Author Topic: Bumpsteer ??  (Read 9858 times)

Admin

Re: Bumpsteer ??
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »
you better get the video camera out and show us... ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
Believe it or not no bumpsteer on the very first shot. Unless the bottom of the tire is 4 inches higher than the bottom of the frame. In which case my shocks won't let the sespension travel that far anyway.
Better buy a lotto ticket.NOW!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »
How much travel are you cycling? You are going to see at least a little with a-arms. Could you post a pic of the level to the front of the car with it at full compression and full droop
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

405dentech

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 01:24:05 AM »
Man you guys are harsh and have no faith. ;D. I'll post a video or pics later today after i put the front end back together. The ends on the rack didn't move until the bottom of the tire was 4 inches higher than the bottom of the frame. AWESOME!!

405dentech

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 01:24:54 AM »
i LOVE those things ;D ;D ;D ;D

VLADD

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 02:14:31 AM »
 jj: jj: mm: jj:

Admin

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 05:39:02 AM »
Man you guys are harsh and have no faith. ;D. I'll post a video or pics later today after i put the front end back together. The ends on the rack didn't move until the bottom of the tire was 4 inches higher than the bottom of the frame. AWESOME!!

the ends of the rack should never move, were looking for tire movement, without the rack moving, that is bumpsteer... Or basicly as the car suspension moves "Bump" the tires turn "Steer" without the steering wheel turning!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 07:39:49 AM »
Yes the rack must be locked at it's straight ahead position to prevent any movement to check bumpsteer.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:41:35 AM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »
Not harsh just honest. Trying to help you learn from our mistakes. Did you measure wheel to wheel like I said at top and bottom of your travel?
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »
And all points between.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

405dentech

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »
Apparently I'm going to have to put it back together and do quite a bit more testing. So what you guys are saying is that when the suspension cycles the steering wheel should move? ??? Now I AM lost.

405dentech

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 08:47:18 AM »
Not harsh just honest. Trying to help you learn from our mistakes. Did you measure wheel to wheel like I said at top and bottom of your travel?
What am I supposed to measure? I hate doing suspension work!

405dentech

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
I thought that if the steering wheel didn't move when i cycled the suspension up and down then it was good to go? As i said earlier now am i really lost.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »
Front end different view.

just a question,  in the pic from the first page , is the chassis level front to back?  how much caster do you have? 
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 09:21:38 AM »
 after all is bolted on and the front end is aligned. you might try it this way, first pull the rubber boots off your rack, second get a couple of welding clamps or quick clamps and center the rack in it's housing and clamp it there. Now you can get a couple of tall jack stands or if you have a couple of small block and tackles     ( you could screw them to the ceiling ) pick up each wheel , from bottom to top of stroke and measure the amount of toe in or toe out the wheels produce. you can take a tape measure and measure from the center of the wheel to the center of the other wheel on the front side and then again on the back. you want the two measurement to remain equal in length but as your wheels stroke the distance between the wheels will grow but you are only looking to see if the measurements at the front and rear side of the wheels change for example- if you measure the front and it reads 67.5" and the back measurement reads 69" then you have .75" ( 3/4") toe in. you want equal numbers but a small amount of toe in is ok, toe out is not ok.  hope this helps.

when I do this I actually like to stroke the wheel 2" at a time, to see how it moves and when.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:23:14 AM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal