Author Topic: Question for the masses.  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Question for the masses.
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
I drive a lot for work.  About 65k a year, or 200k every three.  I figure this year, time for another new one.  The current ride is a Chrysler 200s w/ 6 cyl at 290hp with over 30mpg on highway.  So, new ones?  All turbo 1.5 and 2.0 many with CVTs. 

So, discussion. I like the 290 hp passing , grades, etc.  How low is too low on HP for street car assuming typical driving?  Not many normally aspirated 6cyl with automatics out there. 

New Honda, Hyundai, etc are at 250HP or so with really flat torque curves.  Turbo 4's.

My inclination is to avoid CVT more than avoid Turbo. 

Ideally I would avoid both and find normal 6cyl with auto trans as they tend to be bullet proof combos.  Few and far between any more.  Some Buick, Toyota, Lexus, Cadillac, but again, not too many to choose from.  Dodge and Chrysler are really old platforms. (I think 10 years or so?)  Hence the 200, not a 300 or Charger.  Even the Avalon and Lexus is an old platform.  Seems they are getting really dated. 

So, any input on turbo vs cvt?  turbo and cvt?  Seriously, how much HP does a street car / highway cruiser need?  (BTW, More is not a good answer here)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:19:07 PM by Yummi »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Question for the masses.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
OK,a LOT more. :) :) :)  Seriously though,I have zero idea .  I'm a truck guy and so is the wife unit. That said there is no reason at all to fear turbos. CVT's? No opinion but RZR's have them............ ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:29:19 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Question for the masses.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
not a fan of cvt's having seen issues with several but not sure if the new models have finally gotten right. ever look at the newer subaru's? the newer ones are pretty comfortable. even if you find one only say 200hp as long as it has the lower gearing it should be fine. 250 + would be my choice with the lower gearing offered as what they call tall gears for mpg's don't seem to improve mpg's infact they hurt them on the hwy but help them inner city stop and go traffic.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal