Author Topic: Bumpsteer ??  (Read 9863 times)

405dentech

Bumpsteer ??
« on: November 01, 2008, 08:58:48 AM »
Alright finally figured out to post pics on here so I can show you guys what I'm working with. Keep in mind all the steering stuff is just tacked on. My question is what and how do i check for bumpsteer?

Admin

Re: Bumpsteer ??
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:03:44 AM »
take the shocks off, will be easier, hold the rack solid so that it does not move, cycle the wheel up and down and see if it turns in or out as it goes thru the travel, if it does, that is bumpsteer...

405dentech

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
That's what i thought just wasn't sure. Already tried it once with the shocks on with a floor jack and that was a pain in the ass. I will be working on this thing all weekend to try and get the front end done.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 09:11:11 AM »
If you don't have a friend to help watch you can compress the suspension and measure wheel to wheel and do the same at full droop. I don't like measuring to the tires, not a rigid surface like a wheel. If there is change then you have bump steer. Might be an optical illusion but it looks like your tie rods are not perfectly parallel to your arms, could just be pic angle.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Admin

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
please take a picture of the front end from a straight down shot, so we can see the angle off the tie rods to the rack and to the wheel...

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 09:12:55 AM »
They dont have to be parallel. It is whatever works..

Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
the ends of the rack are also adjustable...You got my phone number if you really get flustered give me a call...

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
do you have another pic with the spindles and tires?  the front end looks good.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

405dentech

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
If you don't have a friend to help watch you can compress the suspension and measure wheel to wheel and do the same at full droop. I don't like measuring to the tires, not a rigid surface like a wheel. If there is change then you have bump steer. Might be an optical illusion but it looks like your tie rods are not perfectly parallel to your arms, could just be pic angle.
The heims at the end of the tie rods are just zip tied to the spindle in that pic. Didn't have any bolts.

405dentech

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »
Front end different view.

405dentech

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
I will try and get a few more pics in a little while. I think the spindles may need braced better where the tie rod bolts on. but you guys tell me.

405dentech

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:27:30 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »
 if you have not already, I would suggest aligning the front end before checking for bumpsteer, ie, caster, camber and toe.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
Very important and kee
if you have not already, I would suggest aligning the front end before checking for bumpsteer, ie, caster, camber and toe.
very important and keep track of ride height toe in at the same time.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

405dentech

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 12:44:57 PM »
Believe it or not no bumpsteer on the very first shot. Unless the bottom of the tire is 4 inches higher than the bottom of the frame. In which case my shocks won't let the sespension travel that far anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal