Author Topic: 600cc 2 seater Wood buggy build  (Read 30998 times)

SPEC

Re: 600cc 2 seater Wood buggy build
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2008, 04:38:56 AM »
Here's another approach to your A-arm dilemma.
This is the front end on the last buggy I built for the woods...These pix are early in the build so bear with me...
1st shows how to get rake by twisting the mounts on the tube and keeping the rack in line with the steering arm on the spindle...Altho I built these spindles the theory is pertinent to your build

boltz2012

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 01:25:22 AM »
Thank's for all the help fellas. I got to put this thing on hold for a day or two and see if i can find tabs somewhere. I also got to get yet another welding machine. This time i aint efin around with it...im gonna go out and get a real good one. Tired of these things working for a day then they start acting all stupid and jumping around on the heat. I tried to make some tabs but they look like ass so i ripped it all back off. And Spec im using the arms off a 2001 warrior. Dont know what J arms are but i dont think i have them cuz mine look like everyone else's here. I think im just gonna suck it up and go buy the stuff to build my own damn arms. And to build my own trailing arms to. I just got to find somewhere to get tabs from. I need to buy them by the # cuz i seem to go through alot of them. I need a plasma cutter if im gonna make my own tabs. But I still think they would look like ass. Finally got some rims that will fit the honda hubs and got the tranny dropped.

I also think i figured this shifter delima out. Ill have to test it out when i get that far. But i think i got it. Also Bug...I need to see if you can make me one of those blocks like you have on your clutch cable so you can run a morse able for the clutch. Let me know what you want for one and ill get it. Pedals came in today. To tell you the truth if i was to do another buggy i would do it different. Like get stuff laser cut with the files i got with the plans so its like putting together a puzzle. i guess thats about it for today. I did alot of stuff today...only to acomplish nothing. :] But hey...i know how not to do it now.

boltz2012

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 02:38:53 AM »
Question for the suspension guru's. The arms i have will work. Only the front side...(nose of the buggy) are exactly 3" to short. So this is my question. If i made one arm on the top and bottom 3" longer will that change anything? Just extend them to meet the frame cuz i dont like the idea of having tabs hnging way off the buggy. Below are some examples of what im talking about.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 03:05:29 AM »
i made all my own tabs. just buy some length of 1/4 or 3/16 x 1 inch flat stock.   then the easiest way i have found is to measure all your tabs out on one peice, including blade thickness of your bandsaw. then mark your holes. drill the holes first for each tab. then go back and cut all the tabs where you measured them.  make sense? if not ill draw you a picture.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

SPEC

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 05:18:28 AM »
I think I may have messed you up boltz, it is fine for the A-arms to angle towards the front on the flat plane as lond as the suspension doesn't angle towards the front during compression...If you go back and take a look at the last pix I posted, you will see that when the suspension is cycled the spindle moves rearward...What size tabs you need? I have some extra CNC'ed ones, they are slick as hell...Plus I can cut them to whay ever thickness I like...and put the holes where I like as well

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 06:08:38 AM »
Thank's for all the help fellas. I got to put this thing on hold for a day or two and see if i can find tabs somewhere. I also got to get yet another welding machine. This time i aint efin around with it...im gonna go out and get a real good one. Tired of these things working for a day then they start acting all stupid and jumping around on the heat. I tried to make some tabs but they look like ass so i ripped it all back off. And Spec im using the arms off a 2001 warrior. Dont know what J arms are but i dont think i have them cuz mine look like everyone else's here. I think im just gonna suck it up and go buy the stuff to build my own damn arms. And to build my own trailing arms to. I just got to find somewhere to get tabs from. I need to buy them by the # cuz i seem to go through alot of them. I need a plasma cutter if im gonna make my own tabs. But I still think they would look like ass. Finally got some rims that will fit the honda hubs and got the tranny dropped.

I also think i figured this shifter delima out. Ill have to test it out when i get that far. But i think i got it. Also Bug...I need to see if you can make me one of those blocks like you have on your clutch cable so you can run a morse able for the clutch. Let me know what you want for one and ill get it. Pedals came in today. To tell you the truth if i was to do another buggy i would do it different. Like get stuff laser cut with the files i got with the plans so its like putting together a puzzle. i guess thats about it for today. I did alot of stuff today...only to acomplish nothing. :] But hey...i know how not to do it now.
LOL!! That's a great post! I'm not laughing at you ,I'm laughing WITH you.BTDT,lesson learned!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
i made all my own tabs. just buy some length of 1/4 or 3/16 x 1 inch flat stock.   then the easiest way i have found is to measure all your tabs out on one peice, including blade thickness of your bandsaw. then mark your holes. drill the holes first for each tab. then go back and cut all the tabs where you measured them.  make sense? if not ill draw you a picture.
I'
I've done boatloads like that. They come out pretty decent.If you have a disc sander you can make very nice radiused corners.I stack the cut to length tabs in a drill press vice and use the holesaw to cut the radiused ends.Pretty quick and cheap.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

boltz2012

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Ha Ha funnny funny...Yokes on me...J/K. I need the tabs whatever size they are in the pictuer will work fine. 1/4 " I guess. Let me know what you want for them. Also i need some that are longer. Like 3" would be perfect. let me know.

SPEC

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »
Boltz,
 They cost me a bout $1.75 apeice...How many you need and what size holes or do you want to drill your own...It might be easier for you to drill your own if you have a drill press..
The reason being, your quad shocks are metric bolts, you'll prolly want 3/8 holes for some tabs and 7/16'' or 1/2'' for others, And you'll know the placement of the holes better than me guessing your clearance here

Admin

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »
Bolt, rob a team moto has some pre fabbed trailing arms as well, I was browsing his site the other night and noticed them, and since have seen some feedback on them, may be a good alternative to making some...

boltz2012

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 01:52:34 AM »
OK been real busy of late and im waiting to get some tabs in that i had cut. Checked out the arms bug and they will work fine. BUT...has anyone ever looked at the suspension on an RC10? Its a nitro methane powered Rc car and the suspension works pretty well on it. Take a look and let me know what you think. I will try to post some picks of it on the next few days. Hopefully in the next week ill have a roller.   ;D

boltz2012

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 10:13:47 AM »
Will suspension set up like this work? This is how mine will be set up if i dont change anything and just mount it to my frame. Oh and sorry dentech but i hijacked your pic.

Admin

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »
Should work fine, the geometry may suffer a little here or there, but i guess it will work with the atv arms like that...

boltz2012

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »
So this will work even though they are pitched forwards?...sweet cuz that what im gonna do. How does the geometry suffer? they will be mounted in the same spots as the quad.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
I know you are hip deep in suspension but I will say a tranny tidbit. If you support just the outer part of the input with a bearing the tranny input will likely fail. You need a bearing on each side of the sprocket. The shaft cannot have any side loads being imparted into the tranny itself. Only rotational loads if you want it to last. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal