Author Topic: interesting discussion  (Read 2362 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
interesting discussion
« on: August 14, 2022, 05:39:27 AM »
the entire video is sort of interesting. he does a decent job explaining the rear end design for the mass's that don't really want to understand.  at 21:14 he offers his thoughts on trailing arms.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:07:23 AM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: interesting discusion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 05:44:38 AM »
another interesting video over all but pay attention to 6:40 where is address's shock theropy's  thoughts  :m
not sure if anyone remebers where the owner of shock theropy got his start in the offroad biz.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: interesting discusion
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 07:06:10 AM »
i want to start off by saying i have 0 issues with TA rear ends. TA ( trailing arm ) rear end designs are solid and have a lot of plus's. a arm rear ends offer more imo as well as multi link. the sxs 3 link designs are lacking in a lot of area's imo. in the Shock theropy (ST) video he mentions the rzr xp inhearant 4" toe in flaw. that is absolutely horrible and unacceptable imo. a team of engineers and that was the best they could come up with! how bad is the front end then?? i still cannot figure out why rzr put that toe link on the pro R !? it looks to be 22* or less and i cannot wrap my head around why that would be a good idea for toe adjustment! the sxs's are top heavy and roll easy, for that reason alone i personally believe the TA would be a better fit as they don't seem to want to go wider for stability. couple that with the wheel travel war they have going on, and the lack of suspension design, the TA is an even better choice.  i really like that 2.0 engine rzr put out but the sxs is just sooooo ugly ( looks like japenese animae )as i find most of them. robby's design is far more appealing.

i saw that the new rzr has a claimed 24" of wheel travel and 16" of GC at ride height. as we all know, to have a usable 24" of wheel travel you will need 28" of GC at full droop. so does that mean the rzr is giving up 50% at ride height?? my guess is the rzr doesn't have a true 24" of wheel travel. if it did, it would be extremely top heavy at full droop as narrow as it would get at only 72" wide track width.

one thing that was stated by ST was that 18" of wheel travel is all one really needs, i agree. i disagree with his reasoning why he wouldn't choose a TA rear end as a team of engineers should easily be able to design the solution the telescoping cv/axle issue.  now he didn't go into detail and i understand why. he is speaking to the mass's and they don't want to understand they just want to pick out the prettiest color.

robby stated in his video that 11" of travel, with a proper shock  configuration, won a desert race, also that they went with 22" travel in there utv's.  again , i agree , with a properly spec'd shock , this makes all the diff in the world. they are not cheap though and why he's running 4.0 shocks on speed utv's sxs's.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: interesting discussion
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 06:29:33 PM »
Great vids. Some differing opinions . Not unusual. I'd buy an RG car before I'd spend a penny on a Poolaris anything honestly. RG looks to be high quality engineering and build quality , ready for battle when you get it unlike Poolaris and all other SxS with serious compromises of design.

As for the different rear suspensions , all have positives and negatives including my favorite type-A arm.  RG never addressed the rear axle shaft and how much plunge was and how it is dealt with . I'd like to see a lot more about that though.

We need to sit down and discuss this stuff at LS. Way too much to type . LOL!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 10:16:20 AM »
If I were in the market for a sxs I would , hands down, by the RG sxs!

I like the idea of the 2.0 4 cyl a lot but everything surrounding the engine is by far inferior to RG's build.

I agree, RG didn't address the axle plunge. Based on his testing videos alone I would say he's got it figured out , to some point. I am still baffled how a team of engineers couldn't do better then 4" toe in !!!

On another note, I contacted bo port (where my head and cam came from) to inquire about my 2.1 cam specs to correctly set mechanical timing. His response was interesting. I do not have a degree wheel nor the experience so I will run it  3/4 mile down the road to wishmans shop and pay him to while I work on other things. I know I advanced the cam 8* on the last trip just trying to stop the super heating/warping of my header. It seemed too but my trans let got noon that day. Def not an interference motor  :D as i was off a min of 8* and possibly still off up to another 4 *.  :m

We have a lot to catch up on our next run.!!    ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 02:40:16 PM »
You have a link to engjne info for the RG? 

The high egt on your engjne was likely retarded ign timing and hadnothing to do with cam timing. Regardless , if it were me i'd install it straight up and proceed from there. Ive not seen a cam ever run better with more than 4 degrees +/-.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 02:41:48 PM »
Btw, ST knows his stuff but hes a true snake.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 03:05:37 PM »
Btw, ST knows his stuff but hes a true snake.

yes he is and his buddies including revenge racing of predator sand cars.

there ins't a lot of indepth info on the motor but this seems to be fairly decent....... https://www.utvunderground.com/2021-speed-utv-4-engine-details

interesting statement about the belt   ..... What about the belt life?
It’s a sore topic. Yes, the Speed UTV will have a belt, but Robby Gordon being Robby Gordon, thought of everything. You’re going to have a infrared belt temp sensor, that’s going to limit the throttle response in order to help save the belt if it notices the belt getting hot. Don’t like that? Not a big deal, push a button and go ham on that belt. Similar to what you’re used to in your daily driver with traction control, you’re going to have a button to disable the throttle limiting if the infrared sensor notices the belt is running hot.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:15:34 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »
You have a link to engjne info for the RG? 

The high egt on your engjne was likely retarded ign timing and hadnothing to do with cam timing. Regardless , if it were me i'd install it straight up and proceed from there. Ive not seen a cam ever run better with more than 4 degrees +/-.

this is also called the E bar method and the only way i have every read on how to do it. ford manual states this but in factory timing marks, the link to speedway motors adjustable timing gears for the 2.3 states this as well and stinger perfromance also has a write up about it. so that is how i set the hot pinto cam that was noooooo good and swapped out for a stock ranger roller cam.  i know we mechanically advanced the cam 8* at the dunes after jon told me he had to as well when it was on his engine.  so, here is BO's response from bo port.........

Hi Brian,

As you are finding out anything other than degreeing the cam in with a degree wheel is a guess. The 2.1 needs to be degreed to 112 degree intake lobe centerline. Your shop will be able to do this. You or they will need a solid lifter installed on #1 intake to degree the cam. Let me know if you need any more information and hope you get it running better.

Bo

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
forward to 18:36   

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 03:27:10 PM »
i just watched the entire engine walk around in that video......... i keep hearing very very suttle hints of yamaha said no on a motor, or remember the remarks polaris made or looks what texton did to our design  :m  i starting to think there may be a revenge theme involved with this  design! would love to see the same crew design a 2 ltre dry sumped!!  ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 03:30:16 PM »
I'll watch the vids tonite.  Are you pretty welo versed in what the effects are when advancing/retarding a cam?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 03:43:56 PM »
I'll watch the vids tonite.  Are you pretty welo versed in what the effects are when advancing/retarding a cam?

i am going to say, to a min point. i understand retarding adds top and and advancing adds bottom end.  diff cam profiles for super charged or turbo engines, but that's really the jist of it . read some info but never put it to memory.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 03:46:52 PM »
based on what i had read about the effects of a cam retarded too far was that it could let fuel into the manifold which would cause super heating at light throttle as the fuel was still burning  rather then exhausting. the articles stated these effects would dwindle at rpm.  that was last fall and a lot of time has past since then.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 01:43:42 PM »
a guy was told his cam has to be installed retarded 8* or he'll loose power.  the dyno guy showed him this was true and asked what cam.......not the full description but the cliff notes to explain what i am going to copy and paste.

"There is absolutely no way that a retarded cam, especially as drastic as 8 degrees will produce more power than the same cam installed straight up. (Especially throughout the entire RPM range) Most high performance cams are ground with 2 to 3 degrees advance, primarily to take up for slack in the timing chain and sprockets.
A quick rule of thumb is that the cam will make slightly more power at low RPM when advanced (but will loose the same amount of power at higher RPM) and a retarded cam will produce slightly more power at high RPM (again, producing slightly less power at lower RPM levels). Advancing or retarding the camshaft timing does not necessarily produce MORE power, it just changes the power output at upper or lower RPM levels. It is really just a trade-off.
If the subject engine does not follow these rules, then the camshaft is not the correct one of optimum performance. Time to experiment with some other cam profiles.
Bill"

i am posting this as i thought it was an interesting statement. been glancing here and there today and yesterday when i have tiny bits of free time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal