Author Topic: subaru six cylinder  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Baloo

subaru six cylinder
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:58:57 AM »
yummi, fastcorvairs or anyone who knows their scoobies,  l have been looking at the H6 engine powered cars on ebay they are very cheap probably due to the very high tax we have to pay on cars over 2.5 lt ,  what the story with the engine over there ? is it any good l dont see many used in buggies ?  l was looking at the turbo l bought and thinking what a snakes nest of pipes and wiring maybe the 3lt na would be a better bet, less plumbing and maybe more instant grunt from tickover  what your views on them ??

Andy

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: subaru six cylinder
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
yummi, fastcorvairs or anyone who knows their scoobies,  l have been looking at the H6 engine powered cars on ebay they are very cheap probably due to the very high tax we have to pay on cars over 2.5 lt ,  what the story with the engine over there ? is it any good l dont see many used in buggies ?  l was looking at the turbo l bought and thinking what a snakes nest of pipes and wiring maybe the 3lt na would be a better bet, less plumbing and maybe more instant grunt from tickover  what your views on them ??

Andy

Not allot of them used in buggy's over here Baloo because people are scrweed of them.  Nice engines.  bullet prof if you don't turbo them.  Put a turbo on them and you need to do a lot of work to them. Head gaskets studs pistons and such. If-en you run more then about eight pounds of boost.  Keep the boost down under that ant wow.  Now with that said your not going to be running them wide open 7000  RPM in the dunes like we would over here.  So yes they have a lot more bottom end then the four banger.  Grunt as you would call it.  would make one hell of a rock crawler boondocker type buggy motor.  I would say go for it.  John at OutFront uses one that is getting about 800 to 900 HP.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »
Hey Yummi I just noticed.  Where's my little green car?

Never mind there it is. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
hi

6 pot sounds ok to me but l havent quite got a handle on how much they are worth,

l am following this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170768022180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

will have a punt on it if it dosent get  to dear

if it does this one might be an option  also  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250976721123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

l have already acquired this twin turbo legacy but are having second thoughts when l looked at the complexity of the wiring and vacuum  hoses   :o   might have to sell this one on or park it in the barn for a future upgrade

the 2.5 na above with the rear damage sort of makes sense as it low miles and less complex
 and should give me less grief installing it,  got some mods to do to the gearbox also as the rear output is driven through a set of clutches that is hydraulicily varied  to split the torque front to rear, as l am only using the rear out put l dont want these l need 100% of the drive all the time,  l have a spare box in bits on the bench to see what makes it tick

these are the clutch plates in the back of the gearbox

there are teeth on the inside and out side of alternate discs which rub together and transmit the drive

l am thinking of lazer cutting new discs that have the teeth both on the inner and outer of each disc thereby giving direct drive,  do you think that will work ok ??

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
No reason I can see why it won't work.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal