Author Topic: interesting read on trailer tires  (Read 3341 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
interesting read on trailer tires
« on: July 08, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
found this link posted in rv forum. interesting info for whoever and an sub link in the article that is also interesting to read.

http://fifthwheelst.com/step5.html
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: interesting read on trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:19:28 PM »
Nice read! I guess my gut engineering/scientist/investigator instincts to always air up to max on trailer tires was right all along. Who'd a thunk.................

I always laughed at people thinking the aired up tire was causing trailer tire failure due to bumps in the road "hitting the tire and causing belt failure". Hogwash. ALWAYS air up to max on tire sidewall!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »
Hard tire's are not the problem.  HEAT is the problem.  Flexing side wall's on a tire = heat.  that's the big killer.  Even a tire that is properly inflated will over heat when it is over loaded. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:33:59 PM »
Little off subject.
Where can I find trailer(3,500 Lb) axle kits?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:32:14 PM »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 08:40:59 AM »
Nice read! I guess my gut engineering/scientist/investigator instincts to always air up to max on trailer tires was right all along. Who'd a thunk.................

I always laughed at people thinking the aired up tire was causing trailer tire failure due to bumps in the road "hitting the tire and causing belt failure". Hogwash. ALWAYS air up to max on tire sidewall!

those people are always good for a laugh lol lol and yes your instincts are/were correct and fast yes heat kills tires. they do have speed ratings but i believe those speed ratings are based on max load so imo if one were to use a tire 20 to 30% over rated for your load you will be good at the higher speeds. but i have a feeling fast that you won't be doing 78mph in that new th'er lol that is one heavy huge th'er! nice though but prob better suited for a class 6 or class 8 lol
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal