Author Topic: Boostinjdm's Pilot  (Read 12017 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Boostinjdm's Pilot
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 11:11:11 PM »
I guess your def. of cassette is closer to the word than mine.
This is what I was thinking.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 11:13:29 PM by Boostinjdm »
This post has been edited due to content.

Gene

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 11:54:44 PM »
Mos of us would call that a center carrier. A cassette is different in that it is specifically designed to lower the CV's for reduced angle and it offers smaller sprockets. Think of two plates with upper and lower sprockets sandwiched, and a drive sprocket on the outside of the cassette for the engine to drive.

Here's a link to rorty's page showing a cassette. http://www.rorty-design.com/images/cassette01.jpg

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »
I would call that a jack shaft type arrangement.  No matter what it is called, the pic I posted is along the lines of what I was thinking.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 05:13:25 AM »
I still say, set a budget and go for it.  Besides, you will be getting some stuff off the bike you can part out????  That might raise the top value of your bid, but stick with the budget.....

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 05:30:47 AM »
how do you set a budget on a hobby or open ended project?  there are several parts on the bike that would find thier way into the buggy, or onto my bike.  the rest could be sold but this model has only been out since '06 so there doesn't seem to be much of a market for stock parts yet...I guess if I got cold feet I could fix the bike and sell it. 

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 05:39:33 AM »
how do you set a budget on a hobby or open ended project?   

Based on what you can afford and the value to you for this element/component when other options are taken into consideration.  There are other busted bikes out there to draw from if this one does not work out.

This model has only been out since '06 so there doesn't seem to be much of a market for stock parts yet..

Exactly.  The market is on a the "up swing."  Another year of being in production will result in greater demand.  Ever wonder why the cars on the top of the "stolen" list are the same as the sales leaders? Seems salvage value goes up with increase in unit sales.     
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 05:45:04 AM »
Yummi's got a good point,
Most cars/bikes/sleds are worth more in parts than they are running, I know a guy who buys new bikes just to pull the BUSA motors for his buggies, then sells the rest to the insurance companies for parts, These bikes are 0 miles off the showroom floor so to speak..

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
Ok, I been thinking on this for a while now and I think I've got a game plan.  I would like to do a chain case driven by a cvt.  This way I can design and build a part at a time to keep the major spending to a minimum, or at least spread it out.  I also found a thread by Kludge at the other site that says he used vw golf/jetta axles cuz they have a type 2? cv on the inside and a cv/stub combo on the outside.  Then he machined his own bearing carriers and used vw hubs.  I checked with the local auto store today and found out the brand new axles with cvs are about $63 each.  I have two easy choices for widths because driver and passenger axles are different lengths and cost the same.  I am not going for huge travel here so I think these axles will work nicely, especially if I don't have to modify them.  I am still undecided on the engine choice, but I do have a favorite that I am keeping an eye out for.
I will prolly end up putting my polaris 400 two smoke in for starters and swap it out for a 4-stroke sled engine later.  The one I really like is the yamaha genesis 80.  It's a 500cc twin 4-stroke putting out 80hp and I think it's fuel injected, I will have to look that up again to be sure.  I think I have a workable chaincase design, I just have to get it drawn up and find out what machining is gonna cost me.  I have not ruled out an RPM box, but that's a lot of cash in one shot that I really shouldn't spend right now.  So we'll have to see how the chain case Idea works out.  Money is money, but if I spread it out over time I don't feel so guilty for spending it on toys.  Anyways, that's were I'm at in my head. 

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
I'm thinking I want a three link rear end for simplicity.  Can anybody tell me off the top of their head how the amount of plunge would compare to a trailing arm, semi trailing arm, a-arm, or five link?

LiveWire

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
I would make it either a 5-link or a modified 5-link like the stock suspension so that you can use the original suspension mounts.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
The rear lower tubes are all going to be redone so the mounts will be lost anyways.  I was thinking the three link would mount to the original front mount and the others will be new material anyway.  Eventhough this is a pilot frame.  It won't have any pilot bolt on parts when done.  I haven't actually touched the frame yet, just been modifying in my head.  I would actually prefer to start from scratch, but as long as I have this frame, I think I'll use it.  I would be happy to sell it and start from scratch if somebody was to make a reasonable offer.  At this point, nothing is set in stone.

LiveWire

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:35 AM »
If switching to a 3 link, you would only need the rear lower link mounting point and the rear upper. If cutting anything in between those and the forward lower link mount out, I would stretch it between. The forward link could stand to be longer anyway. The upper forward point is really close, but would not be needed with a 3 link.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
I agree.  The forward mount could be moved closer or ahead of the seat belt mount.  I was planning on redoing the tubes that the tranny and motor mounted to.  Moving the curve where the tranny was farther back to allow me a little more engine and tranny room.  I have dies for 1 1/2" tube so I was just going to cut them off and bend my own.  I also need to add provisions for a motor mount plate.  I figure if I make a squareish plate and mount the motor to that then when I decide to upgrade the motor I can just make a new plate and bolt it in rather than modifying the frame again.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:46:07 PM »
chaincase parts.  I think I'm gonna do a double single setup with size 40/41 chain.  Here is what I've got drawn so far. 1.75" flange to flange,  could be narrowed a little but I thought I'd leave at leas a little clearance. ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:47:52 PM by Boostinjdm »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
Any tips on drawing cvs, sprockets, bearings?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal