Author Topic: "smart" lawnmower  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Baloo

"smart" lawnmower
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:19:02 AM »

l just cant help myself  ::), l am laid up with a back injury and find myself with nothing to do but sit in front of the computer, ebay is such a bad thing, l think l have looked at just about everypage in the last 3 days, been very tempted on many things but ressisted, well almost ressisted  ::)
l could do with a new mower up the field to keep on top of the buggy track the one l have is made by ransomes and is a bigish out front type with a kubota 3 cylinder diesel engine, but just about everything about it requires a rebiuld and l was thinking about either a major rebiuld over the winter months or biuld one from scratch since l like biulding things,
l was thinking about starting with a suzuki sj rolling chassis and having an under slung cutting deck ( which l have ) in the middle beneath the transfer box, but what l hadent worked out was how to get the drive to the cutting deck or even how to power it, propshaft drive or belt drive or hydraulic from an engine driven pump ?
anyway all thats in the past now as l found this and won it  ;D

some of you might know l already have a body for one of these

but the body is just that a body shell with no chassis, the red one is complete except for the electric motor and batteries that used to power it, and it was cheap cheap.
the shell is made from fiberglass and sits on a box section steel chassis and has a live/beam alxe at the back

l am thinking of removing the propshaft that goes to the rear axle and leaving the rest of the back end alone so as the axle is undriven,
and then fitting a front wheel drive engine and box in the front to provide the power, the whole front end un clips and there is nothing there to get in the way of the engine so nice and easy there  and l could do all this with the body of just working on the rolling chassis
one option is a subaru justy engine and box l just happen to have as a spare for my buggy

now this has the normal driveshaft outputs to drive the front wheels but also it has an output facing the rear normally for the back axle, but in this case l was thinking of using it to drive the cutting deck, l can connect and disconnect the drive to the deck with the 4wd button on the gearstick, my only concern is whether 80hp is enough to drive the cutters and the mower, l know from using ny diesel one that tall grass sucks up the power and tries to stall the mower, l supose l should sharpen the cutting blades and give the mower a chance really ::)
the  subaru engine is petrol which is abit of a shame as diesel would have been much better as l could have run it on untaxed red diesel, l can get a front wheel drive diesel engine and auto box out of a citroen car, the auto would be a plus point as l like autos but l would loose the drive to the cutting deck,  the drive into the cutting deck is via a horizontal propshaft, l supose l could turn the deck round so as the prop enters from the rear and have another engine in the back just driving the deck ?
l am open to suggestions here ( polite ones anyway  ;) ) on how to arrange the drive train

nuts or what
Andy 

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: "smart" lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:06:59 AM »
Not nutz Andy But I think that you would need to drive the blades independent of the engine.  With the justy in second gear to run the blades fast enough to cut you would be going pretty fast for mowing. My .02.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Baloo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:30:55 AM »
thats a very good point, l wouldent want to be mowing so fast that l am cornering on 2 wheels would l  ;D
and l do fancy using a diesel auto  front wheel drive engine up front, l wonder if l could get a drive of the front off the crank pully ? chain, belt or even a hydraulic pump, that way l could gear the cutters to any speed l wanted at a particular rpm that suited a nice cutting speed
or l find a nice small diesel engine and box mount them in the back just to drive the cutting deck
but l will need hydraulic power from somewhere for to raise and lower the cutting deck,  maybe from the power steering pump ?

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »
The small engine in the back would work the best.   Or use hydraulic motors to power the wheels and that way you can control the amount of pressure to each for forward motion.  run the pump off the axle drives.  Put a diverter valve on the steering wheel for your steering. God man you really like making life hard.  Just fix the dam mower.  LMAO

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

magnum4598

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
with some fore thought you will be able to mow with ac on lol
hydr is the way to go hear drive the wheels and blades takes less power off the engine and still cuts tall grass very well look up dixie chopper they are a manufactruer of zero turn mowers the are hydrostat drive

Offline Baloo

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:47:51 AM »
where's the fun in fixing the old mower, l am looking forward to mowing with the cd player on  ;D , l think l need a bigger workshop now though

Offline Baloo

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
you boys should be talking me out of this not ecouraging me with talk of hydraulic drive  ;)
l have quite a bit of hydraulic stuff about the place including pumps, motors, spool valves and a couple of these hyd drive axles with lsd's fitted

so we take the exsisting axle out of the back and replace it with one these hyd drive ones with lsd fitted, leave the front suspension alone and fit a diesel engine with a hydraulic pump directly coupled in the front or back, and hyd motor to drive the cutting deck and we are good to go ?    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
you boys should be talking me out of this not ecouraging me with talk of hydraulic drive  ;)
l have quite a bit of hydraulic stuff about the place including pumps, motors, spool valves and a couple of these hyd drive axles with lsd's fitted

so we take the exsisting axle out of the back and replace it with one these hyd drive ones with lsd fitted, leave the front suspension alone and fit a diesel engine with a hydraulic pump directly coupled in the front or back, and hyd motor to drive the cutting deck and we are good to go ?    ;D ;D ;D ;D

There you go.  Buy controlling the flow of fluid to the rear axle your can run the little diesel motor as fast as you want for the mower and still control the forward speed of the machine.  Carry on mate your right on track.  CD AC Power Steer.  What a life. Have to start mowing the your mates lawn to repay.

magnum4598

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »
the heck with cd mp3 or ipod hook up never run out of tunes the ac is a must and dont forget extra cup holders for you buddy that want to ride along so you will mow his grass lol
make him buy the beer I can see those strait lines not so strait lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal