Author Topic: Turbo waste gate issue?  (Read 8365 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Turbo waste gate issue?
« on: November 02, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: Turbo waste gate issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »
Internal or external wastegate?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »
External I think - I will need to post a picture. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
Now with pics.....

Really, the rust is new -and I think the camera makes it really jump out...

I quickly hosed it off yesterday, let it run to burn off any water - hmmm, guess I need to knock that stuff off - I feel almost embarrassed at this point. 

But, it does remind me, yes, the lever does that the spring attaches to does operate freely, and I placed some oil on the pivot shaft when we started trying to figure it out - so, no, it is not simply locked up from rust. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:57:14 AM by yummi »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:34:22 PM »
That's an internal waastegate with just a spring on it.Is there an external wastegate that I don't see?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »
What you see is what I have.

Jay

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:08:16 PM »
The problem is you don't have a wastegate. The wastegate should be where that spring is with a vacuum line attach to the compression side of the turbo. Compression side meaning anywhere from the housing to the intake mani, but the turbo compression housing is best, keep the vacuum line as short as possible.

So right now you have nothing to bleed of excess boost and if that engine isn't tuned for 20 psi it might go boom boom.
What model of turbo is that? Did it come of a car?
Your best bet would be to get a replacement stock wastegate or you'd have to modify your exhaust manifold to bolt on an external.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:26:32 PM »
Well hell.  Time to clean up somebody else's - wait, now its my - mess.

Always a good time.

What are my options? 

Jay

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »
Well do you have the answers to my questions, that's a good start. Yuor best bet is the stock replacement for whatever model of turbo that is. If you can't find one your going to need to cut a hole in the manifold or the pipe going to the exhaust turbine, mount a wastegate flange and bolt up an external wastegate. I'd suggest a Tial, i use one on my turbo Civic, very good and dependable wastegate.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »
The problem is you don't have a wastegate. The wastegate should be where that spring is with a vacuum line attach to the compression side of the turbo. Compression side meaning anywhere from the housing to the intake mani, but the turbo compression housing is best, keep the vacuum line as short as possible.

So right now you have nothing to bleed of excess boost and if that engine isn't tuned for 20 psi it might go boom boom.
What model of turbo is that? Did it come of a car?
Your best bet would be to get a replacement stock wastegate or you'd have to modify your exhaust manifold to bolt on an external.
He has a wastegate with just a spring on it.He's missing the boost controlled actuator. Who the hell set that up like that anyway?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Jay

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »
Jeez your a friggin nit picker. Yes there's a wastegate VALVE, exactly why i said there should be one (actuator) in place of that spring. SO sorry next time i'll draw a damn diagram and label everything. I'm still right with the corrections to the problem

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:29:47 PM »
LOL! Yes you're right about the problem. I know it was nitpicking but he didn't know what a wasetgate was and I didn't want him thinking the actuator was a wastegate next time he was bench racing with his buddies and get embarrassed because he described it wrong.I don't know about your buddies but they'd eff with me forever for that one. ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

boltz2012

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »
Hey Yummi i think everyone will agree with me on this but if your motor is set up for ten PSI boost when you go get a actuator "wastegate...cuz im gonna bet you will have to cut a hole in your mani and add one...anyhow you need to make sure it has a springs rated for ten pounds. That way you wont ever get more than ten. Also you said it jumps around alot....if i understand you right thats called boost spike. And you wanting the power to be more linear...what its doing now is called turbo LAG. Every turbo lovers nightmare. Even without a wastegate it shouldnt just fly up to 20 psi instantly. Its lagging until it spools completely then wham your at 20 psi. Several things can cause lag. A boost leak is the most common. Also the header can come into play some and prolly the number one biggest reason is a good tune not being used. Ive got a 800 hp honda civic sitting in my back yard that i fought lag with big time when we first built it. Id be strolling down the interstate and downshift to pass someone and the turbo wouldnt spool till about 8 1/2 g's. Id go from just smoothly strolling by someone to being forced back in the seat with my cheeks wrapped around the head rest in a split second. No boost to 35 psi. Ever seen a family hatch back start boiling the tires like it was sitting still while doing 70 on the interstate? Fun but very dangerouse.

Jay

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:17 AM »
That's a pretty small turbo it shouldn't be lagging much but yeah he's definately spiking big time. Ever figure out what that turbo is, does it Say Garrett, Holset, anything on the compressor housing? Any A.R. markings? We need info

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 06:45:39 AM »
The car is at the other house.  (I have two right now and get to move this weekend - I hate moving)

I checked when I was at the dunes - but did not see any markings - in part I think because the prior guy had it chromed.   I will have to shine a light and see what I can find.  I did some more research, clearly the actuator has been removed.  This also does not look like a stock turbo for a 2.0 liter.  I need to look at the flange a bit closer to confirm.  Anyway, should have that information, or lack thereof later today.   

Spike - yep, that describes it.  I don't think it has a leak.   Not a lag issue.   Familiar with lag, and it spools quickly. 

My guess is yes, unless I can figure out what actuator it is supposed to have, I will end up having a flange welded to the header - it is gusseted there, so, it would likely hold.   

BTY,  Master - thanks for looking out for my backside "... bench racing with his buddies and get embarrassed because he described it wrong."  Heck, embarrassed is a state of being for me, so no real worries there; but always good to learn something.  Sooner or later we can get my pea brain upgraded to a walnut.

Oh the joys of buying used.     
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:46:06 AM by yummi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal