Author Topic: Last Word on Silicone Gasket Makers  (Read 1486 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Last Word on Silicone Gasket Makers
« on: January 04, 2024, 02:06:41 PM »
I found this article extremely informative.

https://4lowmagazine.com/rtv-colors-and-when-to-use-them/
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Last Word on Silicone Gasket Makers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 05:23:33 PM »
That is great info ! So optimum grey 27036 is rated for exh mainfold/headers. Interesting.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 08:34:55 PM »
Told you to ditch the gaskets on your turbo. ;) ;)  On another site I was told the turbo guys do it all the time.  I was stunned to see the Optimum Gray had a 700* rating,only 50 below the red stuff.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 10:07:32 AM »
Yes you told me to ditch the gasket on my manifold. I did do so on e as well but it all melted out. To be fair , I used the ultra copper that is rated at 500*. Now, at that point, my cam was still mechanically retarded 6* and light load/light throttle runs, the manifold began to glow red.  to the point that a solid 5 mins at idle and it started to dim in color. The easy light drive through  trail to the gate and then low rpm slow ru  on asphalt to camp should've been enough to dim/cool the glowing red manifold.   

I say that because the ultra copper didn't stand a chance at those heat levels. This is why this manifold has warped and I've lost 3 copper gaskets.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 10:14:18 AM »
Yes you told me to ditch the gasket on my manifold. I did do so on e as well but it all melted out. To be fair , I used the ultra copper that is rated at 500*. Now, at that point, my cam was still mechanically retarded 6* and light load/light throttle runs, the manifold began to glow red.  to the point that a solid 5 mins at idle and it started to dim in color. The easy light drive through  trail to the gate and then low rpm slow ru  on asphalt to camp should've been enough to dim/cool the glowing red manifold.   

I say that because the ultra copper didn't stand a chance at those heat levels. This is why this manifold has warped and I've lost 3 copper gaskets.

Good article fabr, I will keep this for future ref

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 10:28:06 AM »

rofl I knew you would say that. I agree that if the flanges glow red there is a problem no matter what the gasket material is . Gotta find/fix the issue causing that before any gasket material will live. I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that the stuff like F1 or similar where the headers and entire turbo glow red there is no gasket used at all. That relies on near perfect mating of the flanges with stepped faces similar to self aligning v-band flanges..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:29:38 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 11:09:27 AM »
We will find out! Enemy has a degree wheel and solid lifter to set timing. If thats stops a glowing manifold then that was the problem  ;D

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 02:41:14 PM »

I had no idea Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound was made by them. I have 2 bottles of that. It has been fuel safe for myself on many tank gakets.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 07:12:14 PM »
We will find out! Enemy has a degree wheel and solid lifter to set timing. If thats stops a glowing manifold then that was the problem  ;D
Retarded timing will raise exhaust temps dramatically also. When degreeing the cam, check the timing pointer is correctly aligned with TDC also to be sure of what ignition timing is actually set at.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 06:36:15 AM »

Yup. It has needed info you won't find easily otherwise.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal