Author Topic: 3.5L Intrepid powered 2 seater  (Read 6998 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: 3.5L Intrepid powered 2 seater
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
Went on line looking for a pic of the car at LS but found this instead.
Nice sand funnel.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »
I too have seen many Intrepid tranny failures. Its shape DOES beg to be used though. But the tranny is weak. In a light buggy it should fare beter after a GOOD shop massages it a bit.

Here a thought if any of you know of it. Older Ford mini broncos used to be 4wd or 2wd in the rear like most vehicles. When they went to the four doors and called them Explorers they at first kept this.

But lately there are these newer smaller explorers with independant rear suspension. When I saw my first one a little bit back it HAD NO REAR DIFF in the back in the center. Thus its front wheel drive WITH a front engine. These are kinda heavy machiens still and they are no slouch in the power department.  (not the kings of the hill by any means!) Now I have NEVER got to see how the drivetrain is setup but its a front engine front wheel drive so if anyone has access to one it "may" be an idea for a good "midi" power unit.   I will try to find some pics of it if I can. Anyone know someone who owns one?
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

plkracer

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »
You are talking about the escape?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »
It might be that PLK. It looks just like the explorer anyways. but its got IRS and many of them running around have NO DIFF in the but end and are front wheel drive.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

plkracer

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »
Yeah, they come in FWD and AWD. The newest one is the edge. I think they stopped the escape last year. After looking at some transmission pictures, they all have the same problem of being offset heavily to one side.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:03 PM »
The biggest problem IMO with any of the Front wheel drive transaxles is always gear ratio, and there is never an easy way to change it or much of an aftermarket.  I wonder if an escape 4x4 has low lock?  If so you might have the answer to the gear ratio problem.  If it would survive.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
Being the nature of the Escape I bet the ring and pinion IS changeable for a deeper ratio but you gotta remember its already turning a tall tire and pulling a butt load of weight.  Knock roughly 2/3rd of the weight off with a lightweight buggy frame and it would likely do OK.

Dunno about its offset. I still need to see one but most 4x4's that have that setup DO have a cv out each side relativley close in length.

I remember the first IRS toyota pickups had that little front axke under the oil pan and then to CV's. There were some kits with that that could get some serious travel for the distances (short axles) they had to work with. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
Went on line looking for a pic of the car at LS but found this instead.

first off nice pic! and ya I remember that rail at ls, the owner said the guy building them was actually building them for people in wheel chairs.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »
so what are your guys thoughts on an 2/3rds aluminum 2.3 duratech 4 cyl ford focus motor? stock 170 hp, with a top end make over I have read 300 hp claimed n/a, these motors are light. you could get the 2.0 instead with 130 hp, that would be fine on a cleaned up 091 or built 002. the motors are cheap at a salvage yard ( 2.0 $300 for a late model low milege , the 2.3 a little more ) and I bet the 2.0 130 hp would be a great combo on the type 1 transaxle in mid ship configuration, of course you would need the rhino case and weddle gears including their new R&P ( 3.88-1 ) but it would still be cheaper than building an 091. the clutch and adapter plate would be cheaper than most of the others I think it is a lot like the pinto plates but I am not sure.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:34 AM »
Faber, DS wanted to go mid engine with his car but in the bus trans you can not roll over the diff according to our trans guy. You would have to machine the case at least. He was not confident there was enough material there for the strength to remain. Or mount the whole trans upside down. Don't forget to plug the vent hole.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 10:18:44 AM »
Faber, DS wanted to go mid engine with his car but in the bus trans you can not roll over the diff according to our trans guy. You would have to machine the case at least. He was not confident there was enough material there for the strength to remain. Or mount the whole trans upside down. Don't forget to plug the vent hole.
Yes.yes.no.yes.yes. I agree with you.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 07:16:01 PM »

actually dunebound69 you can roll the tranny over but I was trying to figure out if I could just make a new bell housing so that when I did flip it over the starter would stay on top rather than in my skid plate. but it turned into to to much expense not to meantion the cost of the mid shifter and then the weight of the iron v-6 would have been a bit much in mid ship I believe but I did look at it long and hard. I would have an aluminum 2ltre mid ship, on a built t1 with all weddle gears and r&p if they would have finished their new r&p's by the first of feb like they told me instead of calling me in Oct on my way to the dunes to let me know that sorry they got pushed behind for a bigger run but we now have some for sale! we both know if the starter would've been hanging down to my skid plate it would've been ripped off by now ;D. before you roll the tranny over you need to drill two 5/8" holes directly above the existing oil ports and yes you do need to plug the factory breather hole on the nose cone and re-drill on the other side for a breather. what shane told me was in doing a transaxle like this you would then need to run 4 qts of gear lube in the transaxle to make sure you still got the oil to the gears but he also said that everyone running the bus transaxles offroad should run 4 qts ( one gallon ) anyway to make up for all the hill climbing and wheelies. you know about those wheelies! ;D ;D

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
I know nothing, nothing about no wheelies officer.  ;D ;D

I just remember miding a 091 was a pain compared to the type 1. Shane put out so much info I found it easier to drink instead.  :o
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal