Author Topic: king vs fox vs ???  (Read 15143 times)

Offline BDKW1

Re: king vs fox vs ???
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2010, 12:53:40 PM »
I don't see what the "problem" is here. I've read the whole thread and seen you guys trying to calculate the spring force on the a-arm, but what's the problem?

And I do understand it might get more tricky to valve a shock at high ratios, but rear bike shocks have like a 4:1 ratio, and they are revalved all the time. Is valving them on the high-ratio buggy tricky just because the shock mfr.'s don't have disks with the same resolution (larger difference between each shim) as what's available for a rear shock (small differences between shim sizes)?

Bike shock piston and shim stacks are way different. It's not uncommon to see a bike piston with a stack 1/4" thick due to the high leverage ratio. You also have the shaft displacement compression control on the reservoir and the free bleed control on the shaft (Very few shocks separate rebound and compression on the shaft bleed hole which is why I call it a free bleed.) There is also a couple cubic tones of money in R&D being thrown at them by the big bike makers and an aftermarket tuning industry that would put the normal off-road suppliers to shame. Just about anything can be made to work, it just depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it.

Most of the guys running air shocks successfully aren't going on long trips or through very rough terrain. You guys in the mid west just don't have the room or terrain to put things through the paces like we do. From what I have learned over the years as a general rule of thumb, you want to stick to around 1.5-1 on the motion ratio. Higher is harder to tune and builds more heat. Lower and your shaft speeds get really high and can cause seal issues. Getting the valving right on these can also be a challenge due to how light some of the stacks need to be. A small change in the stack will make a huge difference in handling.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
never used them, is that a 16" stroke shock?  are they comparable in price? hope it was assembled right the first time!   ;D

Worlds shortest 18" shock LOL. Made them to fit a buddy's buggy so we wouldn't have to chop the frame up (more). Theres only .0625 between the end of the shaft and the weld on top cap at full bump...........

It cost's Me about 300$ a piece to make them in parts not counting labor.............

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »

Bike shock piston and shim stacks are way different. It's not uncommon to see a bike piston with a stack 1/4" thick due to the high leverage ratio. You also have the shaft displacement compression control on the reservoir and the free bleed control on the shaft (Very few shocks separate rebound and compression on the shaft bleed hole which is why I call it a free bleed.) There is also a couple cubic tones of money in R&D being thrown at them by the big bike makers and an aftermarket tuning industry that would put the normal off-road suppliers to shame. Just about anything can be made to work, it just depends on how much time and money you want to spend on it.

Most of the guys running air shocks successfully aren't going on long trips or through very rough terrain. You guys in the mid west just don't have the room or terrain to put things through the paces like we do. From what I have learned over the years as a general rule of thumb, you want to stick to around 1.5-1 on the motion ratio. Higher is harder to tune and builds more heat. Lower and your shaft speeds get really high and can cause seal issues. Getting the valving right on these can also be a challenge due to how light some of the stacks need to be. A small change in the stack will make a huge difference in handling.

now here in the midwest ie nebraska we do have desert and 1/4 of the state is sand, that sandy area bleeds down into colorado and up into south dakota. given there are fences separating it but there is still room to run full out maybe not for 20 - 100 miles but enough. I will agree that the general rule of thumb is 1.5-1! you are correct for a 50 - 500 mile race through the desert or like terrain these ratio's won't work as I stated above in fact I don't believe air shocks would cut it at all. you would need a shock more like a triple by pass coil over imo. for around here and at LS it has been my experience that these higher ratio's have actually run cooler, not from a meter but by touch.  now at LS ( virtually all sand ) and some may disagree but there isn't really room to run full out for 1+ miles simply because of the transitions and lack of room. I do believe that the transitions are enough to work the susp over good depending on how hard you running them.  but comparing LS to st anthony's or glamis is like comparing apples to watermelon just doesn't work. but bottom line is each app (design,location,driver) requires a different setup!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 05:41:01 PM by masterfabr »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »

Worlds shortest 18" shock LOL. Made them to fit a buddy's buggy so we wouldn't have to chop the frame up (more). Theres only .0625 between the end of the shaft and the weld on top cap at full bump...........

It cost's Me about 300$ a piece to make them in parts not counting labor.............

trans man was telling me about a 28" stroke shock that king makes, wonder how tall and heavy that one is!  ;D
judging them to the height of the washing machine I figured 16" but I was close.  that's not much clearance to the cap. how much oil will you be able to run like that?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
now here in the midwest ie nebraska we do have desert and 1/4 of the state is sand, that sandy area bleeds down into colorado and up into south dakota. given there are fences separating it but there is still room to run full out maybe not for 20 - 100 miles but enough. I will agree that the general rule of thumb is 1.5-1! you are correct for a 50 - 500 mile race through the desert or like terrain these ratio's won't work as I stated above in fact I don't believe air shocks would cut it at all. you would need a shock more like a triple by pass coil over imo. for around here and at LS it has been my experience that these higher ratio's have actually run cooler, not from a meter but by touch.  now at LS ( virtually all sand ) and some may disagree but there isn't really room to run full out for 1+ miles simply because of the transitions and lack of room. I do believe that the transitions are enough to work the susp over good depending on how hard you running them.  but comparing LS to st anthony's or glamis is like comparing apples to watermelon just doesn't work. but bottom line is each app (design,location,driver) requires a different setup!
BAM!! That hits the nail on the head.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Snoopy

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
BAM!         Ok, now that THAT'S finally understood,
who else BEsides fox or king makes a decent shock
for the homebuilder and a 500 pound buggy ? Thanks,snoop

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »
trans man was telling me about a 28" stroke shock that king makes, wonder how tall and heavy that one is!  ;D
judging them to the height of the washing machine I figured 16" but I was close.  that's not much clearance to the cap. how much oil will you be able to run like that?

I've seen a lifted one of the monster truck shocks. With coils I'm guessing it was over 100#'s.

Each shock has just over half a gallon of oil in it........... Using king oil in these, the coil-overs are getting some special stuff.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
BAM!! That hits the nail on the head.

Well, I like to think of it more as you can get away with some things on short trip sand cars that wouldn't fly in Baja. I guaranty you any car I set up down here would do equally well in LS........

Offline lupus1

• Peon extrordinaire
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:29 AM »
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need one to skydive twice.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:46 AM »
Has anybody had success with these?

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-SHOCKS_c_110.html

Also known as ADS shocks. They have been around a while and many parts are interchangable with King's........

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
I like the reservoir on the air shock! mark from mark sand trans told me once that fox tired that design but it was too costly and discontinued them.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2010, 12:51:30 AM »
I like the reservoir on the air shock! mark from mark sand trans told me once that fox tired that design but it was too costly and discontinued them.

Reservoirs on air shocks are tricky. There is so much shaft displacement on them that unless your reservoir hose is very large you run the risk of pressure spiking them under hard hits. The Fox air bypass shocks the rock crawler guys run have resis out the bottom but they aren't seeing the high shaft speeds that a buggy would.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »

Reservoirs on air shocks are tricky. There is so much shaft displacement on them that unless your reservoir hose is very large you run the risk of pressure spiking them under hard hits. The Fox air bypass shocks the rock crawler guys run have resis out the bottom but they aren't seeing the high shaft speeds that a buggy would.

maybe thats why fox dropped the line then.

trans man

« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »
Has anybody had success with these?

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Ballistic-SHOCKS_c_110.html
Damn,  :o :o the price on those air shocks is $282 each, you can by Fox air shocks for $240 each, just my .02. 8) 8) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal