Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 21999 times)

Toufs

Re: Hello All
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 07:43:32 PM »
Hey there dsrace, thanks for asking. I let it get to running temp on idle then after about 2 miles of driving not slow or flat out, the temp gauge starts going up. It will not over heat on idle tho, that I find weird because I ride sport bikes and once you get into city stand still traffic the temp gauge goes up until you get going with some wind coming through. I did forget to mention that the thermostat is bad and am running without it. To my knowledge the thermostat is not needed for cooling. But im getting 1 anyway coming with the sensor. My friend has a temp gauge that we are going to use but you know the whole busy with the hurricane prep and take down, buggy work was at a halt. Thanks for all the advice on the bleeding I will give it a try and hope for the best. I must say I never knew about the bleeding thing so I hope its as simple as that. WOW I would be so stoked. Really appreciate all the advice bro. Thanks for the read.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
Usually if you drill a small hole (1/8") in the edge of the thermostat itself it will let the air bubble pass and bleeding it will be a non-issue.  I can't remember if I did it to that one or if the one in there was even the one in there when I sold it.  It's a super common trick in automobiles and some manufacturers even do it from the factory.  I've never had a negative side effect from it so I have always done it.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
ya a air bubbles do funny things but if it was a thermostat it would over heat at idle pretty quick. usually 1500 to 2k rpm gets the coolant flowing and helps cool as the water pump isn't moving quite enough coolant at idle. this has been my experience though i cannot state this for fact on all motors. a simple ir temp gun  aimed at the thermostat neck will tell you what temp it is right there. on my busa , n/a or when it was turbo'd .....the temp gauge always went to half way and sat there. i did check with an ir temp gun twice to make sure. easy to do run it till it gets to where you think it's running hot and skid to a stop and jump out and check with the temp gun. will get you close and easy way to see if the temp sensor is working right. also have you checked to make sure the cooling fan is coming on? if the previous owner got a few other things incorrectly reassembled then he may have missed that one too. just a thought anyway. beyond all of that may need a larger radiator for where you are and how you drive. maybe larger fan then radiator once all else has been checked.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:46:07 PM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Toufs

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 09:51:37 PM »
Hey guys still here after Maria gave us some hurricane force of its northeastern side thank God we missed 3 bullets in a row, not that we totally missed it but D0minica 2 islands south of us is totaled with 3 dead so far from what im hearing, very sad news.

My new thermostat and sensor got here but at the same time we took out the radiator to have it pressure tested and the gas tank and injectors had to come out again because there is more rust in the filter again. So am having it sand blasted and inner coated. I just learned yhat you have to get it inner coated, never knew that before. Hopefully with the new thermostat, sensor, radiator tested (hope its good) and the new knowledge of bleeding, it will be all good.

The front end. Lance, thanks for the link for the rod ends, awesome. Now I need the sizes of all of them steering column included. I been looking at some cudas on youtube and saw some single pole (no joint from steering wheel to rack) steering columns that look really thick and solid. Looks like it had a different rack set as well. Not that I am rejecting your build but I like to see those better as it looks to be more solid, giving a more accurate feel on the steering wheel. I really bought this buggy to go racing on a local rally track so I need it to be on point. I will change the rod ends that need changing, the steering column support mounts as well and rack and see how it feels wit this setup first before I think about changing the steering system. I don't even know what brand it is or where to start looking for these things but hopefully somebody on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the read guys sorry for boring you guys with my stress of having this thing for like a month now and not being able to enjoy it lol. Not even sure exactly when I got it, loosing track of days with all this hurricane crap going on.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 05:10:22 AM »
Glad to hear ya dodged and bullet with these storms.  All these islands been dealing with storms forever, and some of the most resilient people on the planet.  They will build it back again, better and even more beautiful.

Most steering column are 3/4", but Lance will have to chime in on which rack.  As they do have diff splines on some.  Guessing it has some play when turning.  Sucks car wasn't maintained better, but best to tackle these little bits at home rather than ruining a day of fun. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:57 AM »
Time for a rack snuggy?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »
glad you survived the hurricanes unharmed!

is your fuel tank steel??
well didn't see a meant ion of it but if your fan is coming on period and at correct temp then if this issue persists then i would look at either a higher cfm fan or larger radiator. is the radiator a 2 pass??

from what you described.....i'm betting this rail sat out side un covered while the previous owner had it.

Toufs

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 01:07:58 PM »
Glad to hear ya dodged and bullet with these storms.  All these islands been dealing with storms forever, and some of the most resilient people on the planet.  They will build it back again, better and even more beautiful.

Most steering column are 3/4", but Lance will have to chime in on which rack.  As they do have diff splines on some.  Guessing it has some play when turning.  Sucks car wasn't maintained better, but best to tackle these little bits at home rather than ruining a day of fun.
There is about half inch play on the steering wheel left to right and when the steering is moved side to side and up and down there is also about half inch play of rocking. I have found it to be the steering column support (rod ends) and the rack. So the steering feels like a bowl of jello right now

Toufs

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
Time for a rack snuggy?
Hey dude sorry but I'm not sure whet that is. Here to learn buddy lol.

Toufs

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
glad you survived the hurricanes unharmed!

is your fuel tank steel??
well didn't see a meant ion of it but if your fan is coming on period and at correct temp then if this issue persists then i would look at either a higher cfm fan or larger radiator. is the radiator a 2 pass??

from what you described.....i'm betting this rail sat out side un covered while the previous owner had it.
Not sure what the tank is, if its steel or what. This is why I love having access to Lance through this site lol. The fan is working well and we even checked to see if it is blowing in the right direction and its all good. Lance told me he ran it all the time out in the desert where it was over 100 degrees and never had an overheating problem. Here in Antigua its always between 80 to 95 and plus we got that ocean breeze coming through all the time so I don't see why the radiator and fan in there wouldn't be good enough. At this point I'm hoping now the new sensor is in that will solve the problem. I got the radiator tested today and its fine.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
Not sure what the tank is, if its steel or what. This is why I love having access to Lance through this site lol. The fan is working well and we even checked to see if it is blowing in the right direction and its all good. Lance told me he ran it all the time out in the desert where it was over 100 degrees and never had an overheating problem. Here in Antigua its always between 80 to 95 and plus we got that ocean breeze coming through all the time so I don't see why the radiator and fan in there wouldn't be good enough. At this point I'm hoping now the new sensor is in that will solve the problem. I got the radiator tested today and its fine.

well must just be a sensor or air bubble then. on the bikes there is a fan turn on switch in the radiator usually. i was just wondering if you verified the fan was indeed turning on when the coolant was at temp. not sure how lance wired it or set it up. i do know lance and he is a stand up guy ( very nice work) but again not sure how it was wired. you do know it turns on and is spinning the right direction so that's good.

as far as rack snuggy goes...here you go

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=2746.0

Toufs

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
well must just be a sensor or air bubble then. on the bikes there is a fan turn on switch in the radiator usually. i was just wondering if you verified the fan was indeed turning on when the coolant was at temp. not sure how lance wired it or set it up. i do know lance and he is a stand up guy ( very nice work) but again not sure how it was wired. you do know it turns on and is spinning the right direction so that's good.

as far as rack snuggy goes...here you go

http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=2746.0
The fan is wired to be auto and on a switch as well. I'm thinking you probably know the steering setup on my buggy as I'm sure you followed the Lance build on my machine. Do you know if that rack would be fitting to my steering system? I like how they look but what exactly is it for? to stop play? and if so, is play a normal thing in buggy steering wheels?

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
Okay,  I have some catching up to do.  Can't post or respond anymore at work.  Big brother has decided that DTS is a email server and blocked it.  Rotten bastards!!!!!!

The gas tank is steel.  It must have sat outside thru many rainstorms to have rusted that much.  There used to be an inline filter underneath it?  Regardless blasting it will solve the problem.

Yes the fan was wired for the factory Busa temp switch as well as a manual switch to turn it on from the dash.

First thing I would check on that steering column is the where the rod end is mounted into the frame for support.  It came loose before so it might have come loose again.  It's kinda hard to imagine the rod end going bad when there almost zero load on it.  It is only one of the cheepo ones just for that reason though.  Below I attached what I have for records of what I bought to build it 8 years ago.  I'm SURE they cost more now.

Drill a 1/8" hole in the thermostat before you put it in.

Rack snuggy won't fit this steering box.  So that won't help.  The steering box is a latest rage Chinese unit.  Fairly inexpensive.  They're small and they fit.  CHECK THE STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING ROD END!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »
The fan is wired to be auto and on a switch as well. I'm thinking you probably know the steering setup on my buggy as I'm sure you followed the Lance build on my machine. Do you know if that rack would be fitting to my steering system? I like how they look but what exactly is it for? to stop play? and if so, is play a normal thing in buggy steering wheels?

check out what lance said as he knows that rail far better than i but yes lol i do know the build. honestly i cannot say which rack he used on the rail as i never paid attention. i use the heavy duty endload racks on my front end kits. i was thinking lance and doug used a mod'd version of something else but sounds like lance might have used something diff.  you may still need a higher cfm fan but you won't know till you get it all back together. yes he did run it in the desert in 100* temps but no humidity there. well i assume, never been down there but it's plenty humid here and i have never been able to run the smaller radiators like others do or i run way to hot in a couple miles on dirt even. that's the only reason i suggested a larger radiator. it did work for lance and i assume the previous owner too but who knows if he left it outside and neglected it????

Toufs

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »
Okay,  I have some catching up to do.  Can't post or respond anymore at work.  Big brother has decided that DTS is a email server and blocked it.  Rotten bastards!!!!!!

The gas tank is steel.  It must have sat outside thru many rainstorms to have rusted that much.  There used to be an inline filter underneath it?  Regardless blasting it will solve the problem.

Yes the fan was wired for the factory Busa temp switch as well as a manual switch to turn it on from the dash.

First thing I would check on that steering column is the where the rod end is mounted into the frame for support.  It came loose before so it might have come loose again.  It's kinda hard to imagine the rod end going bad when there almost zero load on it.  It is only one of the cheepo ones just for that reason though.  Below I attached what I have for records of what I bought to build it 8 years ago.  I'm SURE they cost more now.

Drill a 1/8" hole in the thermostat before you put it in.

Rack snuggy won't fit this steering box.  So that won't help.  The steering box is a latest rage Chinese unit.  Fairly inexpensive.  They're small and they fit.  CHECK THE STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING ROD END!
Hey there Lance thanks for the parts list, its a lot more stuff than I expected lol. Is the first list for the front and the second for the back or is it all front? I checked the steering column support and both are tight. The side to side and up and down rocking on the steering wheel is coming from the steering column rocking inside the rod ends steering support. The left to right rocking when turning, is coming from the steering box/rack. Not the most versatile computer person but I will take a video and try to put it up on here so you guys can see exactly what I'm talking about. So it appears that I will just need to buy those 2 rod ends (steering column support) and a rack set.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal