Author Topic: starters and crank rpm  (Read 8406 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: starters and crank rpm
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
On a side note,I've done so many leak down tests in the last 35 years I can say I have a handle on cylinder sealing. 20 years maching race blocks for a lot of guys that demanded low,low leakdown rates on new engines of no more than 5% with conventional ring packages. Less yet for no gap top rings. To achieve this the rings need perfect sealing,the valves must pass a vacumn test of zero leakage and of course the head gasket must be perfect. Sooooo,if everything is so perfect,why is there any leakage? It's that little,bitty +/-.030 ring gap. That doesn't do anything but get bigger. FAST.  Only .0005 wear in the bore or ring face wear of .00025 will open up end gap approx.0015 depending on bore size. Soooooo,even if the rings were leaking anything and actually needed seating in time,the benefits would be negated by the opening up end gap.

good point
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
well finally got my no start cold start dialed in. had to reduce even more cold cranking fuel and open the iac up down at 40* f area for a touch more air but fires sluggishly then smooths right out at 50* so far. it was flat flooding out before.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
Sluggish or still fat after fire could still use a touch more crank fuel pulled out. If it remains rich for a few seconds or more after firing, start pulling fuel from the ASE table. ASE taper (time the ASE is active) can be reduced or increased to find the sweet spot before "warm up enrichment" (WUE)  takes over to complete the remainder of the warmup cycle. Cool you are getting it dialed in!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »
well went out and made a few more tiny adjustments and getting there. it does start ok. this was the coldest i have tried. on another note......i have had the wg plumbed from comp to electronic boost controller (ebc) then back to wg. we turned on boost control at the dunes and turned it up but wasn't doing anything so didn't mess with it again. i saw on turbosmarts site that they suggest ( sine i have a 2 port wg) that one T's into the vac line from the comp and send that T'd line to the lower wg port . from that T point run the other side to ebc and back from ebc to top port. well i did this but shut ebc off so i could go make a quick run and freeze my but off! apparently it must be naturally open as it didn't send any pressure back to the wg! luckily the rising rate fuel reg plus tune saved my butt so when it it hit 29 psi boost the afr's were at 10.1!!  didn't think that would happen but wow does it break traction fast in the dirt lol

this is the way it is now  https://www.rx7club.com/attachments/single-turbo-rx-7s-23/464522d1336692147-what-symtoms-wastegate-spring-its-limits-boostcontroller-ebcs2.jpg

this is how it was at the dunes and i'm using a pierburg ebc    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3gF6_pOJsy4/UkUw33DP89I/AAAAAAAAGb8/a5Etbk5LIQg/s1600/Fullscreen+capture+27092013+30604+PM.jpg

after thinking about it and looking at some info the way i have it now really only works if the ebc is on otherwise it just send pressure back to wg to hold it shut lol

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:16:01 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 07:41:10 PM »
i kind of like this idea!!!!! better dash and fully configurable using a tablet and looks the blue tooth option on my ms3 will work.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »
regarding that tablet into dash video.... the guy that designed and programmed the digital gauge i use ( perfect tuning) http://perfecttuning.net/en/ ........and if i sent a tablet if he would be willing to hard wire and program it like my gauge to install TS shawdow dash so i can lay it out for my functions. i asked because i didn't know if the rugged radio would interfere with the blue tooth signal. this is his response for anyone thinking of this.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for you feedback.

Yes you can use a tablet. You can use bluetooth because bluetooth use frequency band 2.4ghz and your radio is only in the 134-174 mhz band.

I have bluetooth modules that you can connect to ms2 or ms3 ecu with serial port.

regarding quick boot time, you can power the tablet with a usb power supply and use something like tasker to turn on/off the tablet when charging is detected (key on). This way you leave the tablet always on but you disable everything that draw power so it can stay on but with screen closed for a long time.

For the android applications, there is Shadow dash, MSDroid and Real dash.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Offline big dave

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
Bill (Garden city  ks )  guy, with the 3.8 supercharged car runs a  tablet on his sand car. the only complaints I have heard from him,  is sometime its hard to see the screen. sun glare on the screen. his use blue tooth from the obd port 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 02:57:15 PM »
he needs to make an eyebrow for it. does he have a full roof?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline big dave

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »
he needs to make an eyebrow for it. does he have a full roof?
yes, he has a full roof with sides.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
so big dave....what upgrades are you considering making to your rail after the sale of that collectors vw van?

Offline big dave

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »
so big dave....what upgrades are you considering making to your rail after the sale of that collectors vw van?
That is a good Question. I'm not sure. At this point, I'm looking at option.  letting the bank build right now. would love to go to the 2.5 Subaru. but if I do that, I will be mounting it to my 091 box. well you know that is just lighting a fuse. how long before I blow the trans. SSSoooo, ok, buy the 4d!!! well hell!  Now I'm out there at 18000.00 in motor and trans. Been watching sand car sales. Might as well  just buy a new car. Do some trading up. sale the old car. recoup some of the cost. but to be honest. no real plan at this time. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
i have been looking around at md4e used gear box's....they are bringing more money then i thought they should  but used looking at $4k to $4500 and new you can find them all over at $5500 so hard to justify used if the gearing is wrong! i feel your pain on price tag of changing motor  rofl just did that and i try real hard not to think of what this cost me but after selling my old engine and the system, cut the swap price in half and in the end i like the additional power. the trans gearing is still an issue but will get that taken care of eventually. the new md4e, btw, only comes with a 5.14 r&p so they can run larger 1st thru 4th gears for strength, or so i have been told, also i was informed it uses a dana 44 diff and 2" narrower (flange to flange) than the bus or megasand trans. that spacing diff is what has me on hold for now as i have an a arm rear end.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:30:30 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »
also last i looked, the weddle hv series started at $6500. i was told the hv1 was no stronger than the md4e other than a much stonger rev gear based off the 094 bus trans but all in weddle race gears.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »
i have been looking around at md4e used gear box's....they are bringing more money then i thought they should  but used looking at $4k to $4500 and new you can find them all over at $5500 so hard to justify used if the gearing is wrong! i feel your pain on price tag of changing motor  rofl just did that and i try real hard not to think of what this cost me but after selling my old engine and the system, cut the swap price in half and in the end i like the additional power. the trans gearing is still an issue but will get that taken care of eventually. the new md4e, btw, only comes with a 5.14 r&p so they can run larger 1st thru 4th gears for strength, or so i have been told, also i was informed it uses a dana 44 diff and 2" narrower (flange to flange) than the bus or megasand trans. that spacing diff is what has me on hold for now as i have an a arm rear end.
I'm not convinced the 1" each side narrower is a big deal. Have you calculated how much plunge it would induce? I still think it is very probable that axle spline slip will accommodate the plunge. Of course that is just a guess unless I had your mounting points.  Even if it did add too much plunge for the axle splines you could always run slip joint axles like I have but proved out I did not need............
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:57:48 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal