Author Topic: I am thinking of using this as a platform...  (Read 12993 times)

boltz2012

Re: I am thinking of using this as a platform...
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »
ok heres what i had to settle for. I got 1.375x110. Thats the closest they had to what i needed. They had the one inch. Only problem and this efin occured to me after im on my way home with the tubing is that i dont have a 1.375 die for my bender. So now what? Can i grin that sucker down to work? Or am i stuck with an impossible tubing size. And DOM was out of the question. So the car got shot about 15 times with the shotgun for that one. Let me clarify...i have an old honda out back that i gave 300 bucks for and i use it as stress releaf. Needless to say theres not much left of that sucker.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2008, 02:45:09 PM »
I'm going to suggest you take a step back and take a deep breath. First is the tube 1 3/8ths OD?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »
Yep...1 3/8 OD

boltz2012

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »
I took a deep breath...bout ten acctually. Where the hell do you guys live?...In "I build buggies land?" Cuz i cant find half the stuff you guys talk about. And i checked on laser cutting and they told me it was a minimum of 1500 bux to tool up, or i had to have atleast 150 of the same thing cut out. WTF...thats ok though cuz ill go through the place you and bug always talk about when you talk about laser cutting and i think they will take care of me. Im cool man...Just been a long day already and i dont want to get the wrong stuff...all in all im just blowing steam. Ill use what i got and make it work. ..So dont think im over here boiling over at the brim. Im ok really.

boltz2012

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
Ok the tube almost fits in the die perfectly so im gonna take a lil bit off of it to make it work. Ill post some pics in a minute.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
What kind of tube is it?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
hot roll...i think. Its got a hair line seem but barely noticable. Im gonna roll with it. Whats the worst that can happen? If its to heavy for my 600 to push around ill put a honda 4 cylender on it...then turbo the honda motor. bet i get around then... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:48:34 PM by boltz2012 »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »
You're starting to worry me. :k
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

boltz2012

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2008, 04:23:43 PM »
Its all good. Took a little bit off the die and tubing fits perfect. Fixxing to go get to bending. Ill keep you posted. And dont worry about me, Ill make it work somehow. Thanx for the insperation. And you cant tell me a 400 hrs buggy dont sound cool? ;D ;D ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
Post up a few pics of the first bend.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 05:07:44 PM »
Post a pic of the tubing as well....its probbaly erw tube...

boltz2012

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
I dont think it bent to bad. Wasnt as perfect as i hoped for but for my first swing at it i think it will work. got done with the side and i am fixing to put them together and brace them up. Here is some pics.

boltz2012

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 04:55:09 AM »
OK got some more done. Ill tell you this much. (A) I'm not a master at this stuff. (B) I tend to have this delusion that i know what I'm doing. (C) This has to be the hardest set of directions for anything on the face of the planet. They are very vague. Allen Miller is a cool cat and a blast to shoot the shit with, But not so good at transferring his thoughts to paper. Ive noticed a major design flaw. The nose of this thing is really narrow and its very long. Ive read and reread the plans 1000 times and i did it just like it said. So ill modify that with ease and make it like i want it. Its just not tunring out to be the frame in the picture. Very similar just longer and more narrow on the front. I know its not something i did as everything else is lining up ok. Maybe he changed the plans and i got a revised version. In any case its all good. Made good progress tonight until my notcher took what i thought was a shit on me. Which lead me to believe after inspection it was my drill press. Which upon further inspection seemed to be the belt. Which actually turned out to be the set screws on the pulley. An allen wrench and 5 seconds and we were back up and ripping tubing to hell. :u Cuz it doesn't cut it chews its way through. Kinda crude...but cool and it works. Oh and i know what your thinking...wait till i get further along to mod the front end...i will, so i don't short myself any. Also ill add that the video of the idiots on the first page of this thread are complete morons. 5: It works alright. But they regret to tell you that it takes about 40 minutes to fill 1 ten foot piece of tubing with sand end about that long to get that crap out. Cool thing about it is now i have a beach in my front yard. If i keep this up i wont have to leave the front yard to go to the dunes. Don't worry, Ill invite all of you to the dunes to play in my sandbox. I ain't stengy... ;D  I now need a better bender for sure cuz I'm a fat ass dude and i am not liking this sand crap. Ill play in it when this thing is done. Ill tell you now that i crushed a bend. :'( What a waste of money. But i think I'm gonna use it anyways cuz its not that bad and it will be covered with skin, And also its not in a vital place. All in all i dint think it was a bad night. Tomarrow night ill get the rest of the bracing done up and the rest of the cage. Ill be in touch with you soon bug to get a rack and some hiems. Also to get some tabs from desertkarts. This weekend I'm gonna pull the tranny outta my old Honda out back and start looking for the keyed shaft to weld to the splined center off the clutch. Then get the pillow blocks and start building that part of the frame. Ill mount the motor first so i know how much room i need for the tranny. But ill tell you something. I think arrowhead was mistaken about the chain not overheating. If you read his thread again he tells someone he is gonna put a bilge fan on his chain. IDK. I sent him a message inquiring about it and no reply. I think i will get lucky though as i can mount my motor right at the back of the seats and ill have about 2 feet to the tranny... I think. If so then i will be out of the short chain delima right? Ok well headed to bed. Ill post more pics tomarrow night when i get more done.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:54:08 PM by boltz2012 »

boltz2012

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »
What is the minimum Length of chain i can run without it overheating it? Any ideas on this would be great. Also when the main frame is built ill start posting in the thread i started in the build logs.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
That's a good question.The answer is make it as long as you can.With the 600 I doubt you'll have as much trouble as guys with busas and such stuff. I'd say at least 60 links or so and much better if you can do more.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal