Author Topic: my ride  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: my ride
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
So which tires do you prefer now?

I am (obviuosly by my screen name) sand biased. In the sand I will NEVER run less than 1300 Padla Traks on a buggy. Yes even a mini.

We used to spin ten paddle Skat trak haulers right off the rear of built banshees in damp sand (Dry was worse. The damp sand was at Lake Michigan level on the dragstrip in the dunes). We tired many differet sizes to different pluses and minuses.

The Banshees are under 400 pounds. With moderate horsepower.
Add a large bike motor and a few extra hundred pounds (or more) and there is no way small (or large) atv tires (even with taller hauler paddles vulcanized on) will hook it up as good as 1300's. Plus many of the Skat traks I have seen and held with 26 inch tall or taller tires buffed down and over 20 paddles vulcanized on were frigging HEAVY. One weighed more than both my Padla tracks (this was all tires WITH rims ready to bolt on). 

I will mention that I favor larger (near midi status) sizes for stability in the dunes.

I like the way Barracudas and such look. But 1300 Padlas would look funny on them. I favor a modifed Panther thats longer and wider like my old Kawi powered rail was. (It was not a panther. Just roughly similiar) My new builds are panther based but most would not know it with the changes I am working on.

On a smaller ride like BarraCuda with a BIG motor I would go with the largest molded paddle I could find. Just for long tire life.

I have seen MANY mini buggies with large ATV paddles and they spun the tires way to much. I have also seen other mini buggies (near Midi size) with Hayabusa's and tires the same size as 1300 Padla traks (they may have been) and they could get the front end airborn with HP/torque and traction. Nothing more. I'll take that option myself.  To each his own. But I see to many heavy buggies with not enough tire to hook them up.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Admin

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
Skat Tracs is what I have always ran, And always will run, The best thing about them, it is very inexpensive to have a paddle replaced, were a molded tire gets thrown in the garbage when its shot... Just my preference same as Nuts has his :)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
Personally I'm with nutz.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Islander

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
I am nowhere near any sand, nor will i be building anything to run on it.  I am a woods and trail guy, as that is what I have around me.  I just didn't want to see a brand get bashed with no alternatives given, and like to have all the knowledge I can absorb ;D

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
I am nowhere near any sand, nor will i be building anything to run on it.  I am a woods and trail guy, as that is what I have around me.  I just didn't want to see a brand get bashed with no alternatives given, and like to have all the knowledge I can absorb ;D

Nothing wrong with wanting to know at all. I just related MY expieriences and I see these tires fail daily. Its a design flaw! Its only a traction issue so no one gets hurt physically. Just in the pocket book!

Most of the people I see just go right back to the store near the dunes that sells the tires and buy new ones.

I have to admit I did not know what Bug stated about being able to get the broken paddles fixed. I will have to look into that but I am guessing it involves shipping the tire and rim to Skat-trak then the cost of the repair. Not to mention time without the tire. Still I wonder what they ask for replacing paddles and will be checking it out this next week. 

I used to ride woods all the time when younger on our quads. I even took my Pilot a few times.

IF I was to build a woods machine it would not have NEAR the motor a sand machine would have. I would also say that with a woods buggy I would be hard pressed to not have it AWD/4x4. A two wheel drive buggy with its nose in the bottom of a ravine does not back up well. Especially in mud. I know this from personal woods running too. I also have two Polaris quads. Both 400cc two stokes. Ones a 4x4 Scrambler and the others a 2wd Trailblazer. I have explored a couple "two track" roads near me with the 4x4 and had I the 2wd I would have walked out! I cleaned the machine up and only been to the dunes scince.   

But for the woods crowd it IS kinda hard to hook up big motors on what is usually some kind of hardpack with 2wd.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

artie on edge

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
But for the woods crowd it IS kinda hard to hook up big motors on what is usually some kind of hardpack with 2wd.

Are you kiddin me? That is the whole deal!!! Huge horsepower and little traction...Yeee haaaa..... balls out and .. oh fxxk...another tree........  ;D ;D

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
Get out go change ya undies, if ya miss that is. :o
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »
Are you kiddin me? That is the whole deal!!! Huge horsepower and little traction...Yeee haaaa..... balls out and .. oh fxxk...another tree........  ;D ;D

Don't get me wrong. I love a powerslide around a corner as much as anyone. But when you simply cannot hook up and everyone is passing you and your last all the time IT SUCKS!

I have both been there and seen it many times. Not enough tire to hook up means you can loose even if (sometimes expecially if) you have the most motor of the group you with. (Plus they will not let you forget it!) 

If I want to power slide I want to be able to choose when I do it by either a lower gear or momentum and a snap of the steering.

NOT because My rear tires are woefulley inadequate!

I prefer traction. Hey thats me.   

Islander

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »
I don't know about not wanting big power, my buddies old 502 powered blazer on 44's seemed to be a hell of a lot of fun to me ;D  That being said, I am going MUCH smaller and yes, 4WD.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal