Author Topic: Pavement racer lurking here...  (Read 2052 times)

avendlerdp

Pavement racer lurking here...
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Hello all-

I got a ton of useful advice and ideas over at MiniBuggy.net but it seems that after a bit of a break in my car's development I've returned and found everyone has headed over here.  Anyhow...

Just as a refresher, I am running a Honda CBR900RR powered Geo Metro as a road race car.  It's front wheel drive using a chain and that chain is way too short.  Still works though.

I am running it in a race series called "The 24 Hours of Lemons".  The deal is that the cars have to net out to less then $500.  I got a car with a blown tranny and a wrecked bike, sold the parts, kept the bike engine and ended up with a ride for less then $500.  This does not include the cage and other safety items which are not cost limited, by the way.  Many of the cars are more about silly then fast but there are a few that really haul.  Other fast cars include a Miata sporting the most ghetto junkyard turbo you have ever seen. 

The good news is we did an event in Dec.  and won it.  It was two 8 hour days and even with a super short 530 chain we managed to make it last.

Check out this link:

http://jalopnik.com/tag/racing/?id=5119427

And here too, with a in car vid that's kinda funny.

http://jalopnik.com/tag/24-hours-of-lemons-thunderhill/?id=5124245

I am headed over to the engine and drivetrain forum because I think I am going to make a run at a dual chain setup and am going to need the kind of creative input only off road builders can give.  More on this goofy car over there.

-Alex

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Pavement racer lurking here...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
Welcome,welcome,welcome.We are glad you came over. We do feel we have a very talented group to draw expertise from. Your road race experience will no doubt fall into that category.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
Yes welcome aboard...

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »
I watched that vid...Reminded me of the days when I ran enduro cars on the ovals ;D

Bug

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
DUDE !  Welcome  jj:   I gotta tell ya, that second video, the one BUGPAC reposted for you, awesome.  Glad to have you here. I can tell you'll be one of the people in this forum that others come to check out.  Having said that I've seen the chain and sprocket setup you and others in here have come up with. Keep the fantastic ideas and out of the box creations coming. And to anyone who has not seen the video, check it out.  It's worth a few good laughs and the 8 1/2 minutes.   8)

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:22:59 AM »
IMO I think that a $500 beater and some time on the track is a great idea...
Hell a couple of guys with not much in the car could really have a BANG UP TIME for less than a weekend at the bar ;D

avendlerdp

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
I wish it only cost $500!  By the time you get a cage and safety devices in the car (not counted in the $500 budget), tires, fuel, RV, tow fuel, food and the rest, it adds up fast.

That being said,  "24 Hours of Lemons" still the cheapest and most fun wheel to wheel racing I've ever done.  4 hours of track time per driver is plenty in one weekend and it's still cheap considering what racing can cost.  Plus the race organizer and staff are super nice and really try to make the event fun for all racers, fast and slow.

We are running another event in May.  Will keep you all posted.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »
I wanted to see that thing running. Great to see you got it one, and welcome!
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal