Author Topic: H-arm vs Trailing arm  (Read 9608 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Re: H-arm vs Trailing arm
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:15 PM »
And nearly no extra weight.Deduct the heim weight and I think it's a winning combination.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
I'd rather have a solid connection like a 4wd front snout. It's piloted in the hub plate and once set it'll take a shitload of abuse without failure.6 3/8ths bolts and it might as well be welded in place.

can you pm me a link to a pic of something like you are referring to?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »
And nearly no extra weight.Deduct the heim weight and I think it's a winning combination.

no extra, weight, chatter, lubrication or expense.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
I don't have a thing but what's in my head. I've had chevy 70-80's 1/2  and 3/4 ton 4WD fronts apart a million times. The snouts(spindles)  for the wheel bearings to ride on are bolted to the front end housing.Like 2" hollow snouts  that trophy trucks use.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
no extra, weight, chatter, lubrication or expense.
You got that right! ;) ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
I don't have a thing but what's in my head. I've had chevy 70-80's 1/2  and 3/4 ton 4WD fronts apart a million times. The snouts(spindles)  for the wheel bearings to ride on are bolted to the front end housing.Like 2" hollow snouts  that trophy trucks use.

I follow you but am still going to have to see a pic to know for sure. I am not real familiar with those front ends.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 09:09:50 PM »
I should have said the snouts bolt to the knuckle.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
I should have said the snouts bolt to the knuckle.

I can picture that, but I think it might still be easier to use 4 heims at the wheel side. either way will work but if you go the other route I would like to see some pics.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 09:39:18 PM »
BBQ buggy had rear knuckles with mounts similar to your lower  h-arms. Hated it. Gonna try it this way I think this time. 
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »

gotta and that is what I was reffering to. I do like the idea on the bottom and I think two pivot points on the top would be fine but still have to have the gusseted tabs on the top.

what do you think of a lower h-arm with a third member welded to it half way up the arm or so rather than at the wheel to clear the frame?

yes I too like paint, it is quicker than opening my solid works program.
something like this looks good to me, what do you think?

Good ideas!  I like the frame end of the arms being as wide as possible.  It will reduce the hit on the mounts.  3 mounts really won't help.  It will only provide potential bind.  The two end mounts will still take all the stress.

On the outer end why use 4 mount points?  Another point for potential bind.   I would select the top or bottom arm to be the dominant arm, then beef it up, and use two mounting points on it and 1 on the other arm.

Bushings are great on the frame side mounts.  If you want to use them at the outer mount, you could have a shaft that runs front to rear, and holds both bushings in the carrier.  bolt the shaft to the end of the A-arm at each end.  This would be your shim point for toe change.  If you used a single heim on top, you could use it for camber adjustment.  Just a thought.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 06:34:09 PM »
Good ideas!  I like the frame end of the arms being as wide as possible.  It will reduce the hit on the mounts.  3 mounts really won't help.  It will only provide potential bind.  The two end mounts will still take all the stress.

On the outer end why use 4 mount points?  Another point for potential bind.   I would select the top or bottom arm to be the dominant arm, then beef it up, and use two mounting points on it and 1 on the other arm.

Bushings are great on the frame side mounts.  If you want to use them at the outer mount, you could have a shaft that runs front to rear, and holds both bushings in the carrier.  bolt the shaft to the end of the A-arm at each end.  This would be your shim point for toe change.  If you used a single heim on top, you could use it for camber adjustment.  Just a thought.

Except for side hits.I still like the third link for that reason regardless of the small potential for bind.
I understand your thinking but again as before I like the rigidity of the 4 mounts locations .
I think you'll run into clearance issues like that.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal