Author Topic: It's Time! Summer Upgrades  (Read 12051 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: It's Time! Summer Upgrades
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 05:14:57 AM »
My thoughts.
I have learned along time ago to research what you are trying to do and the person doing the project is the one that needs to be happy with the end result. I know I cannot speak for everyone but I personally have had a lot of do overs when putting together something to do with a sand rail.
I can have a very good garage sale on all of the do over parts in my storage shed!!

Have a great day everyone.

Winner Winner Chicken Diner.  No two people drive there car the same.  What works for one will not always work the same for others.

As long as your running a real light pressure plate, you should be OK. Like stock poundage light.........

Not always.
I run a 3000# PP with my double disk and have had 0 clutch problems, and the only reason I have had to rebuild my trans is because I missed a shift.  Not because of the clutch.  Again any one can brake things,  It's just how you drive the car. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 05:27:04 AM »
I've gotta redo clutch on my m/c rail after last trip (slipping bad).
Glad to see there are as many opinions about auto clutch as bike clutches.  Everyone seems to have a diff way of doing it; depending on how they use it, where they use it.  Nothing is a yes/no answer.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »
Personally I see no way that the clutch should EVER slip so I do not see the wisdom in running a light pressure plate other than lower pedal effort,not to act as a slip section in the driveline.Dual/multiple (think MC) disc clutches are inherently able to use much lower pressure pressure plates and not slip. That said Carl hit the nail on the head and so did Fast and sandvw. There is no one answer.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Personally I see no way that the clutch should EVER slip so I do not see the wisdom in running a light pressure plate other than lower pedal effort,not to act as a slip section in the driveline

I think the slip is more of an Off-road racing thing. When you need to be able to hammer on a trans for several hundred miles and make a few mistakes in that time, it's cheap insurance. On the transaxle cars I have prept, it's pretty easy to measure the disk after a test session and figure out how long it will go for and adjust your pressure up or down depending on the results.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 09:05:19 PM »
thanks,good info! I can see that in that type of application.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32:11 AM »
So this is part of the reason for the redo. 

After buying the car we discovered a crack on the frame on the passenger side.  That was repaired for the season.  At that time we also discovered that the "torsion tube" was bent.  It has a bow that may not show in pictures.   We decided that we could likely run it for the season then redo it.  Throw in a mid season tranny swap with some temporary mounts, etc and the whole rear is sort of buggered up.  We also discovered a new crack at the left side of the car.   

The trouble is the design of the tubes, and their intersections.  The guy that originally built the car had a great vision, and generally good execution, but at this area it could have been done different.  There are a total of 12 tubes that intersect with the torsion bar area.  It is in some respects the lynch pin area to the whole car. 

To remedy the cracking issues and redo / repair this area effectively the entire rear end of the car will be cut off.   Fuel tank - out.  Radiator - out, entire rear cage assembly - tossed.  Chop chop weld weld.   

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »
Had to study the pics for a but but I finally see what you are saying. Ya, a bit of redesign would go a long way.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »
Good golly this is going slowly.   

Delay on tranny a bit.  Come to find out I am hard on 2nd gear.  Should be back on track soon enough as Bill will be done this week.  Then off to AZP.   Woot - sucks that I have now officially blown up my budget, but I do have a degree in poly sci, so the politician in me says that is totally acceptable.

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline D Walker

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
I don't hae a degree but i can talk myself into stuff all the time.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 05:10:44 AM »
I don't hae a degree but i can talk myself into stuff all the time.

I do that all the time DW.  So your ok.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 05:12:58 AM »
Good golly this is going slowly.   

Delay on tranny a bit.  Come to find out I am hard on 2nd gear.  Should be back on track soon enough as Bill will be done this week.  Then off to AZP.   Woot - sucks that I have now officially blown up my budget, but I do have a degree in poly sci, so the politician in me says that is totally acceptable.

Ya Yummi for president. bounce bounce dd:

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:31 AM »
Ya Yummi for president. bounce bounce dd:
  nono nono  Even though I'd vote for Yum faster than the deficit clock can spin, I have come to the conclusion that the political process can ruin a good man.  And if you were to shake things to much you'll be next to Jimmy Hoffa?

Its the build process and a song; One thing leads to Another!!  jj: jj:
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline MC

• Fabricator
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »
Never saw this first time around but I can tell you from experience I would stay with a standard 4 puck clutch. Brian pretty much hit that one on dead center.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 09:05:33 AM »
Wowsers. Hard to find a torsion bar. That has finally shipped. Car looks sad and lonely waiting on the torsion bar. Then some gussets here and there, brackets there and everywhere, powder this, polish that and mount the other; it will be zipped up.

Combine the torsion bar sourcing issue with some minor delays from Jason @ AZP and well, it is a little behind schedule. Now, no worries on Jason @ AZP Concepts. We knew going in that some of his time was allocated. Some other opportunities have come up for him that I so hope will put him on the map. If it all comes to be, and I think it will, we will do a thread just for that. I am one of his biggest cheerleaders and want only the absolute best for him.

So that my project gets put on the back burner from time to time is just fine. He knows his absolute cut off dates and he will work day and night to finish it up. Besides, he really needs his floor space back.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal