Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80725 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #360 on: August 16, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
i did get the shocks really close to were i want them while i am here as i have plenty of time lol and power steering is a must imo. the electronic gauge i bought , i really like that from perfect tuning. the rugged car to car and intercom..... worth every penny so far!   
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #361 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
i am only at 14 psi boost right now as we were still tuning. that is the spring in my wg. where there is no bottom end and i mean at all! when you hit 3k that turbo lights and hits 14 psi right now.....puts you back in your seat. can't wait to see 30 psi!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: August 16, 2017, 05:34:33 PM »
on another note.....my car is undrivable! steve was here with his turbo 2.3 and dougs rail.....scotts old rail with a turbo 2.3. stock 84 to 85 turbo, stock pistons, rods internals basically but mild ported heads and larger valves. one of the cheap easy upgrades is to put the roller cam out of a 94 95 ranger dual spark plug head into the turbo 2.3 to replace the stock slider cam ford used. this wakes up the bottom end off idle. i researched cams as i felt there was room for improvment over that stock rr cam ( ranger roller ). i called engle and talked to them about there hot pinto tubo cam. $425 shipped and a complete failure for a sand rail! it doesn't make power until 2800 rpm then the turbo starts to light vs the stock rr cam which lights the turbo 500 rpm off idle! now i will say for a racing cam say street or strip the hot pinto cam is a very good choice but for bottom end.....flat liner, undrivable, have to slip the clutch to even get it rolling! now i think the new walbro 450 e85 fuel pump is cashing out as i lost 10 psi fuel pressure over night. made to the bigger dunes by the lake but have to keep it above 4k rpm to keep the turbo lit and that's some real ground speed, too fast for me to go over the dunes and cannot slow down to check edges before you transition so no good riding in my rail. luckily scottsmith took me for several rides in his v8 4 seater.......i really like the v8!  lol raw tq!
yup 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #363 on: August 16, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »
i did get the shocks really close to were i want them while i am here as i have plenty of time lol and power steering is a must imo. the electronic gauge i bought , i really like that from perfect tuning. the rugged car to car and intercom..... worth every penny so far!   
I love the rugged setup too. I sprung for the alpha bass too.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: August 16, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
on another note.....my car is undrivable! steve was here with his turbo 2.3 and dougs rail.....scotts old rail with a turbo 2.3. stock 84 to 85 turbo, stock pistons, rods internals basically but mild ported heads and larger valves. one of the cheap easy upgrades is to put the roller cam out of a 94 95 ranger dual spark plug head into the turbo 2.3 to replace the stock slider cam ford used. this wakes up the bottom end off idle. i researched cams as i felt there was room for improvment over that stock rr cam ( ranger roller ). i called engle and talked to them about there hot pinto tubo cam. $425 shipped and a complete failure for a sand rail! it doesn't make power until 2800 rpm then the turbo starts to light vs the stock rr cam which lights the turbo 500 rpm off idle! now i will say for a racing cam say street or strip the hot pinto cam is a very good choice but for bottom end.....flat liner, undrivable, have to slip the clutch to even get it rolling! now i think the new walbro 450 e85 fuel pump is cashing out as i lost 10 psi fuel pressure over night. made to the bigger dunes by the lake but have to keep it above 4k rpm to keep the turbo lit and that's some real ground speed, too fast for me to go over the dunes and cannot slow down to check edges before you transition so no good riding in my rail. luckily scottsmith took me for several rides in his v8 4 seater.......i really like the v8!  lol raw tq!
If you are bored silly,you could try advancing the cam 4*. If that improves things,go 8* . Assuming you have valve to piston clearance.  Did you degree the cam install? Are you positive you aren't way too advanced ignition timing?  Too much total timing?  Timing all in too early/too aggressive timing curve? All can kill bottom end.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:45:51 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #365 on: August 16, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »
We had a similar issue with my dads ford 2300 and changed the cam. It ended up being a bad metering block.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #366 on: August 18, 2017, 12:45:52 PM »
i did not degree the cam before i installed the motor. i shouldave but got in a hurry to get engine set. so the way speedway and stinger say to set cam timing wjo degreeing is to 0 the cam out. i did just that after i found true top dead center. i did advance the cam 6* but that was wose so i set back to 0. 1 issue is that i have a 3 speed trans so no 1st. 4.43 r&p 2.30 1 in my case. so i`m starting in 2nd gear compared to a 4 speed but that has no bearing on the fact that i do not get power until 2800 rpm ish which is when the turbo starts to light. was reading up on the after market cams for these motors. pretty much all 3k rpm engagement.......i specifically asked and read many posts on this cam befor selecting it......they are wong or re all racers and hole shot at 3k rpm and above.                 punkur is the metering block on a carb`d engine?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #367 on: August 18, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
basically the 2 other turbo 2.3 rails there are running 94 ranger roller cams. boosts in off idle but are limited to 5500 rpm basically. taking off in2nd was an issue if 1 feathered the clutch. basically i am going to that cam and prob a 4.86 r&p

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2017, 06:11:45 PM »
i did not degree the cam before i installed the motor. i shouldave but got in a hurry to get engine set. so the way speedway and stinger say to set cam timing wjo degreeing is to 0 the cam out. i did just that after i found true top dead center. i did advance the cam 6* but that was wose so i set back to 0. 1 issue is that i have a 3 speed trans so no 1st. 4.43 r&p 2.30 1 in my case. so i`m starting in 2nd gear compared to a 4 speed but that has no bearing on the fact that i do not get power until 2800 rpm ish which is when the turbo starts to light. was reading up on the after market cams for these motors. pretty much all 3k rpm engagement.......i specifically asked and read many posts on this cam befor selecting it......they are wong or re all racers and hole shot at 3k rpm and above.                 punkur is the metering block on a carb`d engine?
I know your running injection but yes we had the issue with the carb metering block.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
 ok so i'm posting this here so i don't lose it again lol

megasand 4 speed stock....4.43 r&p 1st 330 2nd 221 3rd 167 4th 130   
my 3 speed they dump 1st and make all the other gears wider so 2nd thru 4th is now my 1st thu 3rd.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #370 on: August 19, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »
I know your running injection but yes we had the issue with the carb metering block.

interesting....sort of like no pump shot for accel or it wan't giving enough fuel through the hole range?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: August 19, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
ok so i'm posting this here so i don't lose it again lol

megasand 4 speed stock....4.43 r&p 1st 330 2nd 221 3rd 167 4th 130   
my 3 speed they dump 1st and make all the other gears wider so 2nd thru 4th is now my 1st thu 3rd.
Not meaning to sound like a dick but I wondered what possessed you to run a 3 speed . Going lower R&p will of course make taking off easier but will also magnify the rpm drops between gears. Can yours be converted back to 4 speed?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #372 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
 because i thought i would be 2nd third like i was in the blue v6 rail but that isn't the case. it can be converted back and i have another megasand that needs r&p that is a 4 speed with a 4.86 r&p. thinking hard about that as the 330 1st would lug it to get going. using the current cam would allow a higher rpm range which is what i wanted to begin with and the deeper r&p would bring ground speed down which is also a plus as second is too fast now for the way i like to pop over the dunes. anyway i thought they dumped 4th and then made the other 3 thicker which is stronger but actually they dump 1st.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #373 on: August 19, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »
with the gears i listed and these paddles at 32" dia i think the 4 speed with a 4.86 would keep me in the rpm ranger and bring ground speeds down. that v6 rail had a 4.57 r&p but don't remember the gears

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: August 20, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
there's some gear speed calculators online that make really,really easy work of comparing all of that. Sure,we all can do it "old school" but I'm lazy.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal