Author Topic: Is this worth the it for the money?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Wyattboche

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Is this worth the it for the money?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
Depends on what you desire. But for me-nope.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
NOT TO ME!  :P

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/rvs/1726626475.html

All depends on what you want. Do you want a sand buggy or do you want a MC car that can run small narrow trails and sand.  You can't build that car for $3500 it would take you more money then that to do so. Look at it as a good base to start with and then as time go's by you can redo it to what you really want.  A little work and $$$$$$ you could add the long travel front end like DS's car and some 3x3 rear trailing arms than work from there.  It would take more then the asking price to build a good strong 2180CC or 2332CC VW motor.  That said do what feels right for you. Every one has to start some where.  In 1970 That would have been my dream buggy.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »
I just went through the experience - first set a budget.  Then we can discuss what is / are reasonable expectations.  Else, define expectations then we can set the budget. 

If the goal is get out and run for less than the cost of a quad, then this car might be a good starting point.

Do NOT plan on making a square peg a round hole.  Buy it, use it, sell it and look for the next one after you are done saving up to take the step to the next level.  A lot of money gets dumped chasing a car to be what you want it to be.  Having said that, some folks really enjoy that experience as much as the drive itself.   For this one though, the upgrades, etc would be an absolute killer cost wise.  Plan on keeping it what it is.   
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

Hypnotic

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
fast is right!  so is yummi.  you could look at it as a base point. I charge $3500 to install my front end kits, that does not include shocks and wheels. for the amount of time it takes me to graft one on I could have built a hole new chassis with that front end already on it!

but for those that can't spend that kind of money up front these kits are the way to go. I have seen a few other companies that sell a conversion kit similar to mine for $3500 just for the kit! you will probably have that much in a 3x3 rear end as well. with the axles, 930 high angle cv's as well as 930 stubs, hubs and brake kit!     

then you get to the shocks, even on the cheap side with fox 2.5's in the rear and 2.0's in the front you'll have $1200 - $1500 there plus wheels, of course if you spread that out over a couple of years it will make a fun project too! 

the good parts aren't cheap and the cheap parts aren't good so in the end you will spend more money on the cheap parts than if you'd bought the good ones up front. I see people make this mistake all the time.

of course you do need to ask around as too who the better companies are, as far as quality product and customer service!  you don't want to buy an incomplete roller just to find out next year the parts you need to complete it are no longer in production and the jigs and prints are gone! or buy from some place like prowlers speed and custom  where if you not driving it like there is an egg under the throttle it will all fail!!!!!

just some food for thought.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
fast is right!  so is yummi.  you could look at it as a base point. I charge $3500 to install my front end kits, that does not include shocks and wheels. for the amount of time it takes me to graft one on I could have built a hole new chassis with that front end already on it!

but for those that can't spend that kind of money up front these kits are the way to go. I have seen a few other companies that sell a conversion kit similar to mine for $3500 just for the kit! you will probably have that much in a 3x3 rear end as well. with the axles, 930 high angle cv's as well as 930 stubs, hubs and brake kit!     

then you get to the shocks, even on the cheap side with fox 2.5's in the rear and 2.0's in the front you'll have $1200 - $1500 there plus wheels, of course if you spread that out over a couple of years it will make a fun project too! 

the good parts aren't cheap and the cheap parts aren't good so in the end you will spend more money on the cheap parts than if you'd bought the good ones up front. I see people make this mistake all the time.

of course you do need to ask around as too who the better companies are, as far as quality product and customer service!  you don't want to buy an incomplete roller just to find out next year the parts you need to complete it are no longer in production and the jigs and prints are gone! or buy from some place like prowlers speed and custom  where if you not driving it like there is an egg under the throttle it will all fail!!!!!

just some food for thought.
I know a member here and "the other place" that no longer has any interest in the buggy sport due to just that. He and a partner bought 2 supposedly complete rollers from a rather well known "builder" that were not complete when delivered. Kept getting promises and put off .Finally was told "I've changed my design and those parts are no longer available". What  bs1 that is! The fooker should be tarred and feathered.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trans man

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »
I know a member here and "the other place" that no longer has any interest in the buggy sport due to just that. He and a partner bought 2 supposedly complete rollers from a rather well known "builder" that were not complete when delivered. Kept getting promises and put off .Finally was told "I've changed my design and those parts are no longer available". What  bs1 that is! The fooker should be tarred and feathered.
And had his nuts blown off by a 12 gauge shotgun!!! That's total  bs1 bs1 bs1 bs1 bs1 kick  nono nono kick
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:45:23 PM by trans man »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
Well I'd like monetary compensation but as this builder has said many times-paraphrased-"Ya can't get blood out of a turnip" . I guess he's got a point.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:58 PM »
Found this on the graigslist. ???
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/1732144250.html
So I called this guy today and he wants to sell everything together. There is another guy that called intrested in the motor. If the motor sells what is the steel parts worth?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal