideways VS a normal bike motor. It would feed a double sprocket shaft in the middle and then chains would run down parellel with the A-arms to little 90* gearboxes at the wheels.

I could not find a small lightweight gearbox that could hanmdle the power and face the same direction on each side. I was thinking a gearbox off a shaft drive motorcycle.

But I never could find one that would face each direction. Running one upside down may work but they are usually designed to be filled with oil from the tops sooooo....

It might be an idea for a low power kids car. If you had two small gearboxes that could deal with what you fed them.

I doubt I need to explain this much but in case. The center is the lower rear section of the frame viewed from the rear. The black arms run down to the rec carriers and the orange sprockets get power from the Puprle chains and feed it into the blue 90* gearboxes then out to the wheels (which I did not add...)   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
It'd be hard to set up for chain centers.Very hard to tension,etc..
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »
This was another idea I painted up a while back. Would be great for low power easy suspension but with no toe in or camber change it would not be to good for more than a slower kids kart perhaps?

Unless a person put a U-joint or CV in the front shaft and angled the pivot points for that. The chains might not like the twist though. Best left for a 20 horse and under kids kart?

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »
     This whole stystem has been used and from what I read It worked out real well.
   About two or three year's back some fellow in Sand Sports mag took two three cylinder sled motors Yep that's two and used this kind of chain drive. He had them in a four seater.  Had the pull cord's hung out the back of the car.  Had to get out and pull the tee handles to fire it up. My son had a four wheeler with just one of these bad boy triples in it. Run a 9sec qt mile at 129 mile per at the local drag strip.  I ask him ifen he was going back out to back it up for track record and he said Foork no. At a 129 miles per on just them little tires he didn't think that they were even on the track when he crossed the line. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
   About two or three year's back some fellow in Sand Sports mag took two three cylinder sled motors Yep that's two and used this kind of chain drive. He had them in a four seater.  Had the pull cord's hung out the back of the car.  Had to get out and pull the tee handles to fire it up. My son had a four wheeler with just one of these bad boy triples in it. Run a 9sec qt mile at 129 mile per at the local drag strip.  I ask him ifen he was going back out to back it up for track record and he said Foork no. At a 129 miles per on just them little tires he didn't think that they were even on the track when he crossed the line.

That buggy withthe two motors even had a onbaord setup (they said it was computerized) that would add more power to the outside motor to help assist in the turn. Word is now the man is redoing it with newer motors and I guess fourstrokes. Dunno if car motors but I heard they might be Yamaha RX1's or Apex motors. (I can only imagine how much gas that thing would Drink!??!)

But chain drive is of course not new. But if somone came up with a better way?

I wonder if that chain drive car mounted the front drive on the trailing arms or the chassis? I have the original article on it in a Sand Sports somewhere. I do not recall it showingthat just the back sprockets. 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »

Quote by Nutz
I wonder if that chain drive car mounted the front drive on the trailing arms or the chassis?

I read the article over and over.  The chain sprockets were mounted on the frame and were mounted so's to adjust slack out of the stystem. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »
Quote by Nutz
I wonder if that chain drive car mounted the front drive on the trailing arms or the chassis?

I read the article over and over.  The chain sprockets were mounted on the frame and were mounted so's to adjust slack out of the stystem.

Thankee     I obviously just looked at the pictures as I must not be able to read! I missed that part  :P  I guess after catching the part about each motor powering only one wheel and being throttled up on the outside to turn. No I gotta go find that article myself. (I never throw those mags away.)   

The guy runs it at Silver Lake but I have been there a lot these last two years but never saw it in person. If hes revamping it that might be way. Maybe this year?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »
Thankee     I obviously just looked at the pictures as I must not be able to read! I missed that part  :P  I guess after catching the part about each motor powering only one wheel and being throttled up on the outside to turn. No I gotta go find that article myself. (I never throw those mags away.)   

The guy runs it at Silver Lake but I have been there a lot these last two years but never saw it in person. If hes revamping it that might be way. Maybe this year?

Good luck. I burned up a couple of hours this morning looking for mine. Never found it.  Ifen I do I'll scan and post. 

Bug

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:32 PM »
(side note) Fabr has at one time on MBN pointed out that you cannot run power foward with a chain like I am indicating as the pull being on the bottom and the slack being on the top will not work. But it can be made too work just as fine as frogs hair. And thats pretty fine.

That is a quote from earllier.          I've seen a few buggys( smaller ones ) that run an engine in the rear and get to the wheels one of two ways. Both run the chain forward ?   
1  from engine extend out the drive sprocket on a shaft to a chain going forward to a jackshaft behind the seat, then from this shaft back to the drive wheels.

2.  or from engine chain drive back to a jackshaft, then forward to jackshaft behind seat and then back to the drive wheels.     
both are confusing to say without a pic but are these what he was referring to when he said " cannot run power foward with a chain "       I understand this is a bad idea with a big engine, but I am concerned with smaller power plants.  If thats the case, it would be better to build a two seater and consider the passenger to be the powerplant, and throw the cooler on the rear engine mount.   ;D, but seriously, that messes with the whole jackshaft idea.  Anything to clear my vicadin laden head would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:14:28 PM by Buginator »

Admin

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »

i seen a cat triple in a quad run 2.70 in 300 ft sand drags... it was pretty damn wicked...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:43 PM »
(side note) Fabr has at one time on MBN pointed out that you cannot run power foward with a chain like I am indicating as the pull being on the bottom and the slack being on the top will not work. But it can be made too work just as fine as frogs hair. And thats pretty fine.

That is a quote from earllier.          I've seen a few buggys( smaller ones ) that run an engine in the rear and get to the wheels one of two ways. Both run the chain forward ?  
1  from engine extend out the drive sprocket on a shaft to a chain going forward to a jackshaft behind the seat, then from this shaft back to the drive wheels.

2.  or from engine chain drive back to a jackshaft, then forward to jackshaft behind seat and then back to the drive wheels.     
both are confusing to say without a pic but are these what he was referring to when he said " cannot run power foward with a chain "       I understand this is a bad idea with a big engine, but I am concerned with smaller power plants.  If thats the case, it would be better to build a two seater and consider the passenger to be the powerplant, and throw the cooler on the rear engine mount.   ;D, but seriously, that messes with the whole jackshaft idea.  Anything to clear my vicadin laden head would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not certain I said you cannot but if so I misspoke and should have said it is not recommended.The higher the hp the less desirable it is.It is also more critical that proper chain slack is maintained.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
I did word that wrong. You (Fabr) did say should not as its not recommended.

When I saw that I actually called a few places you had mentioned and they had told me as long as its aligned it will not make a differance due to simple centrifugal force. The chain expieiences so much centrifugal force that it does not know which way is up nor does it care.

As long as it hits the sprockets true it will run. They told me that. 

I would still be interested if anyone can say good or bad about this with examples.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 04:53:59 PM by Nutz4sand »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
The above is what all mfg's will tell you.They also all say that slack on top is not recommended.I have both spoken with and read written literature from all I could find.Please show me anywhere it says that slack on top is recommended .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal