Author Topic: wiring, major hurdle  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
wiring, major hurdle
« on: July 17, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
i started tearing down my wiring harness last night.. not sure if its a good idea?  what did you guys do?  my plan is to remove evertything i dont need.. and extend the things that need it. i have a full color wiring diagram..  but need some ideas, opinions...
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: wiring, major hurdle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:58 AM »
Till you know FOR SURE you don't need any wire just tape it off,leave plenty to add onto if you later find out you REALLY need that wire after all.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »
Good luck.  Keeping most of the plug-in stuff close to motor so you dont have to stretch every wire was easier for me.  Only made the ones to the instrument cluster longer.  Still a pain, take time and try to use wires that are same color, when possible.

I stripped bout 3/4" off each twisted on each other, not up into a T, and soldiered them and covered with heat shrink.  the crimp conectors can work but are very bulky.  Try to stagger the splice when you have multiple wires so it might go back in some of that wire loom.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
the stuff i wanna take off, are all the blinkers.. the turn signal switch wires, the turn signal relay wires, the license plate wire, high low switch wires... unless i should keep that? but my headlights dont have high low..   just stuff i know i wont need.  they was they tangled and spliced shit together from the factory is a joke!!! everything is crimped and electrical taped.

trojan

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:46:06 AM »
Don't knock it... the Jap stuff works for it's entire life ;)

The easiest is to do like Fab says and leave it until you have it running, then do Like Carl says.

I make mine from scratch using the plugs from the harness, it's very very easy if you let it be ;)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 04:13:04 AM »

Not to bust out Mr. Logic on you - doesn't everything?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

trojan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 04:39:21 AM »
;D

I guess you have little experience with British electrics. Actually they're so bad they should be called "sparky, smokey, burning not workings", not electrics at all :P

I'd counter your point with a few memes from 'round here... not pointing fingers at anyone... Still alive, but their thinking suggests they died during the stone age....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 07:21:25 AM »

The easiest is to do like Fab says and leave it until you have it running, then do Like Carl says.

I make mine from scratch using the plugs from the harness, it's very very easy if you let it be ;)

Trojan,that's a good point . Many of us-myself included- need a bit of instruction on how to properly repin a socket and where can we find replacement sockets for OEM oddballs like the instrument cluster plug on a busa for example. Can you help us out on this? Sounds like a good sticky topic to me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Voodoochikin04

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
mu instrument cluster is not integrated like most are.. i had seperate speedo tach and fuel gauge with their own plugs...  then a panel of dummy lights and blinker indicators..  ill figure it out.

Camel

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »
Trojan,that's a good point . Many of us-myself included- need a bit of instruction on how to properly repin a socket and where can we find replacement sockets for OEM oddballs like the instrument cluster plug on a busa for example. Can you help us out on this? Sounds like a good sticky topic to me.

I've just landed $300 worth of Busa plugs.  Had to source from different suppliers all over the world.  An absolute pain in the arse.  Still haven't got the Gen I instrument cluster connector, and the six sets of MX23A plugs used on the Gen II Hayabusa ECU have been ordered, paid for and lost somewhere in transit!

If you start a sticky I'll post up what I've found to-date.  Suppliers are a different issue.  I've found that some have sold out, aren't getting more in, and the manufacturers want you to buy enough to refit every existing Hayabusa on the planet.

When I get some time I'm going to spend some time in a Jap car wrecking yard and identify which cars use the same connectors, then all we need to do is identify the pins used and source them.

Camel

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »
Done.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 11:46:34 PM »
;D

I guess you have little experience with British electrics. Actually they're so bad they should be called "sparky, smokey, burning not workings", not electrics at all :P

Ha, They don't call Lucas the Dark Lord for nothing!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal