Author Topic: Front End Upgrades!  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Front End Upgrades!
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
Woohoo! I git me sum front breaks! ;D ;D
Long overdue, but finally got the pieces together to finish all this up. Moved the lower shock mounts out a bit and added a couple inches to the 2.0's. New-and -improved DSrace front spindles (totally bitchin design DS! Thanks!!) Jamar front rotors and calipers.

Wilwood dual cylinder pedal with balance bar. Dial in a bias without a proportioning valve.. Still on the fence with this one.. Havent been able to mess with it enough to make an opinion up yet, but a huge improvement regardless!

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Front End Upgrades!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:49 PM »
I see your balance bar came with no adjuster locks either. I think they want us to use the remote bias adjuster or have to make your own locks . The adjuster locks look like a long hex nut with most of the hex turned off and a set screw in the end. Did yours come with them but you just have not installed? 
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:01:20 PM »
I had a set of these tires on my last work-beater to help through the Winter and they did a really good job. Then Spring came along and I found that they did an even better job in the dirt pasture and jumping terraces!  ;D So what the hell, I'll give em a shot.. Firestone Winterforce. Directional, stud-able (for any of you cold climate ice junkie folks out there) soft compound, descent side grip, and $55 bucks a tire... What could go wrong?   rofl
Mounted them up on a pair of Douglas beadlocks

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:52 PM »
I see your balance bar came with no adjuster locks either. I think they want us to use the remote bias adjuster or have to make your own locks . The adjuster locks look like a long hex nut with most of the hex turned off and a set screw in the end. Did yours come with them but you just have not installed?

The only lock that came with it is one long hex-nut. No set screw.. I have it tightened down on the Rt side. DS was telling me that you may have bent your balance bar??

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:08:32 PM »
Woohoo! I git me sum front breaks! ;D ;D

I hope it doesn't break, but just slows you down well.  ;D

Seriously, looking real good, nice compact setup!

I found the clearance that I built in to clear the beadlocks would not clear the inside of a non-beadlock Douglas wheel.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:11:36 PM »
no,just never paid attention to fact I never had one so bar would ,of course, not stay put. LOL!!!! is the hex mostly turned off your nut? Does it jam against the clevis or the trunion? It should jam against the trunion.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
no,just never paid attention to fact I never had one so bar would ,of course, not stay put. LOL!!!! is the hex mostly turned off your nut? Does it jam against the clevis or the trunion? It should jam against the trunion.

Yes, half turned down to fit between the clevis. Jams against the trunion.

So you havent had much of a chance to play with the bias than have ya?

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:17:05 PM »
I hope it doesn't break, but just slows you down well.  ;D

Seriously, looking real good, nice compact setup!

I found the clearance that I built in to clear the beadlocks would not clear the inside of a non-beadlock Douglas wheel.

Thanks Eng! Was unaware of a difference on the inside of the Douglas. Good info to know!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
Yes, half turned down to fit between the clevis. Jams against the trunion.

So you havent had much of a chance to play with the bias than have ya?
Sure ,I have. In about 2 miles it would go from full front to full rear bias all on it's own.  rofl Seriously though it won't make up for a badly balanced design. It DOES fine tune a good ,to start with, bias. Honestly ,I have no idea if my pedals came with the jam nut or if it came loose and fell off for all I know. I do know that I will use set screws in the ends of the TWO jams I'll use. Was working on just that tonite. Standard rocker arm poly locks are too large OD but might be soft enoug to turn down. I'll know tomorrow night.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:12:42 AM »
for some reason I thought you had bent that allthread shaft in your fabbr.   I don't have one in front of me right now but what about drilling a hole through the rod and using safety wire?

btw I was over at enemy's last sun and it looks better in person!! nice work as always!!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

pipelayer

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »
looks sexy  ;) I have a couple questions what size are those tires? and who sales those front brakes and spindles? and do they come with hubs for a 5on4.5" pattern ?

Brian

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Thanks DS! And thanks for the help on getting it lined up!

looks sexy  ;) I have a couple questions what size are those tires? and who sales those front brakes and spindles? and do they come with hubs for a 5on4.5" pattern ?

Brian
Thanks Brian!
The Firestone's are a 205/70R15  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=07SR5FWF&tab=Sizes

Got the hubs through Moore's http://www.mooreparts.com/store/product/7214/JAM-DB407540/
Not sure if that pattern is offered? Would have to do some looking..

pipelayer

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
thanks and how about the spindles uprights

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
Those are of DS's design. He would be the one to chat with about them and hook ya up

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
let me know how the test drive goes with those new sticky tires!! lol

I am officially out of the spindles right now but you can call if you like.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal