Author Topic: tube bender  (Read 26615 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: tube bender
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »
Nice work Baloo

Now all we need is a video of it in operation.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
Nice work Baloo

Now all we need is a video of it in operation.

yes, will do one in the next few days

fast have you got a scoobie powered buggy ?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
yes, will do one in the next few days

fast have you got a scoobie powered buggy ?

Yep.  I like my scoobie.  A very well built motor.  Mine is mid with the mindy out back.  They are not real torqueie so you need to keep them in the upper pipes to get the power. Not as much as a bike motor but still some.  But they are built for it. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2012, 09:56:22 AM »
cool thats what l want, got any pics of the motor install ?, l am interested in how much gearbox hangs out the back end,
whats a mindy  a type of gearbox ?, l am thinking of using  the scoobie  autobox

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
Mindi is indeed the gearbox. Named Mendeola

Called Spendeola by many cause they can cost a fortune.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
Yep.  I like my scoobie.  A very well built motor.  Mine is mid with the mindy out back.  They are not real torqueie so you need to keep them in the upper pipes to get the power. Not as much as a bike motor but still some.  But they are built for it.

what ratio diff and what diameter tyres are you running ?
l had a go in forester and it pulled from 1500 to red line in 4th no problem at all which made me think it was torquey
but perhaps not then

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
what ratio diff and what diameter tyres are you running ?
l had a go in forester and it pulled from 1500 to red line in 4th no problem at all which made me think it was torquey
but perhaps not then

Baloo
I am running a 5:14 ring gear 10.5 Dia with a finial drive of 14.9 first 10.7 second 8.6 third and 6.7 fourth.  Our sand car's are a full 360 degrees from what you guys are building over the pond.  Our cars would not hold up to what you put yours through.  A sand car is just that built to run on the smooth sand at hi speeds. To answer your ? there is about a foot and half that hangs out back of the axles. 

Offline Baloo

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2012, 12:52:09 AM »
well it sure looks a strong box with all those ribs on it,  must be nice to run in sand looks very clean, we have to spend 2 hours with a jet wash getting all the mud off when we have finished playing, l bet that sand eats bearing though if it can get in anywhere ?
looks like that engine and box is solid mounted into the frame is that common practice?

Andy

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Baloo

Some people use Nylon or Urethane bushings but most just solid mount there engine's and trans to the frame. Get a little more vibration but quick and clean.  As for the sand getting into bearings. Not so much.  With today seals and with Outerwears covers for aircleaners and such it really not to much of a problem. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:08:28 AM by fastcorvairs »

Offline Baloo

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
l am still impressed with how clean that gearbox in the pic above is, sunny and sandy sound mighty appealing to how the weather here is now  :'(

h'mm solid mounted engine and box, could use that as part of the frame and do away with a few tubes  ???

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2012, 11:32:35 AM »
LOL Yes Baloo the sand is def a clean mans dream. If you have an open trailer nearly all the sand that is in a machine will blow out on the trip home!

What does not can be cleaned with an airhose in minutes usually.

Grease and oil leaks make the stuff stick but are tell tales of maintenance needed HERE! lol

Some guys at the dunes will spend ten thousand (and some much more) JUST on pretty!

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »

h'mm  not much chance of the mud blowing off on the way home the jet wash struggles to move it,

how long can one stay in the usa on holiday at glamis before l get booted back out ?

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »
h'mm  not much chance of the mud blowing off on the way home the jet wash struggles to move it,

how long can one stay in the usa on holiday at glamis before l get booted back out ?

If I look at our current immigration problem I would say 50 plus years? Plus benefits of course.....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2012, 01:53:04 PM »

2 weeks,I think, in the same spot. Move somewhere else and do it again.......................................
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Baloo

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
wonder if they would give me a job as a sand ranger with a sand rail as a company car lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal