Author Topic: Air Shocks  (Read 3620 times)

Admin

Air Shocks
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »
Here is a excellent video of a air shock in action....

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Air Shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »
not a bad video if you turn the sound off.  I think the real trick to the fox air shock is to keep is cool. I still prefer them over a coilover but this is just opinion. I am currently running a pair of coil assist fox air shocks on my v-6 rail, I think I might trade them out for 2.5' if possible.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
Yes the sound is horrible, The camera he is using is the same cam i have, the first vid i took the sound was ok, but not good, then it quit doing sound all together...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 11:35:44 PM »
OK, people that have used both give us the pros and cons.  My only experience is on 4 wheelers, and the air shocks were very harsh.  (Marvin Shaws)

How do coil overs differ on damping? Do they fade less?

What is the process of changing damping on each?  Are any air shocks externally adjustable?

Is there some reason that I can't play the embedded Youtube videos?  Running Mozilla.  do they start automatically?  I have clicked everywhere but no dice.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:37:59 PM by Engineer »

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
From the literature that came with my fox shocks I gather the springs do more in the way of supporting the weight. The damping would be mostly controlled by the pressures in the shock plus the amount of oil. It also stated that there should be at least 250 psi in the shock for it to operate correctly. I currently am running only 200 psi in my rear coil overs. I tried 250 and it was too much. I am going to change out my springs and see what happens. May take them out to dsrace's tommorrow to play.

Current buggy 3.1 chevy v6 rear engine. Rear springs 400/325
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:50:18 PM »
in a coil over shock, the n2 pressure effects the dampening, most will or recommend that 200 psi be used, so they should work well in that range, there are other alternatives as well. change the rates, weight of oil etc, in a coil over shock they generally have a predetermined amount of oil, that does not make for tune ability...

Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »
OK, people that have used both give us the pros and cons.  My only experience is on 4 wheelers, and the air shocks were very harsh.  (Marvin Shaws)

How do coil overs differ on damping? Do they fade less?

What is the process of changing damping on each?  Are any air shocks externally adjustable?

Is there some reason that I can't play the embedded Youtube videos?  Running Mozilla.  do they start automatically?  I have clicked everywhere but no dice.

Thanks

Marvin shaws suck, probbaly your biggest problem...

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »

Admin

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 06:04:26 AM »
this is true with a standard coil over but dunebounds are  fox coil assist air shocks. still a 2.0 air in the core just with a threaded body for coils, you can still add pressure and oil. with out the price of the coils themselves, the shocks are basically the same price as a 2.5 air.  I think I might try a set of these on the rear of my rail.

Ah, big difference in the 2 then... ;D

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 07:29:23 AM »
Let not forget to mention that my shocks use 2 coils per shock of two different spring rats. On my shock I have the softer sping on top and the stiffer on the bottom. As the soft upper spring compresses the slider between the two spings its a stop colar which stops compressing the soft sping and now compresses only the stiffer lower spring. You do feel this change in some situations. I know I have felt it on my car when the collar was set to low. I am wanting to change my rear spings out to softer ones. I currnetly can let the pressure out of my shocks and the car only settles down about 3 inchs. I think the coil over fox like I have are incredibly tuneable. You have presure, oil, stop colar, and 2 springs rates. In my opinon you would have to buy a bypass shock to get the tunability of these. Don't get me wrong it takes a lot of trail and error for terrain and driving style.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Admin

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 06:06:49 PM »
Let not forget to mention that my shocks use 2 coils per shock of two different spring rats. On my shock I have the softer sping on top and the stiffer on the bottom. As the soft upper spring compresses the slider between the two spings its a stop colar which stops compressing the soft sping and now compresses only the stiffer lower spring. You do feel this change in some situations. I know I have felt it on my car when the collar was set to low. I am wanting to change my rear spings out to softer ones. I currnetly can let the pressure out of my shocks and the car only settles down about 3 inchs. I think the coil over fox like I have are incredibly tuneable. You have presure, oil, stop colar, and 2 springs rates. In my opinon you would have to buy a bypass shock to get the tunability of these. Don't get me wrong it takes a lot of trail and error for terrain and driving style.

cross over collars, they make for having to soft of shocks tuneable. the idea of two springs rates is to have the top soft and cushy, then when it calls for you got the heavy one at the bottom..

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
I don't agree.Crossover collars make for a nice soft ride till you really need the higher spring rate  such as when jumping or big whoops.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:43:52 PM »
thats what i mean fabber, my car is a bit under springed, i added the collars and it was like adding a whole new tuning ability...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »
You added a collar and changed to dual springs?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal