Author Topic: Best suspension theory book?  (Read 2353 times)

tarmacblack

Best suspension theory book?
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
I'm in the middle of completely redesigning the suspension on my sand car, going from 5-link to trailing arm rear, and i'm moving the A-arms from outside frame mount to single spar style mount on the front side.

I understand bump-steer, king-pin inlination, caster, camber and ackerman well enough to fight my way through it, but I'd like to learn the theory behind unequal length A-arms and how to achieve the correct arc before I draw up the design.

Can anyone recomend a good theory book?

Or just as good recomend a website/page that will help me understand how to design the suspension from scratch?

thanks guys-

Rob

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Best suspension theory book?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
there's so many books and so many theories it'd take a year to digest it all! LOL!!The basic theory behind unequal length a arms as I understand it is that they allow camber gain as the suspension compresses. Gaining camber helps to allow the track width change without scrubbing the tire as the suspension compresses. The actual geometry can be varied to induce anti-dive and other things also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

tarmacblack

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
Thanks fabr, I guess I'll try drawing it up in some 3-D modeling software and check the arc/measure the amount of negative camber induced by the a-arm.

Are there any general guidelines to shoot for when designing a front end for a car that will mostly see sand?  What is too much camber, and what is too little?

I'm expecting the car to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 900lbs and i'd like to achieve 18" of travel front/rear. 

This book was recomended to someone else on another site, anyone read it? http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-Carroll-Smith/dp/0879380713

Admin

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »
caroll smith is Yoshis favorite book...Id suspect in any condition 5 degrees would be optimal IMO.... The key is to have negative camber above and below ride height tho...Dont ask me how, But people like bajatex and flyryder sure do figure it out...

tarmacblack

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
well, that gives me something to shoot for!  ;D 

We'll see how close I can get.  I'll be cutting the chassis apart tomorrow, I'll post up some pictures so I can get some pointers as to what i'm doing wrong! 

I'm a little nervous to post it on that other site..... lol

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
I'd agree with bug.You want to gain camber with droop and don't forget caster or kingpin inclination (steering axis inclination)either. Most agree that about 5* camber gain is good I think. Some people want a little camber at ride height and some think 0 is best.Myself I think for what I do 1-2* static is good.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm with fabr,and bug...
A book that I found to be pretty helpfull was herb adams...He's of the soft suspension and stiff sway bar thinking, road race cars
IMO... I'm a caster and rake junky cuz I run 21'' tires in the summer and 19'' studded tires in the winter, in my opinion/experiences, some rake helps to take some of the jolts out of the steering while traversing rouph or rocky terrain, plus it helps to smooth out the rouph cuz the suspension moves rearward and up ward at the same time lessening the jolt

lee1969GB

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:52:20 PM »

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 02:13:09 PM »
wich setup? bajatex posted a cad video or some one did a yr or 2 ago and showed there suspension cycling and gaining camber in both directions of ride height....

borris

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »
AS far as rake is concerned I'm of the opinion that the smaller the tires the more rake is needed and if running TALL fronts the less you need rake.As with all things buggy related it's a tightrope walk deciding what to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal