Author Topic: Boostinjdm's Toys  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Boostinjdm's Toys
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:37:40 AM »
This is my blaster.  It was a scrap pile buy with a blown motor.  I thought it needed more oomph so it got an 1978 Yamaha SR500 engine.  It's a 500cc four stroke thumper.  About 35hp.  I had to build a fuel tank and an oil tank and do a little work to get get everything to fit under the stock plastic, but I like it.  These are pics from when I was test fitting everything.  It then got stripped and painted a nice metalic blue.
This post has been edited due to content.

SPEC

Re: Boostinjdm's Toys
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »
COOL'
So how's it ride?

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 06:47:08 AM »
it's fun.  I think it needs new sliders for the cam chain, but for the $600 or so I got in it I did alright.  My buddy couldn't keep up on his new 400cc polaris, so I was always smiling when we rode together. ;D

Since the pics were taken, it has gotten a new fuel pump, mikuni slide carb and a supertrap QC muffler.  those are included in that $600 figure.  I would sell it to fund my other projects, but I don't have any papers and don't know the history, so it's a private ground only vehicle.  I do know where the motor came from so I guess I know half the history.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
Are you tigging the alum or mig??

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
tig, but I am set up to do either.

405dentech

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
That's some good work stuffing that engine into the frame.  :) You need to see the blaster I just got through building for the ole lady. I gave $800 for it 2 years ago, wrecked it and broke my jaw in two places. I know have over $4k in it. Dyno's at 32hp with the factory motor with some serious mods. ;D

405dentech

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:04:59 PM »
If you could stuff a bigger air filter in there it would probably make a little more power also. I just looked at the pics again and both of those tanks look great! Extremely impressed with the engineering with your build on the (master blaster). ;D

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:20:55 AM »
those are all progress pics a few things have been changed slightly.  it does now have a bigger filter.  I have clearance issues with the tube right behind it.  Since you got a blaster, you can appreciate how small of a package I had to work with.  the head of the sr500 actually sticks up between the frame rails, that's why I had to toss the stock fuel tank.  It runs great.  I would like to take the engine back out and go through it cuz the top end is making crazy noises.  I should power wash it and post up some more current pics.

robndeb

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »
I used to have a 78 XT500. It had the same engine as the SR. I used to call it the tractor because of the amount of torque it put out. Wheelies anytime!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I wish I had an xt.  I believe the only difference is the xt had a different carb and bigger cooling fins.  I love thumpers.  if I take the muffler off and run straight pipe it will make any HD fall to pieces.  The low pitch thump thump thump will make shit fall off the walls at idle.

robndeb

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
I miss that bike, well not really. I hated kick starting it, the drum brakes, the suspension.....
I'm too old for that kind of crap. Got me through high school just fine though.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 10:55:33 PM »
You think the bike was tough to kick start...I had to take like 3" out of the kicker so it wouldn't hit the tire when I put it in the blaster.  I use the three kick rule,  if it won't start in three kicks I don't ride.  Otherwise I can't walk the next day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal