Author Topic: I am thinking of using this as a platform...  (Read 12995 times)

borris

Re: I am thinking of using this as a platform...
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »
I'd try to stay as light as possible and use a minimum of well placed tubes while using at least 1.25x.095 DOM( or 4130 not really necessary and harder to work) for the main hoops of the cockpit and chassis and use .058 for triangulation tubes. Suspension arms for a 800-1000#er would be 1.25x.120 DOM minimum and I'd prefer them be 4130. 600engine will be OK but it all depends on how freekin' crazy you are.I prefer t'boed busas myself. ;D ;D

boltz2012

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
yeah yeah... ;D me too but a 600 is all i got to work with. Gotcha on the tube thickness. Just got to rework the plans a lil bit since they were all done in 1.25 and 1".

borris

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 08:01:30 PM »
1" for what? If for diagonals that's fine.

Admin

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 08:03:20 PM »
I havent to a look yet, but well have to refigure all the radius's as well...I cant do that till sunday... ;D gone for the next 2 days...

boltz2012

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »
Yeah for the diagonals...actually thinking of going 1.25 all the way.

Admin

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
No use the 1" in the diagonals, you wont gain anything except weight by changing them to 1.25...

boltz2012

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »
OK looks like 1" it is then.... ;D That why im glad i got you guys around so i dont end up with a tank...

karman1970

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
Chromoly kinks before mild steel (higher elastic modulus, I think).  It is also very dependent on tube diameter, wall thickness, bend angle, and radius of curvature.  The thicker the wall and smaller diameter, the higher the angle and tighter the radius it can accept.

boltz2012

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »
Ok I'm going to pick up the tubing in the morning and get this thing going around lunch. Ive also decided that I'm gonna use the quad a-arms and wheels for now. I know, i know, its better if i make some but i cant afford it at this point. I'm gonna use them to start and while its running ill build the new ones and upgrade. Just gotta use whats in my means right now. Wish me luck and i guess ill be posting pics in the build log i started for this thing tomarrow night. Wish me luck and thanx for everything up till now.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 06:05:08 AM »
Git 'r done!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »
Wish it was that easy. Seems ive already hit my first stump in the road. NO ONE!!! anywhere around me carries 1.25x.095. DOM and if they order it its 4.75 a foot. WTF? This sucks so much. What am i supposed to do now. Man this blows. I need some ideas! Anybody got a solution? Thanx

boltz2012

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »
OK, good news. Found the tubing and they are calling me back. OK, bad news, its useless becouse its 1.25x.074. Thats the only place i can find this stuff. Texas sucks. I just cant fxxking believe this crap. This is enough to make me kick stuff in the shop. Ill return shortly, Going to go cut some stuff up and shoot the car with the shot gun a few times to relieve some stress.

boltz2012

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »
What do you think? Will .074 work if braced up good enough? Or will it just crush? I guess i can always go with pipe. They got alot of 1.25xsch 40. but not @#$%*ing 1.25x.095 10:

boltz2012

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »
Ok finally found someone with some tubing...not pipe. Going to check it out now. They say its .109 wall. Little thicker but thats all they got. I will just have to cut corners elswhere to save weight. Damn there went the stereo idea. :l J/K...I will figure it out. Keep you posted.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
LOL!!! Is the stress getting to you already?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal